Pod Your Reef

Looking for a Cheap Metal Halide Alternative?

AbSoluTc

I definitely agree with foo, we don't want to drive the prices up so everybody can benefit from the lower price. Definitely don't let the word get around on reefcentral otherwise they will be all gone!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was working on the pendant to receive the ballast and I finished it about midnight so the ballast was running for 2 and a half hours tonight and everything was okay when I pulled the plug.

Note the spider lite inspired reflector I made that I mounted it in. I'm most pleased with that. Check it out:

HQI Ballast photo album

Tomorrow I'll run it again for at least an hour for day 2 of my burn in torture testing.

Foo So far so good -

Absolut - The other thread I seen from you on the Catalina bulb. was that the $25 one by any chance?

I haven't decided or not to try to secure another lot from him. We're waiting to see how well these ballast perform. I'll decide by the end of the week or maybe next week whether or not to get some more.

I ran the ballast for another hour and a half, everything was okay with the ballast but the new glass I cut and installed on my DIY pendant as a shield broke so I stopped the test. The glass couldn't take the heat. I guess I need to use tempered glass.

I put my hand on the ballast at the end of the test and it was only very warm but not burningly so. So everything still continues to check out okay with this the Warner ballast and Ushio bulb.

I'm just about prepared to bless the ballast but I'll continue to do a burn test of at least an hour every day until the promised ballasts arrive.

The Warner Ballast weighs 1lb 5oz each and I intend to ship the ballasts using priority mail. The rate for PriorityMail over a pound varies depending on distance. If the lucky buyers could send me their addresses I'll compute totals and request funds when the merchandise is ready.

If you haven't purchased your bulbs yet you may want to read some of the links off this other thread I started about 70W HQI bulbs

Even though the Catalina bulbs may be inexpensive, you may be getting what you pay for.

Give strong consideration to using the Ushio and Aqualine bulbs even though they're more expensive at $70.

hey AbSoluTc, are you having problems with your catalina bulb? i currently dont have the money to buy the $70 bulbs so im going to buy the catalina.. but if things dont work out imma just go ahead and rip some money from my parents and get me a $70 bulb.. let me knoe..

bertz-

My bulb fired 1 time and that was the end of it. Some bulbs are just born bad. Now, since I can not get ahold of the company that sold it to me to get a replacement, I do not know if it will be a reoccuring thing or not.

I am in the boat with others that think 70-80 bux for a 70w bulb is expensive. I think its a bit absurd.

I'm not trying to post FUD here just want people to be aware of what they're getting into if they go the cheaper way.

The way I look at it quality is the manufacturers problem not mine. If it happens that the quality of the product is less than desired, that should be made known to the buyer so an informed decision can be made. I'm really not interested in wasting days trying to return product and want it to work out of the box.

$70-$80 may not be too expensive if the alternative is that you run the chance of having to do a RMA on the thing. That whole return process I find absurd, tedious and frustrating. Or maybe you have to eat the cost of the bad bulb.

But really the jury is still out on the Catalina's.

It's known that Catalina has some quality issues that are perhaps higher than the cometing products.

What's not known is the long run performance of the bulbs. Do you get comparable lamp life as compared to Ushio or Aqualine? All of that must be balanced with cost.

Getting tired of testing. I guess that's why I wouldn't be any good at QA. No problems to report. I hope shipment will arrive Friday (today) or tomorrow.

393830_6091448330761398001_v.jpg

I'll PM payment requests to the buyers who've responded to me already with their shipping info. Those who haven't responded will need to send me their shipping info so that I can compute a total and get that to them if they still want the stuff.

PayPal from PayPal funds please.

I don't really want to hassle with checks or money orders and don't want to absorb credit card transaction fees but will if necessary.

I will be shipping via USPS Priority Mail first thing tomorrow to those who send payment through PayPal tonight.

Graywolf57 could you resend the payment to the other email address. I forgot to mention in my PM to send my paypal funds only not from a credit card.

AsahiToro received your fundage and am boxing them up as we speak (type).

If the people I sent PM's to for payment need to send funds from a credit card let me know and I'll send you alternate instructions but it's not preferred since I was wanting to get rid of that account but it can wait another month I guess.

Graywolf57 thanks for letting me know about the full mailbox. It didn't tell me it was full. I'll clean some out.

Thanks all.

foo-

You accept credit card payments not through paypal? I am there if you can give me the nfo.

Foo,

I need the email address that I can use to Paypal by credit card. I just tried to PM you but your box is still full. I see that you rejected the payment back to my credit card. What is the credit card transaction fee? Is it like 2%? If so, I will add an extra $0.50 when I resend the payment to the other address.

Sorry,

Ron

Just got your email as I was typing this. Sending to the new address + $0.50 extra.

Dang, this is annoying. My sucky SBC DSL cutting in and out. Geez I have to call those guys again. My PM box filling up because I don't want to delete things so I don't lose people's info, didn't give people better instructions.

Grrrrr. Getting corrected instructions out to the people.

Okay that's better. Phew.

Absolutc - your mailbox is full. Just to let you know everything was fine and your ballast has been taken care of as well.

Foo - Thanks again for setting all this up for everyone and maybe I'll take you up on your email suggestion.

Foo/Greywolf-

Last message I got from foo was he was shipping both ballasts to you Grey. Is this still the case? I prefer not to do it that was as it is double shipping - foo to wolf and wolf to me.

Anyways, let me know if this is still the case. Either way, thats fine :)

Don't pm me yet. Gotta clean out the inbox! :D

No. He had me mail it to you directly and paid me the full amount. The ballast is already boxed separately from yours addressed to you.

Archived