Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY 70watt or 150w MH HQI pendant

reefriot

Gerard the fish

Also electronic ballast have a saftey feature native to thier design if it suddenly shuts off unplug it from its power source double-check your connections and try again. Bare in mind you may have to wait up to 30-45 for your ballast to "reset".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello guys!

I'm going to do the same what have been descussed above. I have found very nice Halogen lamp projector for secured area.

Can you sugest me please what size halogen projector (In watts) I need for 150 watt HQI DE bulb .

Thank you in advance.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

What type of 70w bulb fits with out haveing to mod the pendant?? An I been looking for an Ele ballasts an I can't find one keep finding M85 magnetic ones :| help?!?

It looks like everyone is doing this with 70 watt bulbs. Has anyone tried this with a 150?

I am going to try to use these on a 46 gallon bow front.

Do you think I should use 2 150w or do you think that 2 70w would be enough?

tackman I'm going to do the same thing as you and I have no idea whay Halogen projector we need to use 500watt may be. I the begin of this thread someone said that 150watt HQI need another lamp holder that could be replaced.

I have found ready homedepot HQI security projector with magnetic ballance for 60$, but it looks ugly so I want to create one from something else.

• 2 weeks later...

where in the us can i get the tunze 70watt 15k bulb? I won't be going to germany anytime in hte foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...

My 70W MH is great. Lots of good growth on SPS and stuff. I'm moving on up to a 40 gallon breeder with it's own 175W. Might use my nano as a simple growout/prop tank.

No heat issues, nothing has shorted or burned down my house. It's great!

V

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump, I am interested in putting one of these together. Now that several people have been running them for a while, what's the verdict?

The 150 watt question hasn't really been answered, although on a recent thread someone has done it, abit with modifying the holders like every one has been doing (no drop in solution yet). What about a 250 watt?

Sam

• 4 weeks later...
starting_dude

Great idea.. I was looking for some thing like this for the past week ..

I am going to HD now to see what i can find :)

Could you please correct if this is wrong :

I need

- Regent flood light from Home depot

- A balast HID 75W ballast (From HD too? )

- A MH bulb from some online store? WIll i get this in HomeDepot?

Will wait for your reply before starting to HD :)

Thanks for the help guys ..

• 2 months later...

I made a 150 watt version w/ a M102 magnetic ballast firing a coralvue 20k bulb, soon to be a 10k hamilton or xm (possibly) in a newer regent fixture-GP500WL, available at your local wal-mart, hd, or lowes. And, I used the $10 hellolights 150 watt standard endcaps w/ metal spacer. Just redrilled the metal part and it was a drop in, quick and easy solution!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've actually taken the time to read through all this- I've checked online for the 500 watt regent and it looks like they've changed the model to a opaque dome rather than the old style you;ve all used- opinions/ideas on the following set-ups? 10 g. with a 70 watt and a 55g with either one 150 or 2 70's (i'm only aiming for shrooms in the 55, i know someone'll say it's not enough light, but with an actual water volume of less than 50 (minus sand, rock, etc) this'll put me at 3+w/gal. thanks-and i have been looking, but anyone seen any recent places to buy the WPI or aromat ballasts cheaply? happy holidays all

Archived