Pod Your Reef

DIY 70watt or 150w MH HQI pendant

reefriot

What is the color like on the XM's? I am thinking about 10k's, but don't have actinics (that could cange but doubt it) and hate yellow. The new Phoniex's look intresting, and I am also considering the AB 10k (more like 13k) and the XM 20k's, but I haven't seen an actual par rating on the 150 watt de xm's, just the 250 se versions, and I have been assuming they are similar and perform well too.

Sam

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

duh pfl!!! buy one of physh1's ato setups and use the float in the sump! the return could hang on the back of the tank just a little ways above the water! check out www.californiareefs.com i haven't ordered from him yet but am planning on it for one of my tanks and for my gf's tank.

I just picked up the Lumark EQ300 at Home Depot and it appears to be the same thing as the Reliant. $8.96 total cost. It also is vented in the back (at the top if you use it as a pendant). :)

My biggest problem now is finding the electronic ballast to use with the bulb. I've tried Ebay, but there is only one out there. Can anyone point me to a good online source for the electronic 70W MH ballasts for this project? If possible, please provide Mfr and model number so I stick with the right stuff.

Also a good reliable supplier for the bulbs, though I have that from re-reading the thread and finding those online isn't hard.

Jay

Originally posted by yoshiod9

fade2black(paul) runs this site.  http://www.firstclassaquatics.com/

he's a really nice guy and he sells some quality stuff.  check out the ballasts from lampdr. on his site(of you can buy the setup for 145 shipped!).

Thanks! I found this site 30 minutes after I posted (just my luck). When you consider the cost of the ballast and the bulb alone are going to run you $130 - $150 online, this is a steal of a deal! Someone supposidly is working a power buy on it in another forum so i'm going to see if that works out. If not, I'll buy myself.

Jay

redparrotbubbles85

How exactly do you ground the ballast (one used in the first post) to the fixture. the fixture i bought has a copper wire coming from the lighting area, but also has another copper wire on the circular thing that is used to mount it. on the thing used to mount the fixture the copper wire is screwed into it. is this what i will connect the green wire from the ballast as well as the copper wire from the light area of the fixture to in order to groung the whole thing? also to plug it in would i need to get a three prong thing or a two prong thing (sorry cant remeber the name of it.) thanks a lot all.

ProFlatlander15

yoshio, i would definitely go w/ a ato in the fuge but i want the water to go into the display tank because of the noise. my drain to my fuge makes a little bit of a gurgling so when i top off, i pour the water into the top to make the level in the display high, and that usually keeps it queit for a while. w/ and ato feeding into the top, i could keep the level constantly higher and it would never make noise.

• 3 months later...

Hey jlovell,

Can you tell me where this other forum is for the power buy? PM me if you feel it's more appropriate.

Thanks,

Gil

That is pretty much as good as it gets, if that is SHIPPED. If not, check e-bay (its like $15 to ship b/c of magnet weight)

Sam

I picked up a Regent EQ300WL Bronze fixture today to light my 6 gal JBJ Nanocube. This may sound stupid, but after looking at the diagram for wiring an Aromat 70W ballast and looking at the fixture, I became confused. I understand that the fixture is ment to be hardwired to an electrical supply. The ballast has a ground, and so does my fixture. What do I do with the ground on the Regent fixture? The power cord is grounded, so the ground on the ballast goes there, but what about on the Regent?

OMG, this thread has been around since 8-16-03. Great info though, I may have found my new light fixture. Thanks Reefriot!!

• 2 weeks later...

How do the catalina bulbs hold up? They are cheap, are they also crappy? or do they last ok? I just picked up 2 regent fixtures from HD. They were on clearance... $4 each! hehehehe I bid on an e-bay balast, and will order a bulb once I figure out which one I want. I think i'm going to run 2x 70W 10k over my 29 gallon. That should be more than enough light, and if one bulb or balast goes out, there will still be some light on the tank while waiting on replacement parts.

ProFlatlander15

cataline bulbs (from what i hear) are sort of a hit or miss. some people have good luck with them, but others have trouble with the bulb firing, wearing out, etc. i am going to do dual 150W on my 29g, i dont know if the 70W have enough power to get alotta light down to the bottom. depends one what you plan to keep though. i am using this thread for my own lighting fixtures as well.

I will be keeping mostly soft corals toward the bottom, and some SPS up top. Hopefully the lighting will be enough with the 70w's! We'll see.

I reconmend (after a bunch of reading and personal experience) that you use nothing less than 150 watts/bulb on a tank 18" or deeper (like the 29g). 70 is fine for the shallow tanks, but you need wattage/bulb, even for sps at the top. Dual 150's, their are GOOD deals (electronic ballast and fully built pendant for $200) on 250 watt de setups, which is prbly a better choice than dual 150's, and such are the way to go. In the end, dual 150's is going to cost about the same as dual 70's, so I would go that route or a 250 de setup.

Sam

Just a quick question, will 2x70W DE Regent fixtures be good to light a 20 gal Long? The goal is to keep sps corals. I'm building somewhat of a "reef crest" in the aquarium which will extend about 1/3 of the tanks hight upward. So in the end there is only roughly 8" between the bottom and the surface.

Malawianpro

Man this thread rocks old but rocks. Does anyone know if the same regeant is still availble at HD? and how much it runs? a am in need of ballast, what do i look for? like on ebay..

Malawianpro

I went today to the HD and found it, they only had white so waiting til the black is restocked, since they had it too just out, here's pic of it at HD just under $14:

Picture a little fuzzy was taken with my camera phone:

DIYHQI.jpg

Any idea what the ballast runs?

Archived