Top Shelf Aquatics

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cute puppy! We have a purebred yorkie, his name's Williey Coyote. Thinks he's 100x bigger than he is, love barking at other huge dogs and hunts and kills anoles, it funny to watch him he'll chase it and whack it with his paw then it'll run but he still thinks it's there and attacks the ground. Have fun with the new puppym Karen!

Adam - I got the litermeter III hooked up and it works perfect! No more dosing and it's extremely accurate. The only thing I have to do to my tank is feed and weekly water change. Now if I could only figure out a way to automate that I'd have it made.

Nick - I know what you mean about the 100x's bigger. Abby already takes on my two other dogs - Cairn Terrier and Terrier/Daschund Mix. She's a handful right now but I hope she eventually hunts as well as your dog. I have moles in my backyard :D .

That's awesome Karen. Sounds like you just relieved a number of headaches and daily tasks for yourself. You could always automate the feeding but that would just take all of the fun out of it :) Next thing you know you wouldn't even have to look at your tank ;)

I can't wait to check out the whole setup now when I come over. PM and let me know what your schedule looks like this coming week. IF I get the vortech today I might have the sand, water, and rock in there tomorrow. Live sand should jump the cycle off but it would be nice to some premo rubble to get things going as well.

How has the Litermeter been working out Karen? Considering your tank has been growing crazily without it, I"m sure the growth with be stunning with super stable parameters.

Congrats on the pup, she's really cute!

Finn would love to have a playmate, but I'm not sure the rest of the fam is ready for that yet...

blizzardscout2

Your tank is sweet and only 1 year old! It looks like it is several years old. I like your clam and how it is surrounded by Zoas. Derasa right?

Reese

How has the Litermeter been working out Karen? Considering your tank has been growing crazily without it, I"m sure the growth with be stunning with super stable parameters.

It's working great so far. The real test is this week since I'm on vacation and out of town. I'll let you know how it looks next week when I return :huh: .

Merry Christmas!

Congrats on the pup, she's really cute!

Finn would love to have a playmate, but I'm not sure the rest of the fam is ready for that yet...

Oh, come on. I had two already so Abby makes 3. Where there's a will, there's a way. We are in Townsend this week in a beautiful cabin and having a BLAST! It was in the upper 70's when we left Charleston on Sunday so last night was a rude awaking for us!

BTW - traveling with a new puppy is not easy :o

Merry Christmas!

Karen

Your tank is sweet and only 1 year old! It looks like it is several years old. I like your clam and how it is surrounded by Zoas. Derasa right?

Reese

Hi Reese and yes, you are correct! Thanks for the compliment. I really enjoy the tank but I'm a little nervous this week since this is the first time I've left it for a long period of time. My neighbor is feeding the fish but the lights, temperature, auto top off, and two-part solutions are all set on timers so hopefully it will be fine when I return.

Best wishes during the Holidays!

Karen

Oh, come on. I had two already so Abby makes 3. Where there's a will, there's a way. We are in Townsend this week in a beautiful cabin and having a BLAST! It was in the upper 70's when we left Charleston on Sunday so last night was a rude awaking for us!

BTW - traveling with a new puppy is not easy :o

Merry Christmas!

Karen

Yeah, but I already had 2 lil Stinkers before I got Finn!

I SOOO wanna get one of greeneye's Mastiff mix puppies she advertised in the Livestock Classified, but I don't see a way to work it out.

Ah well, there'll be another time...

I know what you mean about the temp shock, it is INSANELY cold here now!!!!

I have Central Heat, but the last couple of days I've actually supplemented it with space heaters as well cause it's been SOOOO cold!!

If you feel like it and you have the time, feel free to stop by.

If not, no worries at all, just have a great time on your vacation and a VERY Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been so busy with work lately that I haven't had time to enjoy my tank as much as I should so I thought I'd provide a quick update. The tank is doing great and the Litermeter has made a world of difference. I was hoping to not have to add anything new to the tank for awhile but unfortunately that's not going to be the case. I have two Tunze Nanostream pumps and have had trouble with one for several months now. The impeller stops at least one time daily and I have to mess with it to get it going again. I've been in contact with Tunze and have even sent it in but they insist it is due to calcium build up. I clean it on a monthly basis and there is simply no build up on the impeller or drive shaft. I don't have any problems with the second pump and it's a few months older. I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to replace them both and I'm considering a Vortech MP20.

Other than the pump issue, all things are running smoothly. I'm going to have to frag some SPS soon but I'm hoping to wait a little longer so temps are better for shipping. I plan on getting some updated pics soon. If anyone has advise to offer on the Vortech MP20 it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Karen. I am looking forward to seeing you and the tank tomorrow...been quite a while since I've seen it and I'm sure the growth has been phenomenal.

