ReefCleaners.org

Lalani's 2.5gal. Pico

Lalani

Well my LFS is holding the sexy shrimp for me so I will go get it in a couple hours! I will also pick up some food for them. Now I just have to decide what to get! Now that I think about it I can't believe I split the pair up! When ever I have seen them before they have always been together! Hopefully they will be happy to see each other! :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They really do eat just about anything. You'll have to feed them regularly if you want them to leave your corals alone! Once I tried skipping a feeding day and they were frantically digging at my corals looking for food.

LMAO That Avatar Rocks!

Reef Chicks

OK, so my sexies came in and I decided to bring them home to my 2.5 pico, which is fully stocked with corals and its only resident is a green banded clown goby. I hope he doesn't mess with them. I am acclimating them right now via drip system and have noticed that one has a broken leg and 2 or 3 of them (I got 5) have no antennae. Is this normal or is it something I should report immediately to the seller. Will the broken leg one be alright? Will she (yes, its a she - bigger, fatter) grow it back? Lastly, some of them are doing kind of sommersaults in the container - is this sexy behavior? LOL... we can be so bad here... :naughtydance:

BTW what is everybody feeing theirs?

Congrats on getting your sexies! Mine eat flake food. To make sure they get enough, I present the flake to them with a pair of mechanics forceps. Its the funniest thing... When I feed them, I see the pistol shrimp (hitchhikers) poke their heads of out the LR repeatedly to let me know that they want food too. So now I'm feeding two pairs of shrimp every day... cuties. :lol:

OK, so my sexies came in and I decided to bring them home to my 2.5 pico, which is fully stocked with corals and its only resident is a green banded clown goby. I hope he doesn't mess with them. I am acclimating them right now via drip system and have noticed that one has a broken leg and 2 or 3 of them (I got 5) have no antennae. Is this normal or is it something I should report immediately to the seller. Will the broken leg one be alright? Will she (yes, its a she - bigger, fatter) grow it back? Lastly, some of them are doing kind of sommersaults in the container - is this sexy behavior? LOL... we can be so bad here... :naughtydance:

Sounds like your little babies are a little beat up. :( The goby shouldn't bother them, but keep an eye on it for a little while. The broken leg will grow back after it molts, but I'm not sure about the antennae. I really need to get more info for the Official Sexy Shrimp Thread! I would alert the seller of their conditions, so that if they don't survive, you can say that you notified the seller as soon as you got them and you could probably get a refund. Sexies are funny little things and will act all crazy sometimes, so the somersaulting is probably 'normal.' B)

Oh yeah, I was at HomeDepot today and just *happened* to pass through the lighting section. Their eggcrate was only $10, so I kinda got one..... I might set the 10gal. back up as a frag tank...... What's wrong with me? :scarry:

Reef Chicks

Nothing's wrong with you, you are addicted, just like all of us. :haha: I have never had so many tanks running at once. Its like having 5 hobbies (that's how many tanks). Every tank has live rock, corals, frags or both. I don't know how my husband hasn't taken away my bank card! :lockdown:

But I had just combined two of my tanks into one because I wanted less maintanence.... now I'm thinking about setting another one back up again. You would still have me beat.......... maybe. I've got the 20H reef, 2.5 reef, and 2.5 betta........ Does a 250gal. goldfish pond count? :haha:

Technically, the Sexy Tank isn't mine. :o I bought everything and set it all up. But I did this and got the sexies all for my mom's B-day present. I do the maintanence on it, but I still say its hers. (Yeah, I know, 23 years old and still living with her 'rents.... WHAT A NERD! But I'm taking a year off after completing college and am now in the process of starting a business.) Anyways, after we finish putting the bamboo wood flooring in the media room, the Sexy Tank will be moving into that room.

IF I do set up a frag tank, at least it would help pay for this habit...... uh... hobby...

el fabuloso
Nothing's wrong with you, you are addicted, just like all of us. :haha: I have never had so many tanks running at once. Its like having 5 hobbies (that's how many tanks). Every tank has live rock, corals, frags or both. I don't know how my husband hasn't taken away my bank card! :lockdown:

It's very addicting, I have these compulsive urges to start another tank. Must resist!

BTW I think you're one tank away from becoming a LFS! :lol:

Reef Chicks

You're not a nerd. My brother-in-law lived with his mom till last year and he's 40-something. He refused to live inside the house so he turned the garage into a bachelor pad. Then he decided he didn't want to live with mom anymore and moved into his sister's garage. Trust me you are not a nerd. You are smart! And no, 250 gallons with GOLDFISH does not count (that's a lot of goldfish)... are you running a Cajun sushi shop up there?

Haha, thanks! Your bro-in-law likes garages, eh?

