ReefCleaners.org

travisurfer's 1.25g Pico

travisurfer

travisurfer

Alright, well, it looks like I'll probably have this tank for quite some time now, so I've started looking at some possible changes:

• change the flow from the 110gph whisper to a tunze nano pump(79 gph)
  • change the heater to the small hydor heaters that i could slide behind the rocks(are these any good?)
  • get a mangrove seedling to stick out of the top of the tank
  • possibly upgrade the light to leds(evil's screw-in led set looks interesting. any other ideas for something affordable?)

Any thoughts or opinions on this? I know... if it isn't broke, don't fix it but getting some changes to the tank could be nice. Who knows if I'll ever get around to "upgrading" anyway but I think these would make the tank look quite a bit more streamlined and take more advantage of the rimless look.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the LED would look pretty good on that tank, I think they have some over at nano customs that are in a picotope fixture but I'm not sure the price on them.

travisurfer
I think the LED would look pretty good on that tank, I think they have some over at nano customs that are in a picotope fixture but I'm not sure the price on them.

I think so too. I'm just trying to weigh out all of the options before I jump in. The nano-customs light is too big for this tank and would be much better for a 2.5g tank.

travisurfer
You know, there might just be another solution... ;)

Yes evil, you probably have the best solution to my problem shy of my own diy. I'm just trying to investigate some other options for now before I spend that much on lighting for a pico. $75 is a good deal for a LED setup but the current 10w coralife bulb is still only $10 and I'm trying to watch my money right now. In the end, I'll still probably end up with one of your bulbs but, like I said, I'm trying to see if there are any other decent ways of doing this. ;)

About that heater. were which hydor were you thinking? I have the hydor mini, which was 8-11 dollars at petsmart. It will definitely fit, because it does in my cube :P But it's a semi-pain. It only heats the water about 5-8 degrees more and you have to watch it to make sure the tank doesn't get too hot. Then again, this could probably be solved with a timer. When the lights go out on my tank, the temp drops to 75 at night, which is much lower than the 80 it is during the day with the picotope light. So I usually pop on the heater after the tank gets to about 77, but then the heater heats to 82. It's slightly troublesome. I just need to put it on a short timer, which I haven't done yet.

The plus to it though that if you do get it on a good timer schedule, you can very easily hide it behind your rocks, and it's super slim. :ninja:

travisurfer
About that heater. were which hydor were you thinking? I have the hydor mini, which was 8-11 dollars at petsmart. It will definitely fit, because it does in my cube :P But it's a semi-pain. It only heats the water about 5-8 degrees more and you have to watch it to make sure the tank doesn't get too hot. Then again, this could probably be solved with a timer. When the lights go out on my tank, the temp drops to 75 at night, which is much lower than the 80 it is during the day with the picotope light. So I usually pop on the heater after the tank gets to about 77, but then the heater heats to 82. It's slightly troublesome. I just need to put it on a short timer, which I haven't done yet.

The plus to it though that if you do get it on a good timer schedule, you can very easily hide it behind your rocks, and it's super slim. :ninja:

That's the one I was thinking about. It would be nice to have it streamlined behind the rocks where I wouldn't be able to see it but that sounds like a pain if it is constantly on. Especially during the summer, the tank is capable of reaching a good 80 degrees without the help of the heater so that my not be the best idea. Let me know if you figure something out, because the slimness of the heater would be awesome.

Yes evil, you probably have the best solution to my problem shy of my own diy. I'm just trying to investigate some other options for now before I spend that much on lighting for a pico. $75 is a good deal for a LED setup but the current 10w coralife bulb is still only $10 and I'm trying to watch my money right now. In the end, I'll still probably end up with one of your bulbs but, like I said, I'm trying to see if there are any other decent ways of doing this. ;)

Don't worry about it. There will be other oportunities to buy if you decide thats what you want to do.

travisurfer
Don't worry about it. There will be other oportunities to buy if you decide thats what you want to do.

That's why I'm taking my time. :happy:

travis the trank looks good...i wish i would of saw this thread before i bought my 2.5G and i would of went with that tank

travisurfer
travis the trank looks good...i wish i would of saw this thread before i bought my 2.5G and i would of went with that tank

Thanks matty. My original intentions with this tank were to get a 2.5g but I saw this tank at the end of the aisle and had to get it. It is essentially a 2.5g cut in half as far as the dimensions are concerned.

• 1 month later...
travisurfer
ahh well i love you cuz of this idea thanks for the inspiration i now i can get a reef since im on a budget lol

Thanks, I'm glad it helped. :)

i was wondering if i get the tank could i put a Red Striped Goby in it and or you think a sexy shrimp would be more suitable?

travisurfer
i was wondering if i get the tank could i put a Red Striped Goby in it and or you think a sexy shrimp would be more suitable?

I really wouldn't want to put a fish in a tank this small. After the rock goes in, there really isn't any swimming room. The sexy shrimp would not only do better, but would also require less maintenance from you so that is definitely the route I would take. You would be surprised how interesting live rock turns out to be after you factor in all of the hitchhikers.

yeah the sexy shrimp are pretty awesome. understandable. yeah i cant wait to set it all up and get hopefully beneifical hitchhikers =P but their is always a few that ya dont want.

I really wouldn't want to put a fish in a tank this small. After the rock goes in, there really isn't any swimming room. The sexy shrimp would not only do better, but would also require less maintenance from you so that is definitely the route I would take. You would be surprised how interesting live rock turns out to be after you factor in all of the hitchhikers.
travisurfer
yeah the sexy shrimp are pretty awesome. understandable. yeah i cant wait to set it all up and get hopefully beneifical hitchhikers =P but their is always a few that ya dont want.

yep, good luck :)

Well, this tank is no longer setup. I really enjoyed having it, but I'm heading off to college next year and just couldn't justify keeping it. I'll still lurk around the forums from time to time although I'm currently reefless. ;)

Archived