inTank Media Baskets

D-D H2Ocean Pro Salt

PodRod

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well thought I would update. I received an email from DD three weeks ago that they were going to test the batch my salt came from. Never received a response and I sent a follow up email last week with nothing since so I guess there is something they don't want to say or it just isn't important at this point. Below is the last correspondance I had with them. So who knows. My tub of salt is still reading low mag with no change. Once I get through this batch I'll try one more and see if it was just a inconsistant batch. Besides the low Mag my tank really does look good and I'm happy with the salt.

Thu 10/30/2008 10:34 AM

Investigating for you at the lab

Stuart

Stuart Bertram BSc Hons

Sales Director

D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd

• 1 month later...

Not trying to dig this up after awhile, but I decided to purchase this salt and was curious if it's the same mix as most other salts. What I mean is usually a half cup of salt to a gallon of water gets close to 1.025?

How is everyone mixing this salt? It seems more coarse than other brands but I want to be sure which is the easiest? I tried to mix a gallon the other day and a half cup to one gallon gave me a salinity reading of 1.022?????? Seeing how it's more coarse it might take more than a half cup to a gallon??? Anyone chime in on that?

Thanks

Spankey

Not trying to dig this up after awhile, but I decided to purchase this salt and was curious if it's the same mix as most other salts. What I mean is usually a half cup of salt to a gallon of water gets close to 1.025?

How is everyone mixing this salt? It seems more coarse than other brands but I want to be sure which is the easiest? I tried to mix a gallon the other day and a half cup to one gallon gave me a salinity reading of 1.022?????? Seeing how it's more coarse it might take more than a half cup to a gallon??? Anyone chime in on that?

Thanks

Spankey

That's odd, it actually takes a little less than half a cup to get SG to 1.025 for me. Is your refractometer calibrated correctly? I checked mine recently and it should be correct.

The coarseness of the salt doesn't seem to affect how well it mixes, but DO mix for 48 hrs. before using.

Also, I'd try using something to mix all of the salt in the bucket up well, sometimes certain elements can end up settling.

I checked my refractometer and its right on? Maybe I am not allowing it to mix long enough? I usually mix in the morning and do the water change that night? Thanks for the input guys. Are you guys liking this salt? I bought two small buckets so I hope to see some slight changes, even if it's keeping the parameters more in check.... Less dosing!!!!

The Propagator

Aerate and mix it up for a few spankey. Coarse salt mix is always hard to dissolve. Wen ever I get a coarse mix I just use warm water and let it cool down while it mixes with a power head and an air stone.

• 2 weeks later...

well I got my second bucket about a weekago so I'm going to test the batch I'm mixing now on wedensday and see what I get.

I got a second bucket this week also. I'm planning to mix it up tomorrow and see if my low mag problem was just with that first bucket.

Steve

very dissapointing results.

Sg.35ppt

cal440ppm

alk 3 meq/L

MAG:1000PPM Wtf! i did everything right, even double checked the test results. I used api for cal and seachem for the rest. I'm sticking with this bucket and just going to test then add some epsom salts to the water to get it up where it needs to be. Might e-mail DD about this. :angry:

welcome to my world. Already been through the exact same issue and they never responded after the last email. I haven't tested my new bucket yet but I still have some hope.

Steve

are both of you using the seachem test?

if so, try an elos test and see if there is still a problem.

for a salt marketed as high in magnesium (compared to others), i find it odd that your mg is testing so low.

Weird I havent had any problems with the buckets I've bought. Im very happy with this salt just not the price.

I like this salt as well. I use this salt more as an additive though. I am a pico reefer. So I only do 1 gallon a week wc's. I have used nsw for 2 years now. I add a table spoon to the nsw to bump up the alk. My lfs store has the nsw for 99Cents a gallon. I have a 7 gallon jug that they fill for me for 5 $ :) . I have not mixed up a batch of this salt from pure Ro water so Idk about low mag. I was dosing the nsw water with alk buffer before reading about this salt about 4 months ago. I like how simple it is to do it this way now , and I have noticed a difference in my Euphyllia looking healthier. As well as greater pe on my sps. Idk if it's imagination , but the results seem noticeable

Strange that you would get low Mag on this salt. I use Elos kits and my tank is testing out at 1,500/1,600.

Almost the same here... I test out @ 1450 with the Elos test kit...

Here's the email I recieved,

Nick

This is very interesting information.

In all of the hundreds of tonnes of salt that we sold last year we have never had reports of a magnesium level this low.

We have had people who said that their magnesium level was only 1150 but on testing the retained batches and further testing by the end user it turned out to be that the salinity was lower than they thought or that the test kit was problematic.

Batches sizes are 1 tonne so you would have expected someone to make a comment.

I have attached this link to a FAQ which illustrates the situation.

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/node/494

Regards

Stuart

Stuart Bertram BSc Hons

Sales Director

D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd

I think it has to be the kit, especially if they test each batch before it goes out to check that it's good. Now i need to go fork over $30 for a new kit. -_-

i just ordered a buket of this and will be changing from Reef crystals to it if i like the results

i'll throw up a new post in 2 weeks after i get the new salt and am able to do a water change, hopefully the results are good

i never test my salt before i add it to my tank, i always test the tank after a water change and then adjust the dosage to the tank for that day, test the next day 24 hours later and re adjust, seems to be the easiest way of maintaining satbility in my tank, since no salt has every parameter at 100%

Hey Nick I forgot to ask. Did you mix up your salt in the bucket before you mixed the water? Magnesium has a tendacy to go to the bottom of the bucket during shipping.

Steve

Good point. I saw some variability from water change to water change until I rolled the bucket and bag around a bit. I'm only making 4 gallons at a time so a well mixed bucket is key.

Archived