SaltCritters.com

DIY 70watt or 150w MH HQI pendant

reefriot

Dont catalina suck WraSSe??

arent those are the cheap bulbs dat start out fine but end up burning themselves out??...no bashing...but theres alot of warning from those bulbs..

like someone else in this post said about the 20L would 2 70w mh be better than 1 150?

is there any additional housing anyone can think of to maybe put these regents i mean theyre nice but it could be made better...its late and ill post anytin i might think of...

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I have My ballast, fixture and bulb..

Granted Im not to dumb.. but I saw back in the beginning. of this thread that was all I needed... But, where and what kind of plug do I need to also buy??

Reefer_Buddha

youre gona have to wire it to a grounded plug for the wall socket. Dont ask me im electrically stupid so ill probably be asking the same question when i get all my sh*t too

I would recommend a 3 wire 12 gauge. the green wire needs to be attached to any thing green and anything metal. The ballast will more than likely have a green wire an the houseing is metal, so make sure you run a ground wire from the outlet to the ballast and then to the housing. Got it :) Also DONT forget the GFI.

Smaug

darren-THEFISHMAN

i have a question HOW ABOUT THE UV LIGH or ub light the metal halide gives out isnt that ###### bad!!!! what do u guys to to filter it???

Has anyone tried using the 150W bulb with any of the Regent fixtures? It appears that you guys are having problems getting the 70W to fit let alone the 150.

I wanna put a 20L acro tank up and need all the intensity I can get.

Reefer_Buddha

only reason there's a problem fitting the bulbs in is because there are many regent fixtures and only one the EQ300 will fit it perfectly. Not sure if a 150 will just go in i think you need to trim the end caps for that

roadie, for a 150 watt you will need the regent 500 watt series. They are similar to the 300 watt madels used for the 70 watt, only larger to fit the 150's.

Originally posted by OxInYourBox

Got pics of the mounting Von?  

Wardo and T?@7 what bulbs were used?  

Thanks in advance.

Ox

Sorry, I haven't seen this thread in a while. I basically gutted the regent fixture, and attached it to the lamp using a long bolt. I believe someone on RC did the same thing, but he/she attached theirs differently.

Mr_NanoReefer

What is the best 70watt bulb to get and where's the best place to purchase?

hellolights.com has both Aqualine and Ushio. Aqualine is $20 more, which leads me to think this is the better bulb... but what makes this bulb better?

I plan on running 70w mh without any actinic pc's so blue tones may be important. I read a previous post stating that electronic balasts provide more blue tones... not too familiar with metal halides so any help is appreciated.

Reefer_Buddha

most ppl like ushio 10k. Thats what i plan on running. If you wana use actinic supplementation thats fine but if you dont want to then use a 20k bulb, supposed to be bluer and actinic isnt needed.

Reefer_Buddha

well i thought there was a 20k 70w but i called hellolights and they said there arent any, even tho a yahoo search showed someone bought a Tunze 20k 70w so i duno.

Mr_NanoReefer

Thanks Reefer_Buddha.

I'm definitely going with this 70w mh setup. My local HD is special ordering regent #qf300... I just need to get my bulb and ballast.

How high off the water are you guys mounting your lights? Are you going with an open top to keep the temp down?

Sweet. Thanks Von. I may have to do that at work for a "professional" look. :)

On a different note could everyone post the model fixture they're using and with what bulb and if they had to modify or replace the endcaps? This would make life easier for those trying to figure out what has to be done to which model if the plug and play ones aren't available to them.

The Regent WQ300 can be modified to fit the Ushio 10K bulb. The picture on the box is a house with a wrap around porch and says "Regent Floodlight 300 watt halogen floodlight"

with a yellow cirlce that says "Coverplate and premium 300 watt bulb included" and has a 2 year warranty.

The catch is that you need a dremel with a grinding stone (preferabbly a thich disk) bit. The bulb holder actually says 500W on it. The connectors are at the right place, you just have to grind the ceramic (less than 5 minutes with the dremel revving up high) enough to allow the bulb to get to the connectors

Some pics;

Here is the box, the lamp, the lampholder (pulled out of pendant)

Archived