SaltCritters.com

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04
I just ordered my tank and espresso stand from my LFS, and he'll have it in tomorrow.

I found the SunPod's on sale at Marine & Reef, but still haven't decided on 150w or 250w?

http://www.marineandreef.com/Current_USA_S...Light_s/322.htm

No tax, no shipping! So either one is a good buy.

This is why I want to see more shots of your tank, I'm wanting to see how your fans look with the overall appearance of the tank, and your other equipment. I know the 250w makes the tank run hot, which is why the fans are in place, but if I don't really need to go 250w, the 150w would save me money!

Hey Trigger Happy dude, I've been over to PodRod's house a few times and got to see her tank. her 250w looks incredible, and no pictures really do it justice. and as for the fan and equipment, nothing really sticks out and looks tacky, I think if you take your time setting, you and tuck and hide everything pretty well. I think the LFS they have a solana set up with a 150w light, but really, her tank with the 250w sunpod blows it away. It might be worth the cash, it will pay off in the long run. that's my IMO. As far as looks, here tank and stand is very fung shui. good luck!

didn't mean to be a thread robber here Karen, I'm sick and lonely at the house. ok, water change time.

TriggerHappyDude
Hey Trigger Happy dude, I've been over to PodRod's house a few times and got to see her tank. her 250w looks incredible, and no pictures really do it justice. and as for the fan and equipment, nothing really sticks out and looks tacky, I think if you take your time setting, you and tuck and hide everything pretty well. I think the LFS they have a solana set up with a 150w light, but really, her tank with the 250w sunpod blows it away. It might be worth the cash, it will pay off in the long run. that's my IMO. As far as looks, here tank and stand is very fung shui. good luck!

didn't mean to be a thread robber here Karen, I'm sick and lonely at the house. ok, water change time.

Thanks airman, I just wanted to see a few pics for myself, at different angles etc...I trust your word that it looks nice, which is important to me, and I'll be taking my time, and I'm glad she has lots of information on her equipment, so we can get ideas from her! Thanks so much.

airman_verde04
Thanks airman, I just wanted to see a few pics for myself, at different angles etc...I trust your word that it looks nice, which is important to me, and I'll be taking my time, and I'm glad she has lots of information on her equipment, so we can get ideas from her! Thanks so much.

you know, she does give more love to her corals and fish in pictures than the FTS (bad Karen), and your using a great tank thread as a reference.

Hiya PodRod! My name's Darren. I am hopefully making my return into tank keeping within a month (been on hiatus for about 4 years actually). I have a vision in my mind of what I want my tank to be like one day....and then I come on here and see your TOTM and holy crap!! It was just like what was in my head!! :wub: Beautiful yet automated. Thats just what I'm after. You are even using most of the same equipment I was planning on using (save for the fans....which I am gonna get now. Lol). I already have my SunPod 250w I got on eBay and I will be ordering my Solana and stand after I move to my new apartment in 2 weeks. I will continue to pour over this thread to get ideas and inspiration.

Keep up the awesome work and congrats on the TOTM award. I'm sure I'll be bugging you in the coming months with questions I have...hope you don't mind. :happydance: See ya around.

Hiya PodRod! My name's Darren. I am hopefully making my return into tank keeping within a month (been on hiatus for about 4 years actually). I have a vision in my mind of what I want my tank to be like one day....and then I come on here and see your TOTM and holy crap!! It was just like what was in my head!! :wub: Beautiful yet automated. Thats just what I'm after. You are even using most of the same equipment I was planning on using (save for the fans....which I am gonna get now. Lol). I already have my SunPod 250w I got on eBay and I will be ordering my Solana and stand after I move to my new apartment in 2 weeks. I will continue to pour over this thread to get ideas and inspiration.

Keep up the awesome work and congrats on the TOTM award. I'm sure I'll be bugging you in the coming months with questions I have...hope you don't mind. :happydance: See ya around.

Hey Darren - thanks for dropping by and viewing my thread. It sounds like we have a lot in common so I can't wait for you to get your tank up and running. Be sure to start a thread so we can all drool over your new tank. Keep me posted on the progress and congrats on the new apartment!

Hey David - thanks for responding for me and rob away anytime! BTW - I'll be looking for that invite!

Yellow Coris Wrasse is a great fish, but they do jump, so watch out for that.

I loved mine.

Yep - when I started shopping for the Coris I realized that I didn't want to spend that much money on another dried-out crusty dog treat...

