Coral Vue Hydros

DIY 70watt or 150w MH HQI pendant

reefriot

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only question I have is.....how tall would a hood ahve to be to fit this inside of it? This would be going over a 10 gallon with a 28W actnic as a supplement.

Could I cut a hole in the top of my canopy and mount the light to where it fits in that hole? My canopy puts the lights at 5.5" off the glass top now. Then just mount the light to the canopy somehow?

you can do what ever you like, personally i think that would look kinda lame. why not just use the mounting arm from the pendant and the base and use 2 screws and mount it to the wall behind the tank? it has an ajustment screw on the side to swing it up out of the way when you need to get into tank

use the search feature and look for what your after instead of asking a ton of questions. i don't mind helping when i can but i don't know anything about your set-up , or what your really looking to do with this.

check the members tanks out for ideas

i started with a 150w on my 7gal mini but found it was too much for the coralline to grow nice and a few zoo's lost some of there color but the growth was good. i have switched to the 70w and like it alot better. still good growth and nice color. just make sure to do an open water set-up unless you want to buy a chiller

• 2 weeks later...

Question. I have my ballast, capacitor , lamp , reflector and lamp connections, But my wiring kit says there is an ignitor? If I have a probe start bulb, do I need the ignitor? If not, do I just cap off those wires? Thanks

if its a probe start ballast then its not a HQI ballast. most HQI ballast are either electronic or a pulse start version with a ignitor. gives the bulb an extra surge of power at start up to fire the bulb.

Ok so i need the ignitor? Damn. I didn't see anything about needing it for my setup while researching researching ballasts. So what are others doing then?

My bad, I was only assuming it was a probe start.

well you need to find out what type of ballast it is. since its a magnetic type look to see what the ansi code is. if its a 70w it needs to be a M85. if its a 150w it needs to be a M81. these are HQI ballasts. the other type is 70w M98 and 150w M102, these are pulse start ballast and may fire some DE bulbs but not recommened. if your ballast is the M98 or 102 then you can try a DE bulb or use a iwasaki 65k SE bulb or just get another ballast. the electronic are your best bet. pretty cheap if you do your research and most will fire any bulb. good luck

Originally posted by xclan

anyone know where to find the ballasts cheap? the ones i am finding are 55$ to 65$

Check my thread.. I have 3 left.....

Im really interested into getting this setup, but is there a reason why we are limited to only 75w and 150w? I only ask because I see more 175w mh ballasts for sale than 150w's.

Also what is a good price for a 150w and where can I find it? I've searched the web, but haven't really come up with anything good.

TIA,

Tam

the reason where using 70 or 150 watt ballast is that were using an HQI bulb which is much smaller than a Mogule base bulb(IE 175w 250w 400w). the DIY pendants are not quite big enough to house a mogule base bulb. electronic ballasts are your best bet usually made for industrial outdoor use. fulham, aromat,WPI, Reliable, ect.

Thanks for the reply reefriot.

So the 175w ballasts I've seen must have been the type for the mogul setups? Just trying to clear this up.

I would also like to know where I can obtain a 150w electronic ballast for a reasonable price...

Archived