Cultivated Reef

Lalani's 2.5gal. Pico

Lalani

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, sorry! We had to go get groceries for the Easter weekend. Busy busy busy.

I'm not sure how everybody else feeds their sexies, which will be a good section of the official thread, but I feed mine flake food. I put one small piece at the end of a pair of forceps and wave it in front of the shrimp. I think it would be easier if you used sinking pellets.

Haha, sorry! We had to go get groceries for the Easter weekend. Busy busy busy.

I'm not sure how everybody else feeds their sexies, which will be a good section of the official thread, but I feed mine flake food. I put one small piece at the end of a pair of forceps and wave it in front of the shrimp. I think it would be easier if you used sinking pellets.

Thank goodness! I thought every one left me! Hee hee!

Thanks for the response! I didn't think about the holiday weekend coming up. People must be working a little harder this morning so they can cut out early!

It is good to know what other people do. I think the forceps are a good idea. I don't think I would have thought of that! I can't believe the amount of equipment I am accumulating for my little 6 gal. cube!

Are the flake food and sinking pellets just dry fish food kind of stuff? Like the kind any fish store would have? The kind you would feed gold fish or FW fish? Or is it like that but for SW tanks?

I can't believe how in love I am with my sexies! They are just so much fun! They are ALWAYS together! If one move over 1/4 of an inch the other one follows! I am so glad I went back and got the second one!

Someone said they do better in odd number groups. Should I go try to find a third or just leave the two since they seem so happy together? I guess I am not sure what they would get out of having a third added other then a threesome that is! ;)

Its true that they are best kept in groups of odd numbers. If your two are doing fine, then don't worry about, but you'll probably want to add more later down the road. ;)

You can find the food in just about any pet store, but like you said, its got to be for saltwater and not freshwater. They usually label them clearly. :)

Its true that they are best kept in groups of odd numbers. If your two are doing fine, then don't worry about, but you'll probably want to add more later down the road. ;)

You can find the food in just about any pet store, but like you said, its got to be for saltwater and not freshwater. They usually label them clearly. :)

Great! Thanks for all the help! It seems like no matter how much I read I still don't know anything about what I am doing! There is so much to know in this hobby! It is great to have this group of people so willing to help and with so much patients!

:) :) :)

el fabuloso

Grrr! Work is getting in the way of N-R today. <_<

Feeding sexies with frozen foods can be quite messy which is why I only do it once a week before I do my water change. That way any leftover can be cleaned out with the water change and the filter floss. I use sinking pellets and they have a good sense of smell and can seek them out where ever it lands. But I do try to get it as close to them as possible. I usually do one stick per shrimp and any extra ones the hermit crabs usually clean up after.

Hey everyone! :D

I've been out of town for the past couple of days, and I get home and I was behind 3 pages! I quickly caught up though :P

I have a question for yall. Right now I have 2 sexies in my 8G BioCube, but I really want to set up a tank just for them. However, I am stuck as to what tank I should use. I have a 2.5G AGA tank that would be perfect. I am planning on adding an overflow at one end, but I need to make sure the sexies can't manage to squeeze through. I already have a 20W fixture so I will use that. How does that sound?

Also, I would add a couple more sexies so there is about 5 or so. Would it be okay to add more with my other two? Since my xenia is really growing now, I want to do and all xenia tank with just the sexies.

-texx

Grrr! Work is getting in the way of N-R today. <_<

Feeding sexies with frozen foods can be quite messy which is why I only do it once a week before I do my water change. That way any leftover can be cleaned out with the water change and the filter floss. I use sinking pellets and they have a good sense of smell and can seek them out where ever it lands. But I do try to get it as close to them as possible. I usually do one stick per shrimp and any extra ones the hermit crabs usually clean up after.

Thanks. That really helps. I like the idea of using the less messy stuff most of the time and the gunky stuff before the water change. I think I will try that. I am also thinking I will switch from my sponge to the floss. Seeing how much of that frozen food got sucked up by the filter makes me think I don't want to worry about it sitting and rotting in the sponge. And I sew so I have a ton of polly stuffing I can use. I will put it in with my water change this weekend.

