Innovative Marine Aquariums

travisurfer's 1.25g Pico

travisurfer

the camera will displace a lot of water

I had just such an experience using a clear freezer bag with my camera while trying to get that top down shot of League. <_<

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had just such an experience using a clear freezer bag with my camera while trying to get that top down shot of League. <_<

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've done something like that. Not this time though. I got some shots, but I have to look through them- not sure how many of them came out. Underwater macro seems kinda meh at the moment. Need to get used to the camera too though. I also found out that you can turn on a built-in led while in macro mode for night shots. :bling:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an example of the different kinds of angles you can get with an underwater camera:

PC270007.jpg

The FTS shot ;)

PC300062.jpg

Most of the underwater shots had nice angles and whatnot but, for whatever reason, the quality just wasn't as good. I'm still getting used to the camera OUT of the water, so yeah. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How're things going Travis? The tanks still good?

You guys have an orange Chevy Nova wagon, don't you?

travisurfer
How're things going Travis? The tanks still good?

You guys have an orange Chevy Nova wagon, don't you?

Things are great. I was just thinking about getting an update together soon- should have one in a few days. I really haven't been on n-r as much due to focusing on schoolwork and whatnot but the tanks are doing quite well.

Yes, we have an orange Chevy Nova wagon.

Things are great. I was just thinking about getting an update together soon- should have one in a few days. I really haven't been on n-r as much due to focusing on schoolwork and whatnot but the tanks are doing quite well.

Yes, we have an orange Chevy Nova wagon.

Cool. Good to hear things are well.

I assume your orange nova wagon has Sweetwater rack pads and BP plates front and rear. If so, I saw ya'll the other day at University Landing. I was in Krazy's Pizza eating. That car is gorgeous.

travisurfer
Cool. Good to hear things are well.

I assume your orange nova wagon has Sweetwater rack pads and BP plates front and rear. If so, I saw ya'll the other day at University Landing. I was in Krazy's Pizza eating. That car is gorgeous.

Haha, that's the one. We were out eating at Bdobo's.

travisurfer

Pico Update: Ok, so I don't really know where to begin except that I really enjoy this tank. Water changes are more or less optional, there is almost no algae growth except for some occasional coralline on the back wall, I have yet to add any snails or hermits to the tank because the abundance of bristle worms, peanut worms, sponges, and limpets clean everything up quite nicely, and all of the corals are great with the exception of the star polyps that have been dying since I setup the tank-when I got the rock, the local fish store had it in colder water to kill off the mojano anemones and the star polyps never really recovered. I recently cut a piece of acrylic to cover the top of the tank and cut down on evaporation so now I really only top off the tank every few days. Needless to say, I'm really impressed with how stable this tiny tank has been. Here's a quick pic of the majority of the corals congregated towards the top of the tank.

picocorals3-12.jpg

Of course, I had to take the obligatory full tank shot as well. As you can see, the base rock is starting to blend in a bit more and everything is starting to look more natural. I'll work on getting better pictures at some point or another. I didn't really feel like turning the filter off and letting everything settled down to get a clearer shot, but you get the idea.

picofts3-12.jpg

Future Plans: I have decided that I would really like to try to keep this tank with me when I go off to the dorms in college. Because I never have to feed it or really do water changes either, it would be easy enough as far as maintenance goes. More or less, I would just have to determine a way to top it off during the shorter breaks, but it is still small enough that moving it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I haven't really decided what I am going to do yet, but I do want at least some kind of tie to a reef in the dorm. If I don't bring the reef, I definitely want to get a mangrove propagule so there is some life in the room. Anyway, I have yet to really decide what I want to do with my 10g yet. As of now, it is becoming more of a hassle. Unlike the pico, I have to do water changes and of course feed my clown and shrimp on a daily basis so it is starting to feel like a strain on my time and resources. It is still the remnants of my first tank so it would be a shame to get rid of it, but I definitely cannot take it to college so I'd have to do something with it by summer's end. I just have to decide if it is worth keeping around until then or if I should start looking for someone else who might want it. I think that about sums everything up. I haven't really been that active on the forums lately because my knee is better leaving me able to go outside and run again and the fact that I am more or less just trying to get by until graduation in three months. Any comments or input would be much appreciated. Hope all is well with everyone else and their tanks.

I'd be willing to take all your corals and maybe the rock from the 10. I could keep the rock in the sump seperate from mine. Once you're ready to have it back it's yours, minus a frag of everything of course! The only thing I don't know that I could make room for would be the clown. All of my tanks have 2 clowns in them already. I'd probably buy the MH and the powerhead(s) from you if you were willing as well.

Glad the pico is doing well! Not sure what to say about the 10gal. though. I have enough trouble deciding what to do with my own tanks. :P

travisurfer
I'd be willing to take all your corals and maybe the rock from the 10. I could keep the rock in the sump seperate from mine. Once you're ready to have it back it's yours, minus a frag of everything of course! The only thing I don't know that I could make room for would be the clown. All of my tanks have 2 clowns in them already. I'd probably buy the MH and the powerhead(s) from you if you were willing as well.

That really sounds like an awesome offer Chris- of course there is also that giant green sinularia in the 10g... We could definitely work out something once I figure out what I am going to do, but I would definitely like to pass things over to someone I know than to sell everything to some random person on craigslist or the carolina aquarium forum, which is actually a decent site by the way. My only real attachments to the tank are the two rocks that Cozmo had tunneled into and made home. I do still have that 65w pc that I was going to trade you at some point for zoas if you still wanted it. By the way, how are you doing? ;)

Glad the pico is doing well! Not sure what to say about the 10gal. though. I have enough trouble decided what to do with my own tanks. :P

Thanks lani. :happy:

Archived