Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

D-D H2Ocean Pro Salt

PodRod

I'm interested in feedback regarding the D-D H2Ocean Pro salt. I recently switched from Tropic Marin to Red Sea Coral Pro and I'm amazed at how much better my tank is responding. I've had a lot of recent growth with my SPS since the switch, but I'm concerned about the low Mg in the Red Sea Coral Pro. New batch readings are 1120ish - way low. I've always been told to get proper calcium levels, I need to make sure the Mg levels are correct so I"m surprised that I can maintain calcium at 420-450.

From what I've read, this new salt combines all the best of RSCP but with proper levels of Mg. Here's the link to their website:

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/?q=node/405

Anyone using this salt yet?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Karen. Were you thinking of ordering some? Are you going to get it from Marine Depot or somewhere else online? I might be up for getting a bucket as well.

Here are the comparisons from that link:

D-D H20

Temperature - 26c

Salinity - 35ppt

pH (Salifert) - 8.60

pH (Pinpoint) - 8.90

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 0ppm

Phosphate P - 0ppm

Potassium - 370ppm

Strontium - 4ppm

Calcium - 415ppm

Magnesium - 1350ppm

Alkalinity - 8.1Dkh

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Sea Coral Salt

Temperature - 26c

Salinity - 35ppt

pH (Salifert) - 8.50

pH (Pinpoint) - 8.52

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 0ppm

Phosphate P - 0ppm

Potassium - 340ppm

Strontium - 22ppm

Calcium - 405ppm

Magnesium - 1170ppm

Alkalinity - 8.6Dkh

it's calcium levels seem quite low, i perfer mine to be above 420ppm.

just my $0.02

Thanks Nick,

Yes, it's a little low and I also prefer mine to be above 420. According to Muzzy's comparisons, it came in at 415 - not far off at all. I got an email from him earlier today and he said the salt is getting rave reviews in the UK. He's switching as soon as his current stock runs out.

My calcium dispenser will take care of bumping the levels up to where I need them. What's most important to me is that the Mg and other levels are within a normal range. The Mg in RSCP is way too low and that's not easy to raise - I've tried.

I've ordered a small bucket to see how it does...

i would look at Oceanic as so, thats what I use and get great response from corals. mg and cal lvls both high. The biggest issue is that the salt debate has been going on for awhile. Their still is no true "great salt", but hope it works for you.

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna have to try this stuff out, I'm not going to be able to get NSW for a while since the water has been nasty. And I had to get a small box of IO since tyhat's the only cheap stuff the lfs carries. As soon as that is about to run out I'm getting this.

I'm interested in this salt as well. I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro, and have to dump in a ton of Mg supplement with every wc. the Ca level doesn't bother me much. I keep Ca in my tank between 400 and 420ppm and my corals all grow really fast.

I just placed an order for a bucket of this salt, so I'll be able to add my own review before long.

Cool... I am considering using it myself. Look forward to your thoughts

Cool... I am considering using it myself. Look forward to your thoughts

Well you were so kind as to try the Tunze out for me, I guess it's my turn to return the favor. :)

Weet.... I have tried to read high and low about the H20 salt... from what I can tell...the diff is:

Tunze 1250-1275 MG

H20 1300-1350 MG

By the folks over at Zeovit , who seem to be OBSESSED with salt chemistry….Both are about the same price, made by the same manuf, trace elements are supposed to be identical, etc.

I plan to change when I run out of Tunze just to reduce the MG dosing. Tank shouldn’t notice the change. The offer still stands to send you a few cups of Tunze.

Anywho... give us all the 411 on the H20 when you start it up.

Yes, please post your results here as I'm interested to compare notes. I'm halfway through my bucket and the tank is very happy. Mine doesn't mix completely clean though, which others have reported as well. The explanation seems to go back to where they get the salt/evaporation process and that its harmless sediment but I'm curious to see if others have the same observation. I've also seen some reports of higher than desired Phosphate readings in freshly mixed batches. I can say that for me the claimed mag, ca and alk levels are spot on when I test my make-up water.

Yes, please post your results here as I'm interested to compare notes. I'm halfway through my bucket and the tank is very happy. Mine doesn't mix completely clean though, which others have reported as well. The explanation seems to go back to where they get the salt/evaporation process and that its harmless sediment but I'm curious to see if others have the same observation. I've also seen some reports of higher than desired Phosphate readings in freshly mixed batches. I can say that for me the claimed mag, ca and alk levels are spot on when I test my make-up water.

Phosphate????

NOOOO!!!!!!!!! :scarry:

What Ca, Mg, and Alk readings do you get?

What salt were you using before?

What differences have you seen in your tank since you switched, both positive and negative?

I just got my tracking # today and the bucket is due to get to me on Monday.

Then I have to phase into the salt from my Oceanic.

First WC= 2/3 Oceanic, 1/3 D-D

2nd WC= 1/3 Oceanic, 2/3 DD

3rd WC= all D-D

I'm tagging along. I've been very interested in this salt also. Marinedepot has this in a mixing kit and if you look at everything you get it's like getting a free bucket of salt. I'm not finding much of any info on this salt. Please get a good phosphate test kit and post those results as this is a little scary if that is the case. I'm fighting GHA in one of my tanks and sure don't want to add to the problem.

Steve

Like dtfleming said, I've always been told that all salt mixes will test positive for a small amount of phosphates. However, I've been using this salt for a couple of months now, and I just tested some of my freshly mixed water. Using the Salifert phosphate test kit, I get no reading - just like in my tank...

Like dtfleming said, I've always been told that all salt mixes will test positive for a small amount of phosphates. However, I've been using this salt for a couple of months now, and I just tested some of my freshly mixed water. Using the Salifert phosphate test kit, I get no reading - just like in my tank...

Have you had any algae growth at all?

Does it mix up with sediment for you?

Hi Wheetabix, I wouldn't worry about the phosphates just yet, it was only the observation of a couple of folks and many others have tested their water with good results. Probably poor testing. I'm very very pleased with the salt so far. My tank is only 3+ months old so I'm not using my algae situation as a benchmark as algae is expected given the age of my tank.

So, I started with TMPR and had a horrible time maintaining Alk and Ca. Many wide swings and no consistency. My makeup water with TMPR was very low on both accounts. I switched to the H2Ocean and have found a MUCH easier time maintining the system now along with B-Ionic (20ml a day and my levels are rock solid). The elevated Mag levels seem to have added to the stability of my system.

Make Up Water results (I've tested 3 or 4 times and its always around these numbers. I will say that giving the bucket a bit of a mixing helped with the consistency. Perhaps mine settled a bit during shippment):

Sal 35 ppm

Temp 78

Ph 8.3

Cal 420 (Elos & Salifert)

dKh 9 (Elos & API)

Mag 1,350 (Elos)

In the tank, its more observational, but I do think my colors have improved and my polyp extension is certainly better. Probably due mostly to the increased stability of the system vs. the content of the salt but hey, its working for me.

I like those numbers.

I like them a lot.

Hopefully I'll see the same good results.

As for TMPR, the folks at Tropic Marin told me that if that salt is used without some kind of calcium or 2 part dosing, there could be dips in Alk.

I think it's supposed to mix up at 7 dKh.

Archived