Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

D-D H2Ocean Pro Salt

PodRod

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats this I am hearing now about residue being left in the bucket and floaties during and after mixing this salt?

I just did my water change and noticed a brown residue also. I have been using this salt from the get go, even though its only been 2 months or so my params are doing very well. I have to clean out my salt mixing bucket after each change. I heard a lot of good things about this salt and my corals love it. They do much better then when I purchased from the LFS.

The Propagator

See I am switching back to Oceanic.

Same results and virtually the same make up as this $99 salt.

I never had magnesium problems, never had calcium problems.

But after switching to seachem I have had both to a degree.

The reason for switching was all the complaints about the residue.

Now after reading this about the residue left behind with the high dollar salt I am peeved and switching back.

The Propagator

THat was the initial reason I was thinking about switching but then the residue complaints pushed me over the edge to switch from Oceanic. BUT seeing as how cheap baking soda is I am switching back. And I may never listen to another expert on a reef forum again LOL!

The Propagator

Ha Ha !! I edited that out right before you posted.

I am talking about the salt.. but I ran two conversations in to one reply as well :D

hahaha, you posted the wrong thing. Residue doesnt bother me or my tank. I just rinse it out after making up new water. I wish the price would come down, but it gets shipped three times before it get's to you.

IO here i come................................

• 1 month later...
Deleted User 6

Someone needs to add a poll to this thread: Is DD Pro worth the money? Yes or No.

Do it fast because I got a gift certificate for my bday and I need more salt. I used a small bucket of the DD and never tested it, so I don't know what the levels were.

masterbuilder

I use it. Is it worth the money???????????????

Do I like it, yes. Will I keep using it in the future, yes.

EDIT: I see now what size tank you have now. In a small tanks the difference between "el cheapo" salt and D-D is about $20-$30 buck a year....so you you can do the math and decide on the money issue.

Weetabix7

It's worth it to me.

I work with a really tight budget on Reef stuff, and I am still willing to pay the money for this salt.

Deleted User 6
I use it. Is it worth the money???????????????

Do I like it, yes. Will I keep using it in the future, yes.

EDIT: I see now what size tank you have now. In a small tanks the difference between "el cheapo" salt and D-D is about $20-$30 buck a year....so you you can do the math and decide on the money issue.

20-30/year? Awesome. Decision made. Mortons it is.

BlueAbyss

I've gone ahead and ordered a large bucket of this stuff... 79.95 CDN, plus shipping (with a 5 dollar surcharge for the shipping). Since I've never had a saltwater tank before, I'll let you guys know what I think, me being the expert in salt and all ;)

EDIT: I canceled my order for this salt because I found a place closer (cheaper shipping) for the same price, and then I canceled that order because I was unsure (again). I've now decided to go with Seachem Reef Salt to start off with, and switch over to the D-D once my rock has cured. This won't be for a while.

dtfleming

Its good salt for keeping a reef tank. I use it on my reef tanks only. I use IO on my cultures and Broodstock tanks.

Is it worth the money????????? that's the million dollar question. There are very successful reef tanks here and in public aquarium that use IO. I feel it is worth it, based on the response to in my tanks and the fact the the parameters after mixing are great.

The issue why it's such an expensive salt is because it's shipped three times before it gets to you. It comes from Germany to the US to the LFS etc...... I wish the price would drop on it, but I dont see that happening and Im willing to pay the price for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

I did a cost analysis on D-D Pro and IO (forgive me if I'm off a bit):

Based on an 11.36 lt (3 gal)/week WC. Prices from marinedepot.com including shipping. For D-D Pro, I used their estimate that 6.6kg makes 182.5 liters (avg.) at 1.025. For IO, I went with a bucket making 160 gallons, but I think that is to 1.022, so there's a discrepancy that I don't have time to figure out.

D-D Pro: 23.3 kg bucket

IO: 160 gal bucket

D-D Pro: $109.53/year

IO: $64.98/year

Difference: $44.55

LIke I said, this isn't perfect. Maybe it's close though.

• 3 weeks later...

When you get your new bucket of salt, do you stir up the salt in the bucket before using it? The darn buckets of salt weigh a ton and I can't figure out an easy way to get all that salt stirred up before using it. Does it even need to be done? And if you do, what's your method? I've been hearing how certain elements can settle in shipping so that is my concern.

disaster999

place the lid on the bucket as tightly as possible and just start rolling the bucket and tip them end to end. takes a little bit effort but not as bad as say picking up a bucket and just start shaking

place the lid on the bucket as tightly as possible and just start rolling the bucket and tip them end to end. takes a little bit effort but not as bad as say picking up a bucket and just start shaking

thank you! Could I do that before I even open up the bucket or do I need to take the salt out of the bag?

disaster999

i would empty it out into the bucket first. theres no room inside the bag for the salt to mix. also, when you empty the bag, your already mixing the salt.. just roll the bucket a few more times and i say your good to go

i would empty it out into the bucket first. theres no room inside the bag for the salt to mix. also, when you empty the bag, your already mixing the salt.. just roll the bucket a few more times and i say your good to go

Thanks!

I don't do this, I just make a bit of slack in the bag by moving the tie up and roll the thing....actually I didn't do that with my current bucket

Archived