inTank Media Baskets

travisurfer's 1.25g Pico

travisurfer

travisurfer

On a trip to my local Petsmart to get a 2.5g for my desk, I found this beautiful little Bettacube tank made by Current USA. It is glass, huge plus, with black silicone and beveled edges. There was a sticker next to it saying that it was a new product so I figured it would be perfect despite the $24.99 asking price. It is a truly awesome tank so I figured it was worth it though.

bettacube.JPG

I'm probably going to be going with a mangrove and a small crab or some sexy shrimp. In my other pico, which will be taken down, I have some half-dead live rock covered with half-dead gsp and healthy majano's. :lol: I got the rock for cheap because the owner was trying to kill off the little pests which I though would be interesting. Any thoughts on stocking?

2834565700069473040S600x600Q85.jpg

2041845480069473040S600x600Q85.jpg

2334986410069473040S600x600Q85.jpg

Equipment List:

Current USA Bettacube

Whisper Power Filter 10

Hydor Theo 25w Heater

Portfolio Desk Lamp

1 x 10w Coralife 50/50 Bulb

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B) noice!

does it come with a top? i'm glad i still haven't set up my next tank yet. hmmm...

how's that trim at the top? i'm not partial to it, do you think that's easily removed?

travisurfer
B) noice!

does it come with a top? i'm glad i still haven't set up my next tank yet. hmmm...

how's that trim at the top? i'm not partial to it, do you think that's easily removed?

B) the tank comes with an open top.

the trim is very nice but i took it off. it consists of two square trim pieces capable of sliding on and off. i just took them off, but you can easily put both trim pieces on over the top of the tank once it is setup. i think that is a nice feature because it lets you decide what you want to do with it. i don't know why you'd want to cover up those clean corners and beveled edges. :naughtydance: pics of it setup in a sec.

i like the look! i just saw the ones without the edge/trim. i'm sooo getting that tank this weekend!

i had been kicking around a 2.5g to go trimless (that was a pita to do). i should've just waited for this tank. *head-smack*

looking good though! the gsp looks like it a monstrous chunk of rock placed in that little tank like that. :lol:

travisurfer
i like the look! i just saw the ones without the edge/trim. i'm sooo getting that tank this weekend!

i had been kicking around a 2.5g to go trimless (that was a pita to do). i should've just waited for this tank. *head-smack*

looking good though! the gsp looks like it a monstrous chunk of rock placed in that little tank like that. :lol:

lol, this tank is just so awesome. i'm glad you can see why i didn't hesitate to buy it.

lol, i was actually considering a rimless 2.5g as well but i figured this still my fit under my shelf with the light and it just barely made it.

lol, thanks. the gsp are really starting to open up which is why i decided to ditch the original majano theme from the 2.5g hex that preceded this tank. there are actually 3 rocks in there but they are almost completely covered with gsp albeit the actual polyps are bleached atm.

what'd you think about the stocking list. the tank is really too small to do any shrimp or whatnot so a single dwarf blue leg should suffice. the way the light is setup makes an ideal situation for a mangrove so i suppose i do have some nice nutrient removal but i dunno.

the last question is on the backgrouond. the original plan was to go for the clean look and keep it open to have coralline and gsp grow in later on.

what are the dims of the tank?

7 x 7 x 8 if i remember correctly

damn, that does look really good... If run out of room in my 2.5 later on, I'll definitely set up one of these guys... very cool looking!

i don't see why you couldn't go with 1~3 sexy shrimp or even one blood shrimp instead (pretend it's a tiny lobster :lol: ). or you could have up to 6-marine feeder shimp in there but they can/do jump. but watching their hearts beating thru their carapace is pretty cool.

i've been favoring ceriths in recent years. i like the algae and scavenging aspects they have; the substrate turning ability, small sizes, and their fecundity are just further pluses for me. so ceriths are my preferred snail atm.

but the bumble and astrae are a good combo too. more colorful and active. i'd keep 'em at one a piece like you have planned.

not sure on the background as i think it also depends on the room and the lighting (imo). the aquascape also plays a part but could make it a moot point if you make a wall.

travisurfer

lol, yeah, i just want to make sure i have enough space. it just seems like sexy's could potentially get a bit cramped. lol, a blood shrimp would be rediculous. only you would put one in a 1.25g. :lol: feeder shrimp=lame but i do want some movement in there. lol.

i have always loved ceriths as well. they were the only snails that could hide through cozmo's reign in my 20H. after looking at bumblebee snails though, it seems like they serve a similar purpose in a cooler looking package.

the lighting is bright and i'm not sure how much more rock i'll be adding. with the mangrove and the gsp, i don't think the background will come into focus much. if i feel like it, i may just put some black posterboard back there or something.

I am definitely tracking this topic. I've seen these same exact tanks at my LFS and have been wondering how to turn it into a pico, the only dilemma I find is how to add a filter or powerhead without turning it into a sandstorm in there?

I just put the powerfilter on the back and it's fine. :)

Got any pics? Someone on a different thread was saying they had a yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair in a 1gallon nano at their LFS and they seemed comfortable, I might try something like that in a 3g..

travisurfer
Got any pics? Someone on a different thread was saying they had a yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair in a 1gallon nano at their LFS and they seemed comfortable, I might try something like that in a 3g..

of what? there are a bunch of pics in the first post :huh:

fiction101

I would only go with one sexy shrimp, the problem with more then one is that they will be trampling all over your corals since the tank is so small. I have 4 in my 3g and they're always ####### off my toadstool and clove polyps! :angry:

travisurfer
I mean all around pics, you only have front view :P

I'll get some more up as the tank progresses a bit. :)

I would only go with one sexy shrimp, the problem with more then one is that they will be trampling all over your corals since the tank is so small. I have 4 in my 3g and they're always ####### off my toadstool and clove polyps! :angry:

well, this will just be a giant patch of gsp for the most part so i won't really mind it. thanks for the heads up though. on that note, i may get a few mushroom and zoa frags to mix things up a bit but we'll see. :)

travisurfer
i bought one today. :ninja:

awesome B) i can't wait to start stocking :naughtydance: too bad the lfs is only open on weekends when i have to work :(

FishFreak77

I will deff be following this along. I can't wait to see what else you will do with it. Where did you find the lamp?

travisurfer
I will deff be following this along. I can't wait to see what else you will do with it. Where did you find the lamp?

It was at Lowes, a chain hardware store similar to Home Depot, for $12. :)

travisurfer
So are you just using a 23w household bulbs to grow corals? :huh:

yeah, you just have to be sure to get a daylight bulb with a spectrum of 6500k. it's not ideal but it is cheap. ;) i'm still considering a 10w 50/50 just for more blue though.

Archived