ReefCleaners.org

Looking for a Cheap Metal Halide Alternative?

AbSoluTc

Sorry greywolf. I should have posted about that. I tried to do it cheap before I posted this thread, but it did not work. I nicked my glass corners too. It was a tight fit, but for testing purposes it was ok. As a final fixture, not even close :)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem Abs, actually it's a confirmation that others had the same issue. BTW I received your priority mail today, thanks.

I've seen threads on RC where they successfully use these fixtures but they all remove the existing ceramic contacts and install proper ones for the MH bulbs. What I like about the fixtures is that they are small, relatively easy to mount in either a DIY canopy or pendant, and the include the a tempered glass shield.

Good to hear you got the mail.

What is this small package you are talking about in regards to the regant work light? I have a small one, but its no where near mountable in anything really.

Graywolf57 and AbSoluTc,

Thanks for the heads-up on the possible problem with the Regent fixture. I guess when I finally decide which bulb to get, I see how tight of a fit it is. I wonder if I could grind out a groove in the ceramic with a Dremel without cracking it. If not, I will have to buy some new contacts from Hellolights and mod them into the fixture.

Can anyone compare the 70w Ushio and AB 10k bulbs? Does the AB look more blue? I can't wait to here AbSoluTc's opinion of the Catalina 20k bulbs.

Graywolf, how's the color on your Catalina 10k bulb? Is it a nice white-blue or is it too yellow? Got any pictures yet?

Thanks,

Ron

attachment.php?s=&postid=115593

Question wasn't directed at me so please excuse me, but here is a pic from the first page of the 10k Catalina. Its a nice crisp white with a descent amount of blue.

BTW - the connectors you see in the pic are from the regant fixture.

I don't have a camera right now so thanks Abs for answering. Your description of the color is accurate based on my eyeball factor. I can't compare bulbs as this is the only type I have at the moment.

Ronl - here is a thread from RC with pictures of the mods made by one person. Read it through because it seems several people had done this and some of the mods were slightly different and may work better with your fixture type. My fixture looks like the one pictured in this thread. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...&threadid=45660

Absolutc - good point on the small fixture question. Small is a relative term on this forum. My fixture is 9.25 L x 6.75 W x 3.5 D.

Being the only light source for say a 2.5, I would think a DIY pendant would be the only thing that wouldn't look too large. I haven't tried it yet so this may be wishful thinking.

Sorry for the multiple posts but I was just told I can get a dozen more of the WPI ballast for $15 each plus shipping to me. Not sure what that will be yet, but if there is enought intrest I will order a dozen.

Cost to those interested will be my cost ($15 plus final shipping cost to me) plus the priority shipping cost to each of you. I will handle the shipping in the same manner Foo did. The only issue is I have to wait for the shipping boxes.

Is there any additional intrest? I know Mane and Liquid wanted one before.

Graywolf-

You have one of the aromat ballats? Are you going to keep the 2 different types? I have a funny pet peeve about having 2 off things. I prefer to have 2 of the same.

If you plan on riding it, let me know. Dunno what you paid. Maybe Ill just get 2 more of each ballast.

Damn decisions!

I agree with the odd number of units thats why I bought two of the aromat ballasts. Also why I plan to get another of the WPI ballast so I'll have two of each.

I paid a higher per unit cost for my aromats than you did though...If you can still get them at the price you mentioned before that would be a much better deal for you.

I was going to test the aromat ballast tonight but I think I'll let the bulb cool down and test it tomorrow.

AbSoluTc,

Thanks for the picture. The connectors in my Regent fixture are different from the ones in your pic. Mine are round. Please post a pic of the Catalina 20k wen you get it for comparison.

Greywolf,

I have actually seen that thread on RC before. There was another similar thread where someone said the 70w would work without modification. I guess that person never actually tried it and was making that statement based on the length of the bulb.

Ron

You are probably right Ron. That or he got a variation where the heigth of the contacts worked for his bulb....hard to tell.

