Coral Vue Hydros

My diary of a Biocube 8

Kimberly63

Good to hear you got the timer issue sorted out, Kimberly! :) Turbo snails are great, I should pick me up one or two, lol!!

Well, just remember that monster turbo = montster turbo turds :) I'm gonna have to get more hermits too.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything looks good kimberly! :) I hope you zoa frag makes it.

can you get a pic of your refugium in the back? i'm interested in buying the submersible light you bought.

Everything looks good kimberly! :) I hope you zoa frag makes it.

can you get a pic of your refugium in the back? i'm interested in buying the submersible light you bought.

I'm having issues with my camera batteries but until I can take some pics, I can explain what how things are modded.

First I haven't upgraded the pump yet or widened the flow from chamber 1 to chamber 2. My heater is in chamber 1. In chamber 2 at the bottom is the little tray then on top of that is a bag of activated carbon, then my chaeto then my fuge light is down with the chaeto, then I have my drip tray on top and a section cut out near the top right corner for the fuge light cord to fit in (nothing neat or special - used wire cutters to snip the plastic) then I bought a small roll of filter padding that is blue on one side, white on another and I cut 2 squares of it - the size of my drip tray and stack them together right on top. I just throw those away every 2 weeks or so and cut new ones and replace them.

That's basically all that I have in my fuge. I never upgraded my pump yet - even though I bought one - because my baby clown has a hard time swimming against the current now and everything is doing fine so I'll probably wait to upgrade. I also bought a hydor flo nozzle and never upgraded that either.

Once I get more batteries for my camera, I'll take some pics of everything! :)

Oh and the zoa frag is looking really good! I was worried for a few days because part of the frag actually melted away and I thought it might spread but the other half looks really good so hopefully it holds up! fingerscrossed

I'm just having a few issues with some red slime algae - not exactly sure how to get rid of it besides siphoning it, but my snails won't touch it!

Kimberly, nass snails can help with cyano. They won't eat it, but they will help turnover your sandbed. :)

I have 2 small ones but they aren't doing a darn thing in my tank. Maybe when they get a little bigger hopefully fingerscrossed

I did upgrade my pump and put on my hydor flo about an hour ago and did a water change. Plus I siphoned my sandbed a good bit so hopefully that helps some. I really like the wavemaker - it works better than I thought it would and it doesn't bother my sandbed or corals either. :)

Okay, I haven't written in awhile - I've been pretty busy.

Couple updates on my tank - My orange ric is splitting so that's pretty exciting for me! I upgraded my pump and put the hydor flo in my tank but I never widened my divider between chamber 1 & 2 so I don't know if that's a bad thing but I'm still battling the red slime algae (it's pretty bad). Plus the flatworms in my tank are getting pretty bad so I'm dealing with that as well. I haven't added anything else to my tank either - I'm kinda broke because my cell phone failed on me so I had to go out and buy a new voyager that cost me an arm and a leg but I'm very surprised because it takes really good pictures:

orangericordiasplit.jpg

hammer.jpg

I've never had a cell phone that took really good pics before. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a flash.

Well more updates later. I wouldn't dare take a fts because you'd all gasp at my algae-covered sandbed. :P

Hi Kimberly, good to see you back, and wow great pics for being a camera phone. My Blackjack 2 has a 2.0 megapixel camera, but the pics it takes, suck! lol

For the cyano I can't remember, but did you try the lights out for 3 days thing with no feeding (if you are feeding anything)?? If not, then try that. If all fails, get some Blue Life Red Slime remover and see if that helps you out. You gotta siphon out as much of it as you can from out of the tank. Good luck!

Okay I'm excited. I looked at my tank this morning when the moonlights just turned off and my actinics came on and my large cluster of zoanthids weren't fully opened on the one side and low and behold, I saw 3 tiny long white things which I believe it's a baby brittle starfish! I don't think it's one of those worm things because of the motion of the legs and seeing 3 legs - all the same length (about 1inch each) I do believe that's what it might be. :D It's just hard to tell since he's inside the cluster of polyps.

