Pod Your Reef

DIY 70watt or 150w MH HQI pendant

reefriot

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

liquid..is that light a 10k? how do you think it is doing witht he coloration of your corals, or without actinic? im thinking about setting one of these up but am wondering if i would need actinic.

hey all if your looking for a decent priced 70w USHIO 10k bulb. Dr. Foster and Smith seem to be clearing them out for 69.00. about the cheapest i've found for an ushio. if anyone else knows where to find them cheaper let us know

Hi folks. I've been trying to figure out a cheap way to get MH on my 10 gallon... I had a bulb and ballast off eBay, but I didn't want to spend big bucks to buy (or big time to build) a fixture. I saw this thread this morning, ran to Home Depot on the way home, and now have a functional 70W pendant. Thanks a million for the tip!

Now, I gotta figure out how to mount the darn thing... I don't think the spouse unit is going to let me mount it to the wall, and I don't think it would reach the middle of the tank very well anyway. Does anyone have any ideas?

well you can build a canopy(if you don't already have one) and then mount the arm on the inside of the canopy. i did the same thing with an 18gal cube tank and a 150w HQI in one of these pendants.

Originally posted by LiQuiD

? ???

i'm sorry, i was under the impression that these ballasts were from ebay, must be wrong thread. where did you guys get your ballast from?

Originally posted by reefriot:

... 70w USHIO 10k bulb. Dr. Foster and Smith seem to be clearing them out for 69.00...

Those aren't made by Ushio. I emailed them and they responded that those are Aqua Medic Aqualine bulbs. Not a bad price for the 70W Aqualine 10,000K MH.

yes, i ran a 150w AB bulb and really liked the color. there bluer than an ushio. i think there a true 13k but labeled a 10k.

Originally posted by reefriot

well you can build a canopy(if you don't already have one) and then mount the arm on the inside of the canopy.  i did the same thing with an 18gal cube tank and a 150w HQI in one of these pendants.

I thought about that, but I have a fear that it will look silly putting a canopy tall enough to fit this fixture on a ten gallon tank. That, and I'm a tad concerned about heat buildup. I'm thinking now about just mounting the thing on a ~2 foot 1x6 and using a few 1x1s to build legs to support it over the tank. That may look goofy too, I'm not sure. It'll be less time-consuming than a canopy, though.

Incidentally, I'm using an Aromat ballast and a Catalina 70W HQI from eBay, I haven't looked at it over the tank but I did fire it up, and holy @%# is it bright and blue-white. I'll have less than $100 invested in the whole lighting setup when I'm done.

OK I just built a custom stand and canopy for my new tank (20Gallon High) that I am going to set up. All I have to do now is get them stained. Pics coming soon (#$@@ camera)

I totally want MH lights and I want to be able to keep anything that I want in the tank, i.e. clams, sps, whatever!!

In my canopy I built in two 3.5” fans to keep cool airflow going thru the top. And I have like 24”Long 8” High and 15” Wide of room up in the canopy for lights, would this thread be the way to go???

I am not two worried about heat because I am going to have a chiller on this tank, that is located in the sump, along with the filters, heater, and other good stuff. I have put a lot of thinking into this tank and now that I am on the lighting issue I want the best. I know this way would be kind of jerry rigged but it looks like it would work. Would the Wattage be ok if I had 2 150’s up in the canopy?

Please help me on this dilemma

Good thread. I can see it's fairly easy upgrading to a 70w lighting system in this manner. But does a 70w MH throw a better light than say a 96w Power Compact? Or a 2x36w PC?

It is more intense i would still supplement with a 27 36 or 55 watt blue or actinic depending on how much length you have on the tank. 20000k are really not that bright and i am not sure someone makes a 70 watt 20k

Nevermind, I found it. Regent EQ300WL. I just never realized they were vented. Only problem is my bulb won't fit. I need to grind away a little bit of the top of the ceramic holders since the glass on the 70w de bulbs is bigger than the halogen bulbs. I have the AB 10K bulb. I know Liquid mentioned his bulb fit right in. I guess the glass on the Ushio bulb is a little smaller than the AB bulb.

Ron

Archived