Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PodRod's Solana Therapy

PodRod

I'm looking forward to seeing how the DD salt works for you. I just picked up a small tub this weekend, but I've got some Oceanic salt left for a couple more water changes.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Karen, just wanted to say hi!! Melisa and I got back super late (or early this morning) from DC, poor thing had to work today, she will be passing out shortly after getting home today I'm sure. hope we all can finaly meet soon!! have a good week!

DC during the 4th - I bet that was fun! I hope to meet up with you guys soon. June-Aug are crazy months at work and I'm traveling a lot but the weekends are always free... :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the DD salt works for you. I just picked up a small tub this weekend, but I've got some Oceanic salt left for a couple more water changes.

I just did my second water change so it will take a few more to get the full effects. So far, I'm impressed with the calcium, mg, ph, and alk levels. I've always found salt to be low on one of the levels but this one seems to be right on.

In the past, it always felt like I was chasing something (ca, alk, ph, mg, etc.) I'm finding that the water parameters are now testing fine and there's nothing to do but sit and enjoy the tank!

airman_verde04

DC was great! I have some pictures of a few tanks I saw while we were up there.. hope to meet you guys soon!!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give a quick update on the tank. I switched salt to the D-D H2Ocean Pro and love it. I was using Red Sea Coral Pro but it had low Mg and that caused me some concern. It took a LOT of Mg to get the levels back to normal but I'm finally there. With the higher Ca levels I"m getting some great growth. I've not added any corals to the tank recently and it's been nice to just sit back and enjoy the tank without constantly making changes/additions. I didn't' realize my kalk dispenser was adding to the Mg drop until I did some research, but with the new salt I'm not finding a need for the kalk.

The tunze skimmer finally kicked in and I'm very impressed with the amount of junk that is being removed from the water column. I added the skimmer to the middle chamber so I lost the filter plate, BUT I as able to finally get my chaeto out of the display and into the first chamber. I have a 10w submersible light on the way for the chaeto - just hope it doesn't add to the temps. If so, I'll run it opposite of the MH light.

I'll be traveling the last two weeks of the month for business so I'll be making a few select stops along the way to pick up some specific SPS pieces that I need to round out my tank. After my clam fiasco, I'm finally ready to take the plunge again so I'll be shopping for a couple of nice croceas as well.

OMG Weetie - I've been so busy with work lately that I've not been keeping up with the latest happenings. Is that a dog I see in your pic? I know you were wanting a dog - is he/she yours? I'm coming to Knox on the 31st to surprise my mom for her birthday and installing a new computer for her. I'll be staying over the weekend. Can I come see the dog - if it's yours? please, please, please.....

OMG Weetie - I've been so busy with work lately that I've not been keeping up with the latest happenings. Is that a dog I see in your pic? I know you were wanting a dog - is he/she yours? I'm coming to Knox on the 31st to surprise my mom for her birthday and installing a new computer for her. I'll be staying over the weekend. Can I come see the dog - if it's yours? please, please, please.....

Yes that's my puppy he is so cool he is WONDERMOUS!!!

He's a 4 month old male Black Lab mix named Finn that I rescued from the Animal Shelter.

Please come see him!!!

Yippie!!!!!!! He is soooo cute! I can't wait to see him. I'll give you a call when I get to Mom's. Most likely Friday the 1st or Saturday the 2nd - which ever day works the best for you. I can't wait to see Finn - and of course you and the boys :) . We'll have to have Big Ed's pizza this time - I'm having a craving...

Sounds good to me!!!

Just PM me to remind me when it's getting close to that time, then give me a call, like you said.

airman_verde04

Good to see your alive Karen.. sorry you couldn't make it out with Adam and I today.. anyhoo, good to know you'll be traveling, Melisa and I are going to have folks over sometime soon, so good to know for planning.. so We wait till next month! we're going to have a talent show party!! its going to be a blast!! well.. I just made that up.. ok!! I'm going to bed.

Hey Karen. It had been a while since a update so I was starting to wonder :) Kidding, I knew the tank would be on cruise control and growing like crazy as usual. I wouldn't expect anything less with your tank.

Glad to hear that the DD H20 salt is working out so well. I am just about two weeks away from finishing out my bucket of salt so the time to switch is near. Question on your Ca/Alk dosing, have you had to change how much two part you dose because of the salt? I think that I have my dosing pretty much nailed down, finally, and just wanted to start thinking about how much it will change with the new salt. It will probably just force me to start testing daily again until I figure out where things are. 4mL of Part A and B daily is the ticket for my corals....they are just sucking it up.

It sounds like you are getting some great growth. I'm not sure what I changed in my tank but my SPS are really starting to take off. The caps continue to add growth radially out from the center, the encrusting montis are spreading, and like I said in my thread, the ORA Tort has noticeable new growth daily :) I think it's all about getting the Mg in check. Once I think things settled out with my Mg, the Ca and Alk levels fell into place and now things are really really stable every time I test (weekly).

What SPS are you looking to get? I might have to chip in some money and see if you could pick something up for me as well. I could use another 1 or 2 frags to add to the mix. I knew the clams would suck you back in....the offer still stands if you want your maxima back. She/he is happy as a clam :P

Have a great weekend.

I never get the same reading from the API and the Salifert. I would trust the Salifert when it comes to Calcium.