Hi Kimberly, good to see you back, and wow great pics for being a camera phone. My Blackjack 2 has a 2.0 megapixel camera, but the pics it takes, suck! lol

For the cyano I can't remember, but did you try the lights out for 3 days thing with no feeding (if you are feeding anything)?? If not, then try that. If all fails, get some Blue Life Red Slime remover and see if that helps you out. You gotta siphon out as much of it as you can from out of the tank. Good luck!

Thanks Matt! Yeah, I haven't tried the light thing - I'll probably do that and see if it'll help. I'm not feeding my tank anymore because of the flatworms - they thrive on phytoplankton. All my corals are thriving so I'm happy! :D

Thanks Matt! Yeah, I haven't tried the light thing - I'll probably do that and see if it'll help. I'm not feeding my tank anymore because of the flatworms - they thrive on phytoplankton. All my corals are thriving so I'm happy! :D

Great to hear! Yeah, try the no lights for 3 days straight, and see if that helps. It can in most cases. But before doing that, siphon out as much cyano as you can, and then blow off any excess detrious in those areas after that. Then redirect your current flows towards the areas where it's at to get more water motion on the tank, then lights out for 3 days. If that doesn't help (give it a few days after the lights are back on) then perhaps try the Blue Life stuff... B)

Oh, and mini brittles are cool, I have several in my tank I always see around after lights out. Also have a few asterina stars as well that I'll see on the glass.

Okay, before I turn my lights out for three days, should I worry about my snails having enough algae to eat? One of my turbos ended up dying and i think it was because of my monster turbo eating all the algae he can in my tank. He even goes over the back wall and spends a day at a time in chamber 3 and eats algae back there. Right now I have the monster turbo, a smaller turbo, a margarita, and 2 tiny nass snails.

I took a trip to the lfs today and bought some of that chem-clear red slime/cyano remover and I'm kinda nervous to use it. It also says on the directions to use an airstone in the tank. Should I really do that? Or will it be okay. Are you supposed to have an airstone in your tank? :huh:

I also couldn't help myself and bought another zoa frag (i'm running out of spots to put them). It's pretty cool lookin - almost a mint green/turquoise color. Plus I got a scarlet hermit too. I'm watiting for the zoas to open up so I can get a picture. :)

Okay I'm VERY upset. :angry: I bought a beautiful new zoa frag yesterday and everything was good - it even opened up beautifully this morning, but when i got a closer look right smack in the middle was aiptasia! Now I don't know what to do. It's kinda small so I'm wondering if I should take the whole frag out (it's a small frag) and put it in a cup and try to cut it out or cut some of the polyps off the rock and throw the rest away that has the aiptasia right in the middle. I'm not sure what to do.

Picture is kinda crappy but i was in a hurry:

aiptasia2.jpg

I could easily take the frag out of the tank so should i dip it? or get that joes juice stuff?

I replied to your thread about the aiptasia. ;)

I haven't used the Chemi-Clean stuff, just Blue Life Red Slime remover, it doesn't require the use of an airstone. I dunno if I'd use it though as they can somewhat bring down your pH when using them. I'd say you should be fine without it, but I'm not sure to be honest.

As for algae, you should be fine for the lights out. :)

I noticed how you said you still use the drip tray with some filter floss on top? I did this for a while too, but I found that most of the water was just flowing around the floss and not through it. So, what I did was buy a 10x18 sheet of filter floss and used the drip tray as a template to cut rectangles out of it. I made them a tiny bit bigger than the drip tray, and then slid them in place. They hold there well and that way all of the water has to flow through them, which really adds to mechanical filtration. Just thought you might want to try this out...

