Pod Your Reef

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

It's definitely a good idea to hang on to one or both Tunze pumps. My Vortech didn't last two months before it had to go in for repair. I will say the turn around time is quick though and those guy's are super nice. Your Tank is looking amazing.

Kc3

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are in need of some pictures Karen ;)

How have the corals taken to the Vortech? Have you tried getting a standing wave going? It took me a bit of tinkering to get it going in mine but it ended up freaking out the clowns...pretty funny to see :)

where do you guys put the filter floss? above the fuge? and do you use the top baffle?

Hey Jason, I don't use filter floss. Just a piece of poly filter that I buy in roles and cut into small pieces. I have the first chamber (where the skimmer used to be) dedicated to chaeto and I place the filter on top of it.

i have a K1, tunze 6045 and return pump in my solana, is that too much flow?

Some will argue that you can never have too much flow. Is your sand blowing? Do your corals look happy? If so, then go with the flow - haha.

I think we are in need of some pictures Karen ;)

How have the corals taken to the Vortech? Have you tried getting a standing wave going? It took me a bit of tinkering to get it going in mine but it ended up freaking out the clowns...pretty funny to see :)

Adam - I am loving the Vortech! I haven't really played with it yet - I'm waiting on you to come over and show me how! I'm working on pics this weekend. I'm doing a water change today and letting it clear up then I'll take some pics either this evening or tomorrow. Of course, you could always bring your camera over and snap away since you have superb photo skills!!!!!

It's definitely a good idea to hang on to one or both Tunze pumps. My Vortech didn't last two months before it had to go in for repair. I will say the turn around time is quick though and those guy's are super nice. Your Tank is looking amazing.

Kc3

Ouch - that's not good to hear. I hope I don't have any issues with it soon but I'm glad to hear their customer service is good. Agreed on the spare pump. I have one already so I'm going to sell the the Nanostreams. Thanks for the compliments!

Congrats on the February's Featured Reef Profile. Tank is coming along great, and is a great inspiration to all solana owner. And thanks for helping me with all the questions i have asked you in the past. again great tank.

Congratulations Karen. You are much deserving of this honor. I am glad to have you as a reefer friend and glad I can come over and see this beautiful tank in person.

:o This tank is beautiful!

Do I smell "TOTM" soon??? :happy:

Damn I'm good!!! ;)

Congrats!!! This tank is very VERY deserving of the honor!!! :bowdown:

Thanks so much - I had fun writing up the profile and realized I should have done better at documenting my progress. I appreciate all the nice compliments and yes, David, you nailed it!

PodRod,

Great tank! Looks totally awesome. I just purchased one myself and will be setting it up sometime later this month. Do you have a pic of the back of your tank? I am wondering how you hooked up all of your equipment. Any ideas that can help me would be great. I have all of the same equipment you have with the exception of the Osmolator, calcium dispenser, and the RI/RO from Kent. I went and purchased the 1/10th chiller due to my wife variance in temp for the room/house. Give me your thoughts and guiedance.

Qsligh

PodRod,

Great tank! Looks totally awesome. I just purchased one myself and will be setting it up sometime later this month. Do you have a pic of the back of your tank? I am wondering how you hooked up all of your equipment. Any ideas that can help me would be great. I have all of the same equipment you have with the exception of the Osmolator, calcium dispenser, and the RI/RO from Kent. I went and purchased the 1/10th chiller due to my wife variance in temp for the room/house. Give me your thoughts and guiedance.

Qsligh

Thanks and congratulations on your new tank. I'll be happy to help with the set up. I have pics of the back of my tank here http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...184869&st=0

I no longer use the calcium dispenser - I'm now using Litermeter III to dose 2 part solutions and it works soooo much better. Check out the above link and then let me know if you have questions.

Awesome tank I need to check this section more often, dont know how I missed this one!

Thanks and I appreciate the feedback. I've always admired your tank and I follow it closely.

:D:):D Congrats on the TOTM :D:):D

Thanks RLC! I've finally got the tank the way I want it - well almost ;) . There's always room to add one more frag isn't there????

where did you place your vortech?

