Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

travisurfer's 1.25g Pico

travisurfer

Good to see you too Travis. Your pico looks great!

Everything seems good in the 20. I never actually saw the pistol shrimp make it into the 20, but he's not in any of the buckets and I'm 99% sure he's not in the leftover sand in my old 10 (I sifted it pretty good, twice), so he's gotta be in the 20. I've got to re-scape since it was too cloudy to see the other day to really make it pretty. Once I do that I will start a new thread with pictures.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
travisurfer
Good to see you too Travis. Your pico looks great!

Everything seems good in the 20. I never actually saw the pistol shrimp make it into the 20, but he's not in any of the buckets and I'm 99% sure he's not in the leftover sand in my old 10 (I sifted it pretty good, twice), so he's gotta be in the 20. I've got to re-scape since it was too cloudy to see the other day to really make it pretty. Once I do that I will start a new thread with pictures.

Awesome, I'm guessing the pistol is just hiding after the move. I'm definitely waiting for the pics. :D

Awesome, I'm guessing the pistol is just hiding after the move. I'm definitely waiting for the pics. :D

Yeah, I figured he'd hide for awhile, it's just a matter of where he hid during the move. I hope in one of the rocks so that I know he made it into the new tank. I'm working late tonight, so I'll probably rearrange the tank tomorrow and give it tomorrow night to settle. So I think I can take some pictures thursday evening.

travisurfer
Yeah, I figured he'd hide for awhile, it's just a matter of where he hid during the move. I hope in one of the rocks so that I know he made it into the new tank. I'm working late tonight, so I'll probably rearrange the tank tomorrow and give it tomorrow night to settle. So I think I can take some pictures thursday evening.

Sounds like a good plan.

The blue mushroom and the green sinularia are still recovering after the low flow situation from the ricordea stuck in the filter intake; surprisingly, the ricordea was one of the first to open up again. I'm going to give it a few more days and then get some decent pictures up.

The pistol was out and about building his new burrow last night when I got home, so that's good news. Too bad I'm gonna rearrange everything on him tonight.

travisurfer
The pistol was out and about building his new burrow last night when I got home, so that's good news. Too bad I'm gonna rearrange everything on him tonight.

Awesome, glad to here he is doing well.

The mushroom and the sinu still aren't happy ;)

Awesome, glad to here he is doing well.

The mushroom and the sinu still aren't happy ;)

That sucks. Still from the low-flow incident?

travisurfer
That sucks. Still from the low-flow incident?

Yeah, that's my best guess. The sinu was on it's side and the mushroom was still sort of recovering from splitting so they were both hit a bit harder than usual.

travisurfer
How's everything looking this evening?

also, as promised, pics! click down there... vvvv

Everything is still pretty unhappy, but I'm not sure why. The sinu is starting to look better though. I think I'm going to do some maintenance on the tank, clean everything up, and put the corals in more secure places. Hopefully that will help everything settle in more.

pics look great :D

• 2 weeks later...
travisurfer

Everything is looking nice and happy again except for the blue mushroom- I think the giant ricordea is stealing all the mushroom nutrients. ;)

travisurfer

I have definitely been slacking on updates recently. ;) I have been busy with schoolwork and whatnot but I did also have a Spring Break since my last time posting. There really isn't much else to add besides the fact that I put some new additions in back when fewskillz helped me break down the 10g. The tank itself is still doing great- in fact, I don't really remember the last time I did a water change on it. That's not to say that I shouldn't still do some maintenance on the tank and rearrange some of the fallen frags though. With the plexiglass top, I only have to top off once or twice a week, which is incredibly awesome as far as maintenance is concerned. The limpets have continued to surge in numbers and the bristle worms still have a strong hold. I haven't seen the peanut worm recently, but I haven't been looking at the tank much during the night. Anyway, on to the pictures. :)

zoas4-20-09.jpg

These are the zoas that came from the first freebie zoa frag that I had gotten for my original 2.5g pico over two years ago. They have slowly grown into a decent grouping despite low lighting and no effort on my part.

ball4-20-09.jpg

I really like ball anemones and I happened to be able to get one in this tank as well. :) They aren't really colorful and don't really add much but they look nice.

ric4-20-09.jpg

The giant ricordea now dominates the lower half of the tank. I wasn't really sure about putting it in the pico but fewskillz had a bunch anyway so I decided to toss him in. After the one incident when he had gotten sucked into the powerfilter, he has since anchored himself and opened up on a regular basis.

pico4-20.jpg

And here's just another corner shot of everything.

Enjoy. ;)

Very nice pico :)

I'm wanting to do one,

but getting my hands on anything but zoanthids,palythoa and octocoral isn't possible.

The black silicone,the dimensions of the tank all makes it flows nicely with the coral.

travisurfer
Very nice pico :)

I'm wanting to do one,

but getting my hands on anything but zoanthids,palythoa and octocoral isn't possible.

Thanks :) I actually prefer the soft corals myself- easy maintenance, look nice, and cheaper in comparison to the stonies. You do live in Hawaii though...deal with it. ;)

Looks good dude! Glad everything recovered. I'm moving all this week so I'll get up with you next week or the week after that about getting the other light from you if you still have it. Things have been hectic planning this move. The 54 moves Wednesday evening, the 125 on Saturday. fingerscrossed:scarry:

travisurfer
Looks good dude! Glad everything recovered. I'm moving all this week so I'll get up with you next week or the week after that about getting the other light from you if you still have it. Things have been hectic planning this move. The 54 moves Wednesday evening, the 125 on Saturday. fingerscrossed:scarry:

Thanks :) Don't worry, I'm holding onto the light for you although if you happen to give me a frag or something for holding onto it, I wouldn't say no ;) Just kidding of course- hope all goes well with the move. That's quite the endeavor. :scarry:

I think I can chip a little green mushroom off a larger rock for you. I'd like to start a frag tank once I'm settled in, but all of the current tanks take priority over new ideas.

travisurfer
I think I can chip a little green mushroom off a larger rock for you. I'd like to start a frag tank once I'm settled in, but all of the current tanks take priority over new ideas.

haha, that would work. Do you have any of those multi-colored rhodactis left? I lost my last one when my knee was messed up. :( I'll have to see if I have anything else you might be able to use. I think I have some Iodine and Calcium A & B among some other things if you'd want them. With the pico and no plans of setting up a dose-able tank in the foreseeable future, I won't have much use for them.

After reading your thread, i'm so glad I got a cube. yay! It looks awesome! I hope mine turns out well, just like yours did. You only use the whisper to move water, right? Because I think that's what I have on mine (whatever the stock for the 3g picotope was). It seems to be moving the sand a bit, so I think it'll be alright. If not, i guess I could look into a really small tabletop fountain pump or something.

travisurfer
After reading your thread, i'm so glad I got a cube. yay! It looks awesome! I hope mine turns out well, just like yours did. You only use the whisper to move water, right? Because I think that's what I have on mine (whatever the stock for the 3g picotope was). It seems to be moving the sand a bit, so I think it'll be alright. If not, i guess I could look into a really small tabletop fountain pump or something.

Thanks. :) It's just the whisper, so 110gph and that's all I have in terms of flow. The stock picotope filter is 40gph- as long as it looks like everything is getting some flow, it should be fine. There is always the tunze nano pump if you want to look into something on the small side. Good luck. :)

Archived