inTank Media Baskets

Looking for a Cheap Metal Halide Alternative?

AbSoluTc

Well, for 65 bux - you can have a 70w MH setup!

Ballast: 40.00

Bulb: 25.00

Here are a couple of pictures. This thing is hella bright and is a nice white with a blue hue!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is a Metal Halide HQI... Whaddya mean alternative

Alternative to higher prices!

Where did you get the ballast and bulb and what color is the bulb??

Ballast - Ebay

Bulb - 10k - Petsupply Liquidators

By George, I think you have uncovered the way to have a MH over a nano for less cost then PC's. Nice job.

What is the deal with heat on a 70w? I have never used that bulb but would it be safe to say that the temp would be roughly half that of a 150 watt MH and double that of a 32 watt PC?

Originally posted by LiQuiD

By George, I think you have uncovered the way to have a MH over a nano for less cost then PC's.  Nice job.

What is the deal with heat on a 70w?  I have never used that bulb but would it be safe to say that the temp would be roughly half that of a 150 watt MH and double that of a 32 watt PC?

Heat is half that of a 150, and a bit more than a 32w PC bulb. If the MH is in an enclosed hood, the heat will not be an issue on the tank. Mounted in a canopy over a tank with all sides solid except for the back - there will be a heat problem.

Originally posted by bertz_maru

dont you need the hqi bulb to be in a closed fixture?

As long as the tank is protected from the bulb (UV shielding glass) there is no problem.

What reflector are you using with that because if you use a good one it will add to the cost.

just a thought

ant

AbSoluTc that's great. I saw those ballasts on eBay too but I didn't buy because I was concerned about running that bulb on it since the manufaturer doesn't recomend it.

http://www.aromat.com/faq.pdf I guess I'm a big chicken and didn't want to risk wasting my money if the bulb didn't light with that combination.

Does anyone know about the Catalina 70W HQI bulbs? I saw those too but didn't know anything about their output characteristics. I couldn't find any manufacturer data on them anywhere on the web. I saw someone post some complaints about Catalina lamps shifting color after a short period of time but I think they were complaining about fluorescents. That and the lack of info kept me from buying those. Hey but at $25 who can beat that!

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

As long as the tank is protected from the bulb (UV shielding glass) there is no problem.

Your eyes need protecting too! Put it in a fixture. UV damage to your eyes over time is cumulative and irreversible.

Oh- BTW - sweet setup and price! I just know in a few years people would have 2.5 gallon SPS tanks :P

bertz_maru

a uv shielding glass over the tank? or just in front of the bulb? what size tank are you putin this on? i have a 2.5 i would like to see this over.. =)

Single ended bulbs are encased in a glass envelope. That filters out the UV emmitted from the inner bulb. Double ended bulbs lack a glass envelope. Your corals need to have a piece of glass between them and the bulb, and your eyes need something between them and the bulb as well. If you mount it in a hood with glass in front of the coral, so no light leaks out of the hood, you will be fine. Or you can put it in a pendant - something like that. I did some reading about it when I got my DE 150 watt. Trust me, you don't want to be looking at light emitted directly from the bulb every day. Besides, if water splashes on that bulb, or if you touch the bulb and get a smudge on it, it will cause uneven heat distribution and the bulb might blow up.

And before you ask - any type of glass is supposed to work for a shield. I think at least 5/16th" thick is supposed to be the norm?

Some of the previously owned 70W aromat nais ballasts that I've seen on eBay appear to be sold by people with indoor gardens. You know some kind of plant people smoke in water pipes. There are doubtless numerous more approved uses and some not even considered by the manufacturer like nano reefs.

The specs for the ballast are on aromat's web site http://www.aromat.com/70w.pdf 323kb acrobat file.

The spec dimensions listed are approximately 4.7" x 1.57" x 3.53".

Thank you for posting that :)

The ballasts are new and came out of fixtures that were discontinued. I spoke with a gentleman at aromat and he told me this is their newer ballast and will run 70w DE bulbs. He said there are no known issues with ushio, iwasaki or the like, but some bulbs will not work.

So far, I have not had a problem.

My 150 watter came used in a DIY pendant. It looked like an old outdoors halogen security light pendant with a MH socket bolted in (check my pics in the DIY forum). A good pendant with DE socket from a fish store is going to cost about $100 tho (worth it, IMO). I actually switched to a PFO pendant from marinedepot, and I like it a lot. More light is directed downward as opposed to out to the side. I'm not sure if the 70 and 150 watts have the same size bulb either.

Wow, this is killer, I was thinking of adding a 70 mh along with my csl 32w to my 7g bow, this may be the time. Does anyone have the addy to the auction on ebay? I couldnt find it?

Thanks.

Archived