I got my sockets and my Ushio 10k bulb intoday. I was pretty happy because it was like christmas! :)

I got a nice smooth piece of board to set this thing on for testing and burn in. Got it all hooked up and plugged that bad boy in. A few minutes later I started to smell something, but blew it off because I thought it was just that "new bulb" smell :)

Few minutes later I started seeing smoke and I officially freaked out. I unplugged it as fast as I could and hoped nothing went horridly wrong. Everything was fine, the heat from the bulb started burning the wood. lol. So I found this metal piece and put it under there so that would not happen anymore.

It is up and running fine now and I am using the Aromat ballast. I should be getting the 20k bulb any day now. After the 3 hour burn in is up, I will switch ballasts and see how it goes.

So far the ballast is only slightly warm. I love it so far.

Thats good news....I just swapped to the aromat ballast using the same bulb in the test rig....nada...not even a spark in the bulb. So I swapped back to the WIP ballast....same thing...dead.

Now I am wondering if the Catalina 10K's are one shot wonders....can't turn the off.....

Absolutc - can you give me any suggestions on how you worked with PSL to save me some time....any direction is appreciated.

dang the catalina burned out on you graywolf? dang that sucks... you think maybe its because your switchin the ballast around? or its just the bulb is a POS? hmmmm i really dont have the money for the ushio bulbs... dang

Originally posted by bertz_maru

dang the catalina burned out on you graywolf? dang that sucks... you think maybe its because your switchin the ballast around? or its just the bulb is a POS? hmmmm i really dont have the money for the ushio bulbs... dang

Ushio bulbs are 50 bux from PSL. So, you might want to give that a try.

Absolutc - can you give me any suggestions on how you worked with PSL to save me some time....any direction is appreciated.

I called them up and told them what happened. I slapped on a few layers of ####ed off-ness and they were pretty cool about getting me up and running again. I paid a little extra to have my bulb shipped 2 day because I really wanted to see how these ballasts went.

You can contact them here - 916-381-3551

You have a few hours before they close shop over there. I think I might call catalina and give them a few thoughts that have been floating in my head, problem is when they come out - it won't be nice.

Good Luck!

actually Bertz I kicked myself for not turning the bulb on again with the WIP ballast first. I have another Catalina bulb and plan to hook it up to the Aromat ballast for it's initial test.

I have no proof but I don't think it was the ballast. I wired it carefully so I'm sure nothing was shorted or anything like that.

If the new bulb works fine in the aromat for several hours, and will not turn back on after a cool off period, I think that pretty much points to an issue with the bulbs.

I hope the 20K Catalina bulb Absolutc is testing fairs better.

We're turning into a loosly tied together 70watt MH test facility without even trying.

PSL sales - Ya know what I admire someone who has the guts to put that in print....Just for that I'll buy from you again if the price is right....

But I got to tell you, if you know the bulbs are crap why are you still shipping them out?

I feel like I am being punked!!

PSL_sales,

Do you mean that the next shipment of product from Catalina will be of better quality?

-OR-

that you have a new supplier/manufacturer you're sourcing 70W HQI Mh bulbs from?

Clarification?

The more I think about it the more I wonder why am I paying the difference for a light that works if you knew the stuff you were sending was part of a bad shipment.....Hmmmm .....

But I got to tell you, if you know the bulbs are crap why are you still shipping them out?

Thats kinda what I am thinking. I could have saved myself a few bux and could have gotten 2 bulbs instead of .. nevermind.

Seems like bad business to know you received a bad shipment of something and still go ahead and sell them for full price without letting the customer know or a steep discount. What goods is a light to fire up for one time if it wont fire again. I may stay away frm psl.com

OK thats two people interested in the WPI ballast...need a few more.

I would like to see PSL answer Foo's question....will they be catalina or another supplier. I'd also like to see them take the catalina 10K bulb off their website since they have admitted it is faulty...otherwise it looks like they are betting a percentage of the people will say...oh well caveat emptor and PSL keeps $25 bucks for known faulty merchandise

Archived