Sorry to hear the issues with the streams. Sounds like something may be off with the ceramic shaft or something...although I'm sure you've checked everything since you've been in touch with Tunze.

Honestly, if I were you, I would ditch the streams and go with the MP20. If you want, you can come by my place sometime and check it out on my 20H. Although there seemed to be too much hype about them in the beginning, I think the hype was really warranted with these pumps. The ability to create such random flow, an amazing wave, and vary it from really really low to sand blasting 2,000 gph has got me sold on them. Even though the frags have only been in my new tank for 2-3 days, I have never seen such great polyp extension on them.

I would contact StanD and see if he can get another group buy going. PM me and I will tell you how much I paid for mine with the group buy. Also, if you do get the MP20 and decide to go to a larger tank in the future, the driver upgrade to make the 20 a 40 is about $100. Just something to think about.

We can chat more tomorrow....

Ok, it's January 15th and I'm breaking my resolution of not spending any more money on my tank. I'm getting the VorTech MP40w and hope to have it next week.

Whew - now I don't have to worry about a new year's resolution for a whole year...

Mischeif Nite

I read that you have the Tunze Calcium dispenser....how do you like it??? I have the Osmolator and have been investigating the dispenser, but I keep reading that people are still dosing two-part and that's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. Great set-up by the way!!!

I sold the calcium dispenser because I have a lot of SPS and it simply could not keep up. I found myself still having to dose 2 part, which was the whole reason I wanted the dispenser to start with. I'm now using a Litermeter III to dose the 2 part and all I can say is WOW - it's perfect and I NEVER have to dose 2-part at all. It's pricey but worth it - especially if you travel like I do and can't always be home to manually dose.

Thanks!

I read that you have the Tunze Calcium dispenser....how do you like it??? I have the Osmolator and have been investigating the dispenser, but I keep reading that people are still dosing two-part and that's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. Great set-up by the way!!!
Mischeif Nite
I sold the calcium dispenser because I have a lot of SPS and it simply could not keep up. I found myself still having to dose 2 part, which was the whole reason I wanted the dispenser to start with. I'm now using a Litermeter III to dose the 2 part and all I can say is WOW - it's perfect and I NEVER have to dose 2-part at all. It's pricey but worth it - especially if you travel like I do and can't always be home to manually dose.

Thanks!

That seems to be the consensus!!! The whole point of having a calcium dispenser would be.... not to have to manually dose anymore. Thanks for your input.

I replaced my two Tunze Nanostream pumps today with a VorTech and I really like it. I'm still learning all the different modes, but WOW at the flow I get! I decided to go with the MP40w since I hope to upgrade my tank within the next year.

I'm still trying to determine the best location for it, so I would be interested to hear from other Solana owners who use this pump as to their preferred location and what mode they like best. I'm also curious if there will be a temp change since two pumps have been removed from the display and the new pump is external.

I plan on selling one of my Tunze pumps (the second one has given me some trouble so I don't want to sell it to anyone). I'll probably just give the second one to the purchaser as a spare or for parts as needed. I'll post a listing tomorrow.

Congrats on the vortech, i so wish i could afford one. My 2 k2's in a 20 gallon tank just look so big. nanostreams cost too much alswell. I guess I'll have to keep saving......

Most everyone that owns a Solana has ditched the ATO bottles. Most are using ATO equipment, such as the Tunze Osmolator, which is what I use. MH lighting + open top results in too much evaporation for the bottles to be effective due to their small size...

has anybody on here seen the ATO mod? if so, do you have a link or can you tell me how?

Congrats on the Vortech Karen!!!! How are the corals liking it so far? Have you found a final resting place for it in the tank or are you still moving it around?

I know for me, it took me a couple of days of moving it up and down the glass to find a good mix between surface agitation and also good flow all the way across and down to the bottom of the glass. Then it took me a couple of days of messing with the settings to find just the right amount of flow. I know run it at about 45% on Reef Crest all day and then it jumps into Night Mode (which is awesome) at around 9PM...gotta let the fish and coral rest at night :)

Can't wait to come over again and see it in action.

Most everyone that owns a Solana has ditched the ATO bottles. Most are using ATO equipment, such as the Tunze Osmolator, which is what I use. MH lighting + open top results in too much evaporation for the bottles to be effective due to their small size...

i know but ive heard of somebody that modded the ATO area with removing the bottles and put a big acrylic cube in there that like tripled the size of the ATO..i was looking for that

Archived