SaltCritters.com

Lalani's 2.5gal. Pico

Lalani

Hey all!

I scrubbed my little 2.5gal. pico today during its weekly water change and decided that it looked so sparkling clean I would post some pics of it. :lol:

Its nothing special and really simple, but thats the way I like it!

Its been running since Nov. 8, 2007, quite smoothly I might add. I set it up for the sole purpose of housing sexy shrimp and any other inverts that hitchhiked in on the rocks. I've had a little trouble with the sexies eating the skirts off my zoas, but I've since been feeding them a piece of flake food each day and they no longer cause trouble.

I bought the rock and sand from Ken at Sealife and its showing a ton of life! Lots of sponges, worms, feather dusters, crab, shrimp, and all sorts of other things. Really great stuff!

Equipment:

2.5gal. Mini-bow tank

Current USA Dual Satellite 2x18w PC fixture

Hydor THEO 50w heater

Coralife digital thermometer

AC mini (fuge)

Livestock:

~3lbs. LR

~4lbs. LS

2 sexy shrimp (started with three, but one jumped out)

Pair of pistol shrimp that came with the rock

Rock crab that came with the rock

Various snails

Zoas

Palys

Rics

GSP

Pics:

IMG_8187.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

DSCN8642.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_8219.jpg

IMG_8218.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg

IMG_8214.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

Well, thats all I've got for now. Hope you guys like! :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reef Chicks

WOW! That is a great little tank! I wish I hadn't corwded mine so much. And I absolutely love those sexies!!! I've been looking everywhere for them but no one seems to have them. Great pictures too... congrats!

el fabuloso
WOW! That is a great little tank! I wish I hadn't corwded mine so much. And I absolutely love those sexies!!! I've been looking everywhere for them but no one seems to have them. Great pictures too... congrats!

IME, most LFS don't carry them on a regular basis since they're so tiny and hard to keep track. But they'll put an order in for you if you ask. :)

IME, most LFS don't carry them on a regular basis since they're so tiny and hard to keep track. But they'll put an order in for you if you ask. :)

Ditto! I had one of my LFSs order mine.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Reef Chicks

Yeah, I treid that last week (ordering through LFS). Called ahead and the guy tells me they're in and waiting for me. I get there, after almost an hour drive, and he can't find them in the tank. Its like the tank swallowed them! He even checked the filter but nothing. I was very disappointed. He got me all excited for nothing. :rant:

Lol! They are probably still in the tank. When I went to pick mine up, the manager said he had been keeping an eye on them. He had never seen any sexies before and was surprised at how small they are. They were hiding in a tiny sabae anemone in the tank and he had to remove the nem and shake the little shrimp out of it. They didn't want to leave it. :D

el fabuloso

My LFS held the sexy shrimps in their fully stocked 12 gallon display tank to keep an eye on them. The LFS guy practically had to take the tank apart just to get them out! I kinda felt bad but the guy is hot and by the time he got the shrimps out he was soaking wet. I guess that's why they call 'em sexy. ;)

My LFS held the sexy shrimps in their fully stocked 12 gallon display tank to keep an eye on them. The LFS guy practically had to take the tank apart just to get them out! I kinda felt bad but the guy is hot and by the time he got the shrimps out he was soaking wet. I guess that's why they call 'em sexy. ;)

OOOOOOOHHHH, what's the name of the LFS????? :lol:

Reef Chicks

lol... I did that once with my granite guy. He was a 20-something hot Brazilian god, and came over to measure it. I was big and pregnant and had lost any desire for men, but he sure changed that! I kept asking him to remeasure the corners just to see him bend over. I think he caught on, but he still obliged. OK, hijack over... my LFS guy said he'd re-order them, but if they are so tiny I may never get a hold of them if he keeps putting them in the same tank!

Argh, how come I can't get any cute guys over here.... It seems like every guy we hire to do something around the house is some old white haired scrawny dude who insists on taking off his shirt to show off his man-boobs. -_-

I don't mind anyone jacking my threads...... as long as it involves hawt guys! :lol:

el fabuloso
OOOOOOOHHHH, what's the name of the LFS????? :lol:

Seriously, there's a couple of cute guys working at this LFS so I don't mind going even though though they're the most expensive in town! Then I deliberately play dumb and ask stupid questions just to hear them talk corals. :wub: Is that wrong? lol

phishyaly, how big of a tank is your LFS keeping the sexies in? It's weird that they'd just disappear... they may be small but they're pretty ballsy and are pretty hard to miss!

Reef Chicks

LOL.. you guys make me crack up. My husband is over here asking me what I am laughing about...lol

Anyways, they have them in a cubicle type of system, probably around 10-15 gallons. That particular cublicle was full of nems, feather dusters and other shrimps & starfish. Maybe someone ate them. I gave him my number and asked him to hold the next batch in the bag and just float them till I picked them up. That's if they ever come in! I've been asking the LFS for these for months now. Anyone know of anyone here on NR who may breed them for sale?

el fabuloso

Next time I would definitely tell them to bag it up before you get there so you don't end up driving a whole hour for nothing! Order them from my LFS, come to Vegas and we'll watch the hot guy fish 'em out of the tank. I'll bring Diet Coke. :P

strangelove
:lol: There is a Sexy Club :lol: Now I am going to have to start my pico tank, By the way Lalani great tank, were gonna need like a sexy club logo Fab :lol:

Thanks, strangelove! Start a sexy tank so you can be part of the club. :lol:

We may as well start an Offical Sexy Tank Thread too! B)

el fabuloso
Thanks, strangelove! Start a sexy tank so you can be part of the club. :lol:

We may as well start an Offical Sexy Tank Thread too! B)

That's an excellent idea!! So who wants to start the thread? :huh:

yankeereefer

check out blue zoo aquatics for the sexies - They were having a sale - I bought a trio for like $6.00 ea.

We did a group buy, my shipping was less than $7.00

I'm reassembling a tank for them tonight -Rock and sand will be from existing setups

Nice tank by the way

Yankee

el fabuloso
I'll gladly open it, but question is: which forum? General, Pico, Inverts....?

Good questions, which is why I didn't want to be the one to open it! :P It should probably be under Inverts but there would be more visibility under General. Wouldn't put it under Pico though, some people have sexies in their nanos.

I'll probably post it under Inverts.. might get moved there if I put it anywhere else.

First I'll search to make sure there isn't a thread for them already, and try to slap some decent info and links together. ;)

Reef Chicks

Can you guys make me an "honorable member" till I get mine? :happydance: I checked Blue Zoo Aquatics and they have them for $8.95 each, if you but more than 2, which I was going to get 2 trios - one for school and one for home - but shipping is a whopping $40, so that makes them out to almost $17 each... is that expensive or should I wait?

Archived