I have it on the right side - upper middle. I really like the look of it on the back wall. Someone on RC built a dry box to house the motor. I'm seriously thinking about doing that....

The explosion of snails, brittle stars, chitons, limpets and bristle worms is starting to concern me. Several months ago I lost my Six Line Wrasse when he decided to surf the carpet. I replaced him with a Coral Beauty which I love. Unfortunately, the CB doesn't munch on inverts and my tank is now full of thousands of baby snails and various other inverts. Seriously, they are EVERYWHERE. I take out 20-30 snails every morning that are at the waterline but that doesn't even begin to touch the population. My adult snails have baby snails and baby chitons riding on their back. Little tiny brittle stars are everywhere and now I have a lot of baby bristle worms. I know that one creates the other and eventually the population will even out but geez - I've never seen an explosion of all these at once before.

I have two True Percs, a Coral Beauty and a Orchid Dottyback. None of these fish are feeding on the inverts. I'm seriously considering adding a fish to help with the population but I'm not sure how the CB will react. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get my tank under control and what fish I could add to help control the population?

Karen, look into a yellow coris wrasse, I had one til' I took out the sand, now lilredneckman has him. He was very calm but they'll stand up for themselves. i got mine for $5 after i traded in a couple frags of zoanthids, I think the price they wanted was $15 so they aren't very expensive. I got mine for flatworms and he ate them all in a few days and decimeated my brittle star popuation along with my stomie population.

Karen, look into a yellow coris wrasse, I had one til' I took out the sand, now lilredneckman has him. He was very calm but they'll stand up for themselves. i got mine for $5 after i traded in a couple frags of zoanthids, I think the price they wanted was $15 so they aren't very expensive. I got mine for flatworms and he ate them all in a few days and decimeated my brittle star popuation along with my stomie population.

Thanks Nick. I just read up on this fish and it sounds like a real possibility. I'm shopping for one now....

Thanks Nick. I just read up on this fish and it sounds like a real possibility. I'm shopping for one now....

Beautiful tank!!! Absolutely AMAZING!!!!! :bowdown:

Congratz on the ToTM!!! Well deserved!!! :D

-David

Wow Karen....sounds like you have a little too healthy environment :) Like you said, eventually they should even each other out as long as there are enough of each to predate one another.

I would be happy to take some more limpets, chitons, and bristle worms. My week coming up is pretty light at work so I can swing over during the week. I'll PM you in a minute to figure out a good day.

Karen just remember they're jumppers and when I had mine in a rubbermaid while taking out my rocks and corals to go BB he tried to jump out of that a few times.

airman_verde04

Hey Karen, I Haven't been on N-R too much lately, working nights, sleeping, being sick, getting lazier by the day.. All soon to go back to normal in about a month when I start working during the day again.. anyways, I was hoping to see some new pictures, but I guess, thanks for the disappointment.. HAHA I'm just kidding, and very cool on the TOTM stuff! I can proudly say I've seen your tank live and In person. I hope all the non-locals are jealous!! Melisa and I are going to start having a movie night. be on the look out for an invite! Happy February!

TriggerHappyDude

Karen, congrats on an awesomely wicked tank (80's terms for amazing)...

Can you post some recent or new pictures of your FTS with the stand and light in the frame?

From side and front?

I saw one on the 1st page of this thread, but wanted to see what it looks like today!

Do you mind?

I just ordered my tank and espresso stand from my LFS, and he'll have it in tomorrow.

I found the SunPod's on sale at Marine & Reef, but still haven't decided on 150w or 250w?

You have the 250w and had to take the back of your stand out for airflow to the external ballast, was it THAT hot or hurting the ballast/light?

The ballast has built in fans, was that not enough air flow?

I want to see more shots of your tank equipment, I'm wanting to see how your fans look with the overall appearance of the tank, and your other equipment. I know the 250w makes the tank run hot, which is why the fans are in place, but if I don't really need to go 250w, the 150w would save me money!

Can you explain in more detail your mods to the back chambers and what and especially why you chose to do the mods?

Keep up the awesome job!

Archived