OK - those that have followed my thread over the year know that I stay on topic - but not tonight. I've been out of town since Monday and I just got back home today. I've spent the entire week consoling my best friend of 18 years and I'm very tired and very angry. Jordan, her son and my dear friend, committed suicide on Sunday. I've known Jordan since the day he was born and I simply don't understand why he's gone. I've never had children and I can't even begin to understand the depth of pain that a parent feels when they lose a child. What I do know is that my best friend is devastated and her pain is unbearable. This is the third trip in as many months that I've made to attend the funeral of a friend's child - two from suicide and one an automobile accident. I don't want to do this again.

There are a lot of people on this forum of all different ages and that diversity is what makes this forum great. I happen to be in the upper age bracket - very upper bracket :o . I just want to say to anyone reading this thread YOU HAVE OPTIONS. SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM. I know that teenagers and young adults today are faced with an enormous amount of pressure and stress but it's just temporary. Please reach out to someone - anyone - and talk about your problems. If you can't talk with your parents then talk with your friends. If friends aren't available then jump on this forum and ask for help. People are always available here. Heck, it's Saturday night at 11:30 and I'm here and I see a lot of others as well. If you're having problems and considering suicide then please just talk to someone first. Just remember - you do have options.

TriggerHappyDude

PodRod, I knew something was wrong when you hadn't responded to my posts in over a week.

I'm very sorry for you and your friend(s) losses, its very hard to understand.

Just know we are here on the board if you need to vent. Hopefully you can get back into Reef Mode sooner than later. God Bless.

Thanks so much TriggerHappyDude and Davidr2340 - I truly appreciate your concern. I'm off my soapbox now, just had to vent. I'm fine and my best friend is going through all the normal grieving process so time and prayer will help to heal.

Now - back on topic. I purchased a Formosa Wrasse (juvenile) yesterday to help with my explosion of baby snails and my LFS will take it back once my tank gets back under control. I've got to say that is the coolest fish I have ever seen. He started munching on the baby snails as soon as he hit the water. When his belly got so full he couldn't eat anymore he simply laid down on the sand and dug underneath to cover himself, which is normal and what they do. I'll take pics later today and post them.

OK - those that have followed my thread over the year know that I stay on topic - but not tonight. I've been out of town since Monday and I just got back home today. I've spent the entire week consoling my best friend of 18 years and I'm very tired and very angry. Jordan, her son and my dear friend, committed suicide on Sunday. I've known Jordan since the day he was born and I simply don't understand why he's gone. I've never had children and I can't even begin to understand the depth of pain that a parent feels when they lose a child. What I do know is that my best friend is devastated and her pain is unbearable. This is the third trip in as many months that I've made to attend the funeral of a friend's child - two from suicide and one an automobile accident. I don't want to do this again.

There are a lot of people on this forum of all different ages and that diversity is what makes this forum great. I happen to be in the upper age bracket - very upper bracket :o . I just want to say to anyone reading this thread YOU HAVE OPTIONS. SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM. I know that teenagers and young adults today are faced with an enormous amount of pressure and stress but it's just temporary. Please reach out to someone - anyone - and talk about your problems. If you can't talk with your parents then talk with your friends. If friends aren't available then jump on this forum and ask for help. People are always available here. Heck, it's Saturday night at 11:30 and I'm here and I see a lot of others as well. If you're having problems and considering suicide then please just talk to someone first. Just remember - you do have options.

I just now saw this Karen.

I am so sorry. :tears:

I know that words are inadequate, but you know where to find me if you need me.

:grouphug:

I just now saw this Karen.

I am so sorry. :tears:

I know that words are inadequate, but you know where to find me if you need me.

:grouphug:

Thank you so much Weetie. Yoy may have heard about this on your local news as well - Jordan Altman. I love coming back home but not under these circumstances.....

Thank you for the big hug - it means a lot to know you're there for me.

TriggerHappyDude

PodRod & Friends,

I'm in a delima right now, trying to figure out an ATO and Controller combo. I want to purchase a ReefKeeper Light 3 or Elite/NET, to control my equipment, but I fell if I buy the Tunze Osomolator, I'm wasting my money as it won't need any controlling by the RK, and its $200. Or maybe I just need a Tunze and don't need the RK? Did you ever consider a RK? I know you probably love your Tunze, anyone know what kind of ATO with no controller goes well with a RK?

