SaltCritters.com

Looking for a Cheap Metal Halide Alternative?

AbSoluTc

I would think the WPI would run brighter since it is a 75w vs a 70w ballast. Does the WPI run cooler than a typical non-electronic MH ballast?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any core and coil ballast would burn your hand if you tried to hold it.

Some anecdotal data.

I have a 175W Blueline and it is a big resin filled brick. It seems to run cooler than the WPI but if is many times the size of the WPI, it could be the greater surface area dissipates the heat better. Now you got me wondering if the WPI is truly 'electronic'. I've heard that (don't know how reliable this info is) some ballast manufacturers call their ballasts electronic even though they are not completely electronic. I don't know if that's the case here, and the WPI case is so small so forget that I said anything about that. Most people probably only care that the ballast is inexpensive, even compared to a core and coil.

Something posessed me last night and I ordered 3 of these 70W BLV (Ushio) Blue HQI bulbs from England. I just ordered them so it may be a while before they show up.

It's the 70W version of what Hellolights sells as a 150W DE 20,000K.

Would anyone want to take one of the three off my hands when I get them, they're costing me $50 each? bertz_maru you were wondering about a 20,000K bulb right?

If there are no takers that's okay I like to keep extras. A couple people also backed out on me with the WPI ballasts so I have a couple extras there but I'm happy to sit on those too. Maybe I'll try to run 2 70W HQI's the blue BLV with a cheaper more yellow bulb over the tank. Damn! should have thought of that last night and got a 6,500K bulb too. Now I'll need another pendant. Maybe I'll try to retrofit a Reliant halogen flood like everyone else is doing instead of starting from scratch this time.

OK so after I read that I am not sure if you have another BLV bulb available or not. If so I will take one.

Additionally, on the Ballast issue. I have had three people ask me for them, If you want the names I'll give them to you so you can get rid of your supply first. Since I have not ordered I am not out anything yet.

Graywolf57 I'm sorry if I ramble incoherently at times. The things that I type are like a stream of consciousness sometimes. Lots of random thoughts and incomplete sentences.

I was going to keep two but I'll give you one and bertz_maru the other if he wants it since I know he was interested in that sort of thing. I'll email you when I get them.

I ordered them because I wanted to eveluate them and it was cheaper to order 3 or more. I better watch my credit card statement that site's checkout was kind of wacky: http://www.dealec.co.uk Instead of using SSL they had a craplet that I had to type credit card info into.

Regarding the ballasts, that's okay maybe I'll keep them a while until I decide how many I'm using, now I'm considering using 2 ballasts for the tank. And I need a spare too. Maybe if one of your buyers is in California I'll ship one to them or you have too many buyers I'll sell one. Dont worry about my ballasts I can keep them awhile.

Weird Nano-Reef munged the URL somehow and it came out with some bizzare partial URL encoding. Try this link and navigate to the HIT-colorite page.

http://www.dealec.co.uk

are the bulbs you ordered 120 or 220 volts

Not a dumb question. The ballast takes the input power and output's the voltage, frequency and current needed by the bulb. The vlotage is a problem for the input of the ballast not the output to the bulb.

Specs for the bulb http://www.blv-licht.com/images/BLVMedia0017405.PDF

Graywolf57 your mailbox is full.

hey foo ill take one of those 20k bulbs.... i can paypal the money again if you want... just let me know when you get them and how they do...

Ok, I just have to make this post.

I have to give many kudos to PSL/Catalina here. I have talked to them several times today about a hood and the bulb problems and a couple other things. The 20k bulb I purchased on ebay is from somone that works for PSL/Catalina. So, knowing this and their recent problems I called them with my concearns. The gentleman on the other end of the phone was really nice and handled it correctly. He is knocking a nice chunk of change out of this hood when I decide to order it.

A nice chunk of change. For those of you having some problems, call up PSL/Catalina and speak with JIM. He will get you straight and then some. So far, I have been treated fairly and due to my recent discussion with him, I am willing to give them more of my business if I ever need something.

Maybe its a huge load of crap to cover this up? I don't know. I feel he was very sincere, honest and up front. Don't know that many companies that will do that these days.

Also, they are going to be get some german made (Ushio or the LIKE) MH lamps in. I also hear they are dropping the ball on the Catalina lamps all together because of their lackluster performance.

Well, I will stop rambling. My point here is I really can't not like a company that rights their wrongs. I have to give them points for that.

Hopefully the 20k bulb will have a better track record than its brother the 10k. We will see.

Thanks for listening.

AbSoluTc, That's great they're making good on things for you!

I'm also glad to hear they're going to carry some better product!

So will PSL eventually stock a reliable 10,000K 70W bulb at a fair price.

Do you know if they plah to stock 20,000K 70W bulbs too?

I'd prefer not having to order stuff from europe if I can help it.

Foo-

I don't know about carrying 20k bulbs in replacement of the Catalina ones. Unsure. I do know that they are getting a new supplier for the 10k ones.

Gray-

Great to hear!

hey foo.. i just got my ballast today... safe and sound on the outside.. i have an idea on how to wire the ballast but can someone show me a picture just to make sure.. ive seen the illustrations on the ballast but i rather be safe than sorry.. any pics guys?

Its pretty simple, green/green - black/black - white/white.

The 2 red wires go to the lamp. Doesn't matter which side they go to.

Here are 3 pics.

That would be the 10k Ushio in that picture. You don't HAVE to use the ground, but with all that water floating around, I would advise you too.

Why Ground?

Salt water and power is always a dangerous combination as AbSoluTc says.

But also remember the ballast is stepping up the voltage to the bulb to 4000 volts so if there is some sort of fault in the ballast you run the risk of a large discharge of power going into you instead of the grounding wire. Electrifying!

I'm glad these Aromat and WPI ballasts are working out for most everybody and people seem to be their bulbs to work with them. Now we just got to get them installed over the tanks.

Archived