Pod Your Reef

Looking for a Cheap Metal Halide Alternative?

AbSoluTc

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, your not kidding. I wonder if we mention Kris if he will drop his price again. Has anyone else picked these up?

I just sent him payment for one this morning and no, he doesnt drop the price of you mention Kris. Heck, I'd say 40 bucks is already cheap enough......considering theyre usually like 130 dollars. I think he has more left so order away!

The price has since went up to 65 as mentioned above and Kris's name won't lower it....good catch and good buy for Kris....

Mane - Thanks sent you a pm so we don't hijack

jpjpus - Did you get the $40 dollar deal on the ballast. If so good for you.

hey does anyone knoe the guys email on ebay that is sellin these so i can put my order in... i dont have a credit card nor an aol account so i cant use ebay... thanks

Everyone hold off for a bit. I beleive this guy now knows what he has and is starting to get a bit greedy in my opinion.

His auction lists the ballast at 55.00. The buy it now price is 65.00. Why he is jacking it up so much, I do not know.

I sent him an email about purchasing another ballast at the origional price of 40.00 and he emailed me back stating all ballast sales have ceased.

Why? I have no idea. I will send him an email tomorrow about purchasing maybe 6 at one time and see if he will give me some sort of discount. If he does, would I be able to get 6 of you to purchase them (pre-pay) ?

If he still won't sell, give me a day or two and I will see if I can find another source for everyone. I have knack for finding this stuff so just give me a day or two.

I will keep everyone up to date with the latest news :D

Kris

Nice. If Ushio or something made a 20k bulb in 70w I'd love to stick one of those over my 18g along with the current 150w de 10k, but sadly I dont have a hood to retrofit it into.

I spoke with a gentleman at aromat and he told me this is their newer ballast

These are not their newer ballast per the below page on their website. These particular ballasts (3EU) were replaced in November 2002 with a new 5EU series of ballasts.

http://www.aromat.com/lcd_lightprod.htm

That is proboably why the seller on ebay got a good deal on a bunch of them and was selling them so cheaply. He probably also had no idea that a bunch of nano aquarium people would be interested in these ballasts since he has them listed in the lamp and lighting section on ebay. But now that he's gotten emails from 5-10 aquarium folks in the past day or so, he realizes that he has a hot item with a bunch of potential buyers. Hence, the increased price.

Absolutc, I would buy one from you if you can find an alternative supplier of these ballasts for a good price. Either the 3EU or the 5EU.

Ron

Originally posted by Graywolf57

jpjpus - Did you get the $40 dollar deal on the ballast. If so good for you.

yeah. i paypaled him 44 dollars. he had sent me an email late the prior night and said he would sell for 40 dollars (+ 4 for shipping). however, since payment i havent heard from him.

Edit: I just checked my paypal account and it seems he has accepted my payment so i assume he's gonna send it. Guess i was the last one to be lucky enough to get on from him at 44 bucks.

AbSoluTc -

If you can get ahold of a few of these I would like to pick one up as well!

Just post the info & Ill Paypal you

Thanks

Ok, for those of you who wanted these, let me know now. Here is the deal. I beleive it is a decent price so here we go...

In order to get these, I started the price at 40/45. He wants 50 bux for the ballasts. Still, an excellent price. The catch? I need 10 people to buy them! Maybe just 9.

LET ME KNOW ASAP if ANY of you want these ballasts! I need at least 9 people before I send him the money!

I will give everyone 2-3 days to make a decision. After that, I can not guarantee anything.

So, if you are intrested - contact me ASAP! or post here.

iamavirus@comcast.net

Kris

As an alternative would people be interested in an eballast made by a different manufacturer for $20?

This particular ballast only lights MH 70W HQI Double Ended Bulbs though but that's probably what most of you are looking for. The ballasts are new old stock.

I bought the last 2 ballasts this guy listed on eBay for $12+Shipping and $21+shipping. I'm working on getting a bunch of ballasts from him but I don't want to spoil things like with the guy selling the Aromat eballasts and have the price run up.

I think I can get a dozen out of him, more if people are really interested. Cost to you would be $20 shipped.

Let me know if there's interest in this electronic ballast. I fired it up for a few minutes and everything seems to check out okay with the ballast.

Archived