I have to disagree. I used Salifert for 3 yrs and was always a BIG supporter of their products. Unfortunately, they made some bad batches (lots of discussion on the forum) and that cost me some significant trouble until I realized their Ca test kit was way off. Here's the thread to my findings http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=153392&hl= I find API to be very accurate and so much cheaper. I'm using Salifert only for Mg and that's because API doesn't make a Mg test kit. I had to throw away a new Salifert Ca test kit and that was an incredible waste of money for me. I no longer trust the readings I get from their test kits and I'm an API fan now.

Hey Karen. It had been a while since a update so I was starting to wonder :) Kidding, I knew the tank would be on cruise control and growing like crazy as usual. I wouldn't expect anything less with your tank.

Glad to hear that the DD H20 salt is working out so well. I am just about two weeks away from finishing out my bucket of salt so the time to switch is near. Question on your Ca/Alk dosing, have you had to change how much two part you dose because of the salt? I think that I have my dosing pretty much nailed down, finally, and just wanted to start thinking about how much it will change with the new salt. It will probably just force me to start testing daily again until I figure out where things are. 4mL of Part A and B daily is the ticket for my corals....they are just sucking it up.

It sounds like you are getting some great growth. I'm not sure what I changed in my tank but my SPS are really starting to take off. The caps continue to add growth radially out from the center, the encrusting montis are spreading, and like I said in my thread, the ORA Tort has noticeable new growth daily :) I think it's all about getting the Mg in check. Once I think things settled out with my Mg, the Ca and Alk levels fell into place and now things are really really stable every time I test (weekly).

What SPS are you looking to get? I might have to chip in some money and see if you could pick something up for me as well. I could use another 1 or 2 frags to add to the mix. I knew the clams would suck you back in....the offer still stands if you want your maxima back. She/he is happy as a clam :P

Have a great weekend.

I'll be going through Columbia and plan on stopping by Aquarium Specialty. I"ll let you know before I leave so you can decide if there's anything you want me to pick up for you. I'll also be in Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem and Knoxville so let me know if there are any LFS you want me to visit or that you recommend.

Thanks for the offer on the clam, but he appears to be very happy in his new home!

I'm still dosing 2 part every day, but I'm no longer using kalk. So basically, the salt allowed me to get rid of the kalk dispenser. I guess I could have kept the kalk disp and stopped the 2 part solutions, but I found an article that suggested the kalk was the culprit for my low Mg. I'd rather dose 2 part every day than to use the kalk top-off and dose Mg. I'm still debating this scenario and may switch back now that I have a salt with high Mg. What do you think is the better of the two?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Karen. Had to dig back to page 6 to find your thread. How have the last couple of weeks been? How are things in the tank?

• 4 weeks later...
airman_verde04

Just read about some new arrivals!! good luck with your new clams! cant wait to see the pictures!! maybe I'll get to see them in person this week!

Thanks Adam and David! Work has been CRAZY lately and I've went MIA for awhile. It's been nice to just watch the tank grow without tinkering with it. I got the two clams today and will take some pics of the newbies and an updated FTS tomorrow. I'm STILL trying to figure out what I want to put on the bottom middle rock. I'm thinking either a nice SPS colony or just go with some rics. I also have some mag frag plugs that I'd like to use with SPS on the back wall.

I purchased some 2-part solution from Bulk Reef Supply and I'm really happy with it. I have a lifetime supply now :lol: . That's a good thing since my tank is consuming more - I'm adding 15ccs 2Xs daily.

Between work and painting, I've not been focused on the tank lately but I'm slowly making my way back. Receiving the clams today got me re-engaged with the tank so I'm sure you'll start hearing more from me...

airman_verde04

Hey Karen! Thank you so much for the cheato and the little frag!! I got home after work, and I think a crab moved it, ugg!! this happens every time, I'm going to have to get some marine epoxy to glue that stuff down.. anyways!! I'll have pictures up for you tomorrow!! I'm also expecting pictures of those beautiful clams of yours!! I think when you have a free day, Melisa and I should come over so we can just stare at your tank!! hehe..

Hey Karen! Thank you so much for the cheato and the little frag!! I got home after work, and I think a crab moved it, ugg!! this happens every time, I'm going to have to get some marine epoxy to glue that stuff down.. anyways!! I'll have pictures up for you tomorrow!! I'm also expecting pictures of those beautiful clams of yours!! I think when you have a free day, Melisa and I should come over so we can just stare at your tank!! hehe..

Thanks David and bring Melissa over - you guys are welcome anytime!

I added two clams and two frags this week so I thought I'd post an updated FTS. I'm so happy with my newbies!!!!

Oregon Tort

IMG_2200_edited-1.jpg

Cali Tort

IMG_2198_edited-1.jpg

FTS with new clams

IMG_2228_edited-1.jpg

Yes, there is a rock under the clam on the sandbed. I got the two torts from PookStreet and I'm really impressed. I can't seem to capture the blue in the cali frag but trust me, it's very nice. Thanks PookStreet :flower:

airman_verde04

So I see you found something nice a pretty for the middle rock!! tank looks great!! you'll have to take a few n ice close shots of your clams when you get a chance! have a good weekend.

airman_verde04

Hey Karen!! that little frag has already grown since I got it!! all the small baby polyps, and the unopened polyps are open!! I ordered some epoxy, so I'm really excited to glue them to one of the larger rocks!! seems they are growing pretty fast, so hopefully they will spread fairly well in the next few months once I glue it in place!

Archived