Cajun sushi shop...... what a grand idea.. :bling:

They are actually large enough to fillet! Its been running for over five years, started with four $.25 feeder goldfish from Petsmart... They bred until there were 30 of them, but we've got predators around here (wild cats, dogs, bears, coyotes, coons, etc.) and we're down to ~23 of them now. They are big!

Reef Chicks

yummy!

I took you guys' advice and informed the seller of the broken legs and antennae... sounds like the Sexy Shrimp Mob no?

Reef Chicks

yikes! those things ARE huge. Girl, get a hold of Suzuki Salami Fried Nemo Restaurant right now. If they pay by the pound, you'll be loaded!

I really need to get more info for the Official Sexy Shrimp Thread!

Is there an Official Sexy Shrimp Thread already or is still in the works?

I just brought my second sexy shrimp home and they are both very happy to see each other! My first one found the new one right away and did a sexy little dance! I think the new one is still freaked by the move though!

Reef Chicks

I think this has become the official sexy thread. We've talked about just everything on here, even sexy vides, sexy acts, etc,

I can't let anyone eat my goldies.... They are pigs and poo ALOT, but they are still cute. :wub:

Jenn, glad your two shwimps are happy!

And seems like this one has turned into the sexy thread! :lol:

I'm still working on getting an official thread pulled together. Still need some info, then I've got to make it presentable. After that first post, it will pretty much be a free for all.. posting pics, videos, links, stories, everything sexy. ;)

el fabuloso
And seems like this one has turned into the sexy thread! :lol:

I'm still working on getting an official thread pulled together. Still need some info, then I've got to make it presentable. After that first post, it will pretty much be a free for all.. posting pics, videos, links, stories, everything sexy. ;)

I was just about to say that! This is definitely the interim thread for now but I'm sure the real one is going to get us into a lot of trouble! :lol:

I've been pimpin' sexies a lot so I'm sure there will be plenty of followers.

I figured this was it for now but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any of the sexy action! Other then my snails and hermits they are my first real action in the tank so it is great to find so many other people into them too.

Speaking of action there is quit a bit between the two of them! One is a bit bigger then the other but I am no sure if they are male and female or not. The bigger one is the most active and keeps waving her(?) tail in front of the other. Maybe they are just waiting for me to turn out the lights!

leofromdade305

hey lalani once again lol quick question wat kind of lights do zoa grow faster in between pc and t5 on my 5.5 gall?ill post pics tommorrow cant find my digital camaras usb cable but o well send u a pst later with pic

I've been pimpin' sexies a lot

I've noticed! :D

The bigger one is the most active and keeps waving her(?) tail in front of the other. Maybe they are just waiting for me to turn out the lights!

Bow chika bow wow! :naughtydance:

I think this is my new sexy motto.

hey lalani once again lol quick question wat kind of lights do zoa grow faster in between pc and t5 on my 5.5 gall?ill post pics tommorrow cant find my digital camaras usb cable but o well send u a pst later with pic

T5HO, HO = high output. If you compare PC and T5HO bulbs of the same wattage, T5HO will always win.

Start a thread for your tank in the member's aquariums forum, you'll get a lot more responses to your questions that way! :)

el fabuloso
Speaking of action there is quit a bit between the two of them! One is a bit bigger then the other but I am no sure if they are male and female or not. The bigger one is the most active and keeps waving her(?) tail in front of the other. Maybe they are just waiting for me to turn out the lights!

Interesting... sounds like a lap dance! :P

Any tips on sexing mine?

CIMG4270.jpg

I'm guessing the two fat ones on the bottom are females.

Looks like you're right. The two larger ones look just like my female. Watch them from time to time and you may see their rear ends full of eggs. Mine usually releases hers at night, and you can see the little guys swimming in the water column. By the next day, they are all gone though. I found a thread on RC about one woman who managed to raise a bunch of babies! You could sell them for $10 each....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

el fabuloso
You could sell them for $10 each....

You mean I can pimp 'em for reals?! Sweet!

I don't think I've seen any of them with eggs but now I'll definitely have to watch.

So I got some cyclop-eeze from my LFS to feed my sexies. They really didn't seem very interested. And just the littlest bit sure put a lot of gunk into my tank. My filter took care of it no problem but it still seems like a lot of junk to put in my tank. Especially since they didn't really eat it. So here is my noobie question. I have heard people say they feed their shrimp pellets or flake food. Are these both a dried food kind of thing? And do you just drop the pellets in? Do you just do one per shrimp? Or do you use something to hold it right in front of them?

Sorry, like I said I am new! And these are my first creatures that need to be fed. I don't them to go hungry or to decide that my polyps are looking tasty!

Archived