PodRod & Friends,

I'm in a delima right now, trying to figure out an ATO and Controller combo. I want to purchase a ReefKeeper Light 3 or Elite/NET, to control my equipment, but I fell if I buy the Tunze Osomolator, I'm wasting my money as it won't need any controlling by the RK, and its $200. Or maybe I just need a Tunze and don't need the RK? Did you ever consider a RK? I know you probably love your Tunze, anyone know what kind of ATO with no controller goes well with a RK?

I can't help you much with the RK controller since I've never owned one. I chose the ACJR instead of the RK from feedback on the forum. As I recall, the feedback was close but, at the time, the ACJR received a more positive response.

As for the ATO, there are cheaper ways to go but I was hesitant about the sensors. I like the Tunze osmolator because it uses an optical sensor and not a float switch. The float switch can stick if it gets calcium buildup, snails lodged on it, etc. The Tunze also has a backup float switch that is above the water line and will kick the tank off if the optical sensor ever failed. The ACJR and Tunze Osmolator are definitely more expensive, but remember, I travel a lot so I needed something I felt comfortable with since I'm not home every day to check the equipment.

Good luck!

Hi PodRod,

Hopefully my tank will look as nice as yours, or somewhat close B) Quick question, do you have a ton of evaporation due to the fan and light? I am getting an ATO soon but I am having to fill those bottles like 3 or 4 times a day. I am thinking I will need at least 5 gallon ATO tank? Ill check into the tunze osmolater. Trigger and I are pretty much neck and neck as far as equipment ;)

Oops - I forgot to add my live stock pics!

Coral Beauty

120308_0142_edited-1.jpg

Orchid Dottyback

120308_0162_edited-1.jpg

Mis Barred True Percs - I have two but one is camera shy. They have the black spots that has been a source of topic lately. The spots are under the skin and appear to be pigment related. I assume they have started hosting GSP since that is the only thing I can think of that would possible sting them...

120308_0164_edited-1.jpg

Porcelain Clam feeding

120308_0175_edited-1.jpg

Fire Shrimp - not a recent pick - he's a little bigger now...

FireShrimp_edited-1.jpg

Have no idea what this is but I like it. It's actually tri-colored

120308_0170_edited-1.jpg

Pocillopora

120308_0172_edited-1.jpg

I'm traveling for the rest of the week so I promise no more pics for a few days! :D

Great pictures. I love my fire shrimp. He is my favorite thing in my tank.

TriggerHappyDude
Hi PodRod,

Hopefully my tank will look as nice as yours, or somewhat close B) Quick question, do you have a ton of evaporation due to the fan and light? I am getting an ATO soon but I am having to fill those bottles like 3 or 4 times a day. I am thinking I will need at least 5 gallon ATO tank? Ill check into the tunze osmolater. Trigger and I are pretty much neck and neck as far as equipment ;)

Go with the Tunze, its worth the investment, at least all the owners say so, I believe them.

I don't want to fill those bottles 3-4 times a day, so I'd better get my ATO decided!

Hi PodRod,

Thanks and I'm sure yours will look even better when it's fully established. Yes, evaporation is an issue and those bottles are worthless. I average 1/2 gallon evaporation daily and I use a 2 gallon ATO container so I only need to fill it up about every 4 days.

Great pictures. I love my fire shrimp. He is my favorite thing in my tank.

I love my fire shrimp also but he has all at once become very shy. He used to be in the open all the time. Now he hangs upside down in the back of my tank and I hardly ever see him at all. I miss seeing him front and center....

Go with the Tunze, its worth the investment, at least all the owners say so, I believe them.

I don't want to fill those bottles 3-4 times a day, so I'd better get my ATO decided!

Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself!

• 2 weeks later...
Nick's Reef

new pics? Please! :)

Anyway karen I think you need to upgrade, it's getting pretty full, I'm picking up a new tank saturday, 40 breeder. I have a link to the thread in my sig.

new pics? Please! :)

Anyway karen I think you need to upgrade, it's getting pretty full, I'm picking up a new tank saturday, 40 breeder. I have a link to the thread in my sig.

Yes, I definitely need an upgrade! I did thin things out a bit and took a lot of frags to my LFS yesterday. They are great to work with and always offer a fair deal. I'll check our your new tank today - can't wait to see what you've got planned for it! I

I removed ALL the GSP (which wasn't easy to do) and got rid of my two big toadstool mushrooms. My Vortech keeps falling off the glass and has destroyed my beautiful orange cap, but I had a lot of cap frags to sell to my LFS as a result. I'll get some new pics this weekend. I also moved some things around slightly so I'll get some updated pics posted this weekend.

Archived