I also really like the idea of having my sexies being the main attraction in my tank. Since I am just starting I need to figure out what direction I want my tank to go. So far I only have 4 snails, 2 hermits, a riccordea and a small polyp. But I am seeing my brother this weekend and he said he is going to have some presents for me from his tank! It is kinda like christmas! I don't know what I am going to get! But he has some great stuff to frag so it will lots of fun!

el fabuloso

Texx, a Xenia tank with sexy shrimps would look totally sexy! My sexies love my Xenias and they often fight over hosting them. I gotta remember to take a pic for you guys to see. Before I had my AC fuge one use to host the heater, the other the powerhead and one was really attached to my Mag-Float. So they were really happy when I got the Xenias. :lol:

Texx, a Xenia tank with sexy shrimps would look totally sexy! My sexies love my Xenias and they often fight over hosting them. I gotta remember to take a pic for you guys to see. Before I had my AC fuge one use to host the heater, the other the powerhead and one was really attached to my Mag-Float. So they were really happy when I got the Xenias. :lol:

This is great to know! I really love Xenias! I didn't even think about the sexies loving them too! I don't have one yet but soon I hope. I wanted to wait until my tank was a little better established before I got one (or more). It is so much fun planning all the different things I can do! I think I change my mind about 20 times a day!

I've been wanting to add some pulsing xenia to my pico, but the only LFS that has them wants to sell ONE stalk for like $30. -_-

Uggh! Thats crazy! My LFS sells about 3-4 stalks for 19.99. I can't wait to see what my sexies will do with a tank full of xenia! :D

el fabuloso
I've been wanting to add some pulsing xenia to my pico, but the only LFS that has them wants to sell ONE stalk for like $30. -_-

One stalk for $30??? That's insane! Especially when most people consider them as pests and are scraping them out of their tanks. I got seven stalks on a flat piece of rock for $45 from one of my LFS. The funny thing about this LFS is that everything is $45! At least all the ones I've bought from them or the ones I'm interested.

Me: How much for that zoa rock?

LFS Guy: $45

Me: That mushroom rock?

Me: The Xenias?

:lol:

Ha, you would have a fit at one of my other LFSs. There is a tank of 'clearance' corals........ $10 for a dead candy cane, $20 for a dead plate coral..... Oh, I forgot this place has pulsing xenia too! They have two 100gal. tanks INFESTED with pulsing xenia and they want to sell me A stalk for around $35. :angry:

The one closest LFS, an hour drive away, where the workers and the owner actually had some sense and fair pricing........ is currently closing down. :( I need to go and spend my $20 in store credit soon...

WHAT?! I wouldn't pay squat shrimp for something that's dead!

LMAO!!! I love your use of "squat shrimp"! I can see it catching on!

yankeereefer

were y'alls sexies shy once introduced? Mine seem to like hanging out on the back of my 'scape.

Maybe they're not shy. Perhaps too much flow? How much flow are you folks running through your 2.5gs? I have a minijet 404 that's being used as a return pump from the fuge / sump behind the display. I was running it "wide open" but have since kicked it down a notch. Doesn't really seem to be overpowering.

LMAO!!! I love your use of "squat shrimp"! I can see it catching on!

That was pretty good. :D

were y'alls sexies shy once introduced? Mine seem to like hanging out on the back of my 'scape.

Maybe they're not shy. Perhaps too much flow? How much flow are you folks running through your 2.5gs? I have a minijet 404 that's being used as a return pump from the fuge / sump behind the display. I was running it "wide open" but have since kicked it down a notch. Doesn't really seem to be overpowering.

Right now, since I'm down to two of them, mine have been really shy. When there were three, they stayed out in the open all day long, but now they come out when i'm not in the room, but as soon as I walk in they jump behind the rocks. Since your's are new, they probably just need to get used to their new home. :)

My only flow is from an Aquaclear mini HOB on full flow.

Hey this is what I am going to plan on doing for my "sexy" tank. :P

This is doncb's 2.5G contest tank and I love it so I am going to do the same thing for my sexies. I will start a thread once I get everything together!

Archived