Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

Wished I had seen your post earlier, I could have told you where the best stores are in Charlotte.

It's not too late - I travel to Charlotte frequently so any suggestions you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Karen. Sorry I haven't commented earlier....been MIA on the boards for a week or so now. Just bogged down with real life :)

All of the new additions look awesome. Did you order these online or get them somewhere on your travels. The Torts look incredible....you will fall in love with them for sure. Glad you got some clams as well....great additions.

Hey Karen!! that little frag has already grown since I got it!! all the small baby polyps, and the unopened polyps are open!! I ordered some epoxy, so I'm really excited to glue them to one of the larger rocks!! seems they are growing pretty fast, so hopefully they will spread fairly well in the next few months once I glue it in place!

Glad to hear it's working out well for you. You should see some decent growth from it - be sure to post some pics!

Hey Karen. Sorry I haven't commented earlier....been MIA on the boards for a week or so now. Just bogged down with real life :)

All of the new additions look awesome. Did you order these online or get them somewhere on your travels. The Torts look incredible....you will fall in love with them for sure. Glad you got some clams as well....great additions.

I know what you mean about life getting in the way... As for the torts, I got them from Pookstreet. I couldn't pass them up and they are beauties!

airman_verde04

Hey Karen, a little birdie told me you were asking for pictures of more clams from a local guy selling his (or I just saw it on Charleston reefer, hehe) I'll take a picture for ya of the frag next week once I move it on the main rock and glue it down!! Its going to look awesome up there!!

How did I miss this one?? Excellent tank!!

Thanks Glenn, this is my fourth tank and I've really taken my time to do this one right. Always a work in progress, which is exactly why I enjoy the hobby...

Awesome tank man, I really like your choice of CUC though. Haha. I love watching the little critters.

Thanks Smurf - sometimes the CUC can be as interesting and entertaining as the fish and corals...

Karen

Nice solana! Have you been to coral dynamics in Charolette? Whenever I go through I stop by his place, great little shop with tons more stuff than he lists on the website

Nice solana! Have you been to coral dynamics in Charolette? Whenever I go through I stop by his place, great little shop with tons more stuff than he lists on the website

Thanks Kmitch - the only LFS I've been to in Charlotte is Fintastic. I'll definitely visit Coral Dynamics the next time I'm there. I just visited their website and got their address. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
what fish do you have in your tank????

I have a Coral Beauty, an Orchid Dottyback and 1 True Percula Clown. I lost one of my Perc's last week - carpet surfing. I have a replacement coming tomorrow morning from Sustainable Aquatics. The Coral Beauty and the Orchid Dottyback get along great and the CB does not nip at the clams or the SPS. In fact, he seems to go out of his way not to touch them.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been awhile since I posted so I thought I’d provide an update. I’m still very much in the hobby – just traveling a lot and enjoying the tank now that it’s 10 months old and stabilized. This is my fourth tank set up so I’m getting to the point where I just want to watch things grow for awhile. No algae outbreaks, no imbalances in water chemistry, and no pests – I hope it stays that way! I only regret that I don’t have room for a larger tank since I’m at full capacity.

Water chemistry is very stable. I switched salt to D-D H2Ocean a few months ago so my problem with low Mg has been eliminated. I have a lot of SPS and four clams so my Ca and Alk needs are high. I’m using a two part solution from Bulk Reef Supply so I have plenty on hand as needed. I’m currently shopping for an automatic doser for the two part solution and that is the only equipment I anticipate adding in the near future.

My Six Line Wrasse jumped, as well as one of my clowns. I sold the other clown to my LFS and replaced them with two new large False Percs. I replaced the Six Line with a Coral Beauty. She’s a model citizen and spends her day grazing the LR. I’m so glad I chose her since she is just as entertaining as the Six-Line was – always in the open. I also have an Orchid Dottyback that has accepted the new tank mates and all get along well.

Over the last several months, I’ve realized that SPS is my favorite corals but that I don’t like encrusting Monti’s. I have a beautiful Superman, Sunrise, Rainbow and another that is yellow with purple polyps. They spread too fast and take up too much room. Before you ask if you can have them – no, unless you can figure out a way to get them off my LR without causing a rock slide, damaging my other corals, or taking down my tank! I also HATE mushrooms. I consider them as bad as algae and will NEVER add mushrooms to a tank again.

Here are some random shots of some of my favorites. Thanks for looking…

IMG_2311_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2313_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2317_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2320_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2323_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2326_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2335_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2337_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2339_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2345_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2349_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2352_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2358_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2378_edited-1.jpg

Lookin' good karen, it's been awhile since I last checked on your tank an I have to say it has matured nicely! I too am switching to DD saltmix and ordered a small bucket on Monday. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend and my corals will like it.

southstar066

looks great...i have had my solana since april and have quickly switched from softy to sps dominate. i stil have the disco ball tho, looking to get the sunpod 250...is it working good for you, are you using the stock bulb of phonix 14k.....looks great lets see a FTS

Lookin' good karen, it's been awhile since I last checked on your tank an I have to say it has matured nicely! I too am switching to DD saltmix and ordered a small bucket on Monday. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend and my corals will like it.

Thanks Nick! I think you'll be happy with the salt. I've tried several over the year and this is the first one that I've ever been totally happy with.

looks great...i have had my solana since april and have quickly switched from softy to sps dominate. i stil have the disco ball tho, looking to get the sunpod 250...is it working good for you, are you using the stock bulb of phonix 14k.....looks great lets see a FTS

Thanks! I've been following your tank for awhile now and I'm glad you switched to SPS. I really like the Sunpod and yes, I replaced the bulb with a Phoenix 14k. I took a FTS and a top down shot but I got reflection so these aren't the best...

IMG_2376_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2436_edited-1.jpg

It's funny, but I actually love both mushrooms and encrusting Monti's! :P

Tank is looking beautiful as always, Karen.

Well Weetie, I wish I could remove them and give them to you! They have encrusted onto the main rock and I have no way of removing them unless I take down the tank. If/when I ever move, I'll be fragging one big rock and I'll be sure to hook you up! As for the mushrooms, they are spreading quickly and space is a premium now. I wish I could remove them - they seem to know grow in areas that I can't access.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a pain.

Although I know it's annoying for you, it speaks well for you that your tank is so healthy that you're having problems with some things growing too fast.

Those FTS's are GORGEOUS, wish I could see it in person.

I especially like the purple and red caps on the left.

I really like your clams. Your tank is absolutely fantastic in appearance!

Thanks Brian - I've certainly made a lot of mistakes along the way but with this tank I really planned ahead. I tried to focus on colors, space, etc to get the look I wanted. I spent a lot of time initially on the aquascape to maximize the amount of room for corals. I just wish I had a bigger tank now! ;)

Yeah, I can see how that would be a pain.

Although I know it's annoying for you, it speaks well for you that your tank is so healthy that you're having problems with some things growing too fast.

Those FTS's are GORGEOUS, wish I could see it in person.

I especially like the purple and red caps on the left.

Geez - thanks Weetie! :blush: I started to give you a call last week. I was in Oak Ridge on Friday but only for the day. I had to present to TVA, ORNL, and the DOE. I was a nervous wreck and by the time the meeting was over I was wiped out, so I just drove straight back to the airport and caught an earlier flight home. I'll be back in November and will staying a few days so hopefully we can hook up then.

No prob.

I was at a Frag Swap in Memphis anyway, so I woulda missed you.

Next time...

Maybe we'll have stuff to trade or sumthin! :)

Archived