I replied to your thread about the aiptasia. ;)

I haven't used the Chemi-Clean stuff, just Blue Life Red Slime remover, it doesn't require the use of an airstone. I dunno if I'd use it though as they can somewhat bring down your pH when using them. I'd say you should be fine without it, but I'm not sure to be honest.

As for algae, you should be fine for the lights out. :)

Thanks Matt! I ended up taking my frag out of the tank and putting it in a large measuring cup then picking the aiptasia off with a pair of tweezers before I read your reply :blush: I guess I shoulda been more patient. So now I guess I'll wait and see how well it worked by watching to see if it comes back. I'll just wait to secure the frag.

I'm kinda nervous to use the chemi-clean so I'll research it a little more before I try it. Maybe someone else has some experience with it (hopefully good).

Have you added your fuge light? And how is it working out? Does it put off alot of heat?

I added my fuge light finally about a month ago and it works really well. It puts out a little bit of heat but if I have it on a nightly cycle along with my moonlights, it keeps everything at a steady temperature.

I noticed how you said you still use the drip tray with some filter floss on top? I did this for a while too, but I found that most of the water was just flowing around the floss and not through it. So, what I did was buy a 10x18 sheet of filter floss and used the drip tray as a template to cut rectangles out of it. I made them a tiny bit bigger than the drip tray, and then slid them in place. They hold there well and that way all of the water has to flow through them, which really adds to mechanical filtration. Just thought you might want to try this out...

Actually I do the same thing - I guess it's like a sheet of filter padding, but I actually put two squares on top of the drip tray instead of one - it catches more debris that way :)

YEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAW!

I wrangled myself a bristle worm today - he sure did put up a fight!

lol. no not really but I did see a tiny baby bristle that I actually saw about a week ago crawling on the back wall, but by the time I got over to my tank he had went behind a rock. Well the little sucker made his appearance about an hour ago so I scrambled to get my tubing and a bucket and siphoned the little thing outta there!

He was only about 3/4 of an inch - if that - but I'm sure glad i got him so I wouldn't have problems later.

evilbristleworm.jpg

Oh and here's a picture of my new zoas - the ones I got the aiptasia out of yesterday. It's hard to tell the color, but it's a beautiful mint green/light turquoise color:

newzoas2.jpg

and here's my little mushroom that I finally glued down. He's not happy since i was messing with him:

mushroom2.jpg

Well that's it for now. :)

Putting the zoa in a cup to tweeze it off isn't bad, it's really only bad to do that IN the tank. as long as you rinsed it off thuroughly afterward, then you should be ok. It might grow back in the same spot though, so keep an eye on that.

As for the bristle worm, they aren't so bad. My fuge is bustling with tons of them. Almost non in my display these days however. I only remove if they are longer than say "3, lol! I found a "6+ one hitchhiking once in the rock of a frag I picked up. That one I quickly removed and got rid of. :P

I'm not sure you get what I mean... I put the filter floss pad in place of the drip tray, instead of the tray. I only use it for a template. That way, all of the water must go through the floss

I'm not sure you get what I mean... I put the filter floss pad in place of the drip tray, instead of the tray. I only use it for a template. That way, all of the water must go through the floss

oh okay - sorry! I get what you mean now! Hmmm. Maybe I'll try that and see how it works - thanks!

Putting the zoa in a cup to tweeze it off isn't bad, it's really only bad to do that IN the tank. as long as you rinsed it off thuroughly afterward, then you should be ok. It might grow back in the same spot though, so keep an eye on that.

As for the bristle worm, they aren't so bad. My fuge is bustling with tons of them. Almost non in my display these days however. I only remove if they are longer than say "3, lol! I found a "6+ one hitchhiking once in the rock of a frag I picked up. That one I quickly removed and got rid of. :P

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the bristles but I have a phobia of centipedes and a bristle worm looks pretty close to one. :P

lol. if I saw one in my tank that was 6", I'd probably pay someone to exterminate him. omgomgomg I get the chills looking at pics of those ugly things. :)

Archived