Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! My BioCube 8's diary! Starting from 0 again!

gavilaso

Hi all. I like the forums so far!!! I'm from P.R. and I start my BioCube yestaday (02/27/08) I took the water from another tank that has been up for about 7 to 8 month, i put 8lb of rock. I still haven add sand i think i will do it tomorrow. I have it on my Office, the temperature of the water is 68F when the ligth are of and 72F when they are ON. I'm planning of getting a heater. here is the picture of it...

The first picture is my second setup that i just did today and the second picture is the first setup i did with the rocks. What do you guys think? im looking for advices and opinions!

post-34921-1204224579_thumb.jpg

post-34921-1204224884_thumb.jpg

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The water bottle in the back is because i have a litter vistor that came with the rock that i'm trying to get it.. LOL

I took all this pic with my PPC, tomorrow im getting my cam so i can get better pictures....

PD is there is another way that i should use to post the pictures pls let me know!!!

I took all the pictures with my ppc, tomorrow i'm bringing my cam so i can get better pictures!

PD: is there any other way that i should us to post my pictures please let me know!!!

post-34921-1204225325_thumb.jpg

post-34921-1204225335_thumb.jpg

Ok I just add the 5lb of live sand. I also move the rock.. would do you guys think about the rock, should i leave it like that or put it the way it was... also i would like to know if a make salt water for future water change for how long i can keep that water in a bottle?

have in mind that im planing to add coral to it so i'm looking for a good way of setting the liverock so i can add the coral on it....post-34921-1204298635_thumb.jpg

post-34921-1204298480_thumb.jpg

post-34921-1204298493_thumb.jpg

I don't know if anyone want to help me or not because i haven't see any replys :( well for does experts out there, like i said early I add the live sand today arroun 7am: rigth know is 2pm and i check it with the hydrometer and i see that it is arround 1.027 should i wait to see if it goes down or should do a little water change with fresh water????

fishez4alivin
Ok I just add the 5lb of live sand. I also move the rock.. would do you guys think about the rock, should i leave it like that or put it the way it was... also i would like to know if a make salt water for future water change for how long i can keep that water in a bottle?

have in mind that im planing to add coral to it so i'm looking for a good way of setting the liverock so i can add the coral on it....post-34921-1204298635_thumb.jpg

IMO rockwork is the foundation so don't build it like a skyscraper, because a lot of coral will come on live rock, unless you are getting small frags on rubble, then thats one thing, but remember, we do this to grow the corals out, and as they reproduce and fill out,it will fill your tank faster than you think, and you will then need to decide what to cut/trade/sell/give away/flush etc.. I think a lot of people tweak out their aquascapes as they see more examples, hear of new ideas etc...thats what is cool about this hobby I'm sure I wasn't the only person who loaded 1.5# of LR per gallon, only to find themselves removing some of it out of the tank once the stocking began.

For you ppl out there that has the same biocube 8 is there any modification avaible for this biocube that i should think about it? like for more water flow, filter etc?

As far as mods go... I removed additional plastic from the overflow between the first and second chambers. It seemed to help. I also upgraded the standard pump to a MJ606 and added a Koralia Nano. That seems to give mine a good amount of flow without moving sand around. I plan on turning the second chamber in the back into a refugium. I had some led lights that are submersible that I am gonna put back there with some chaeto. There are some other threads with more mods for these things on them.

I know there is one where I guy is modding his to have a 70w HQI in it.

do you have any picture to see where exacly you are talking about? so should i change to a mj606 and buy the koralia nano? what about a test kit? wich one should i buy?

OK i'm in a web site looking for the koralia for the water rotation and i found the Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector that you attachet to the water pump.... so what should i do? wich one is better???

I don't care for the Hydor personally cuz it would stir up my sand at times which sends my pistol shrimp into a fury, the little bugger will fling sand everywhere. However, there are a lot people that really like them. I will try to take some pictures today to post of the overflow mod. There is nothing to it and several other people on here have done it.

Also, the MJ606 is just a suggestion. It will simply add more flow. If you decide to go with the Hydor you will need a stronger pump as you will lose some flow due to having it on there. The MJ606 would work for that although I have seen other people use different pumps.

I will try to write up what I did on my tank and post it on here when I have some time this weekend. I really like the tank a lot.

Phil121 i realy apreciate your time, Im going to buy this week the mj606 and the hydro flo.... i was reading on this forum that ppl have make the 2 chamber a refugion with chemi-pure, live rocks and cheanto... im thinkg about do it too.. what do you thinks... i have my bc8 in my office so lets see how it is tomorrow when get there.... i'm thinking in moving the LR in a more flat position so i can put coral on top... when i see you mod on the overflow i can do the same on my... i don't know if i should empty my bc8 before the mod or leave it like that....

I just got to my office and took some pictures...

Here is 1 feather duster that came with the rock I don't know the name of it so...post-34921-1204541957_thumb.jpg

Here is a Red Feather duster : post-34921-1204542176_thumb.jpg

And here another feather duster and some poli

post-34921-1204542375_thumb.jpg

I think i'm going to order the mj606, hydro flow and the Refractometer from Dr F&S. or you guys think i can get it from another place with a better price!!

More of the poly and feather:

post-34921-1204550204_thumb.jpg

I also move the LR and this is how it look from the rigth sidepost-34921-1204550382_thumb.jpg!

This is the fron side now.. what do you guys think.. wich of the LR stock i should keep?

post-34921-1204550487_thumb.jpg

I am actually switching back to a Hydor Flo attached with the mj606 pump and taking out the Koralia Nano. The Koralia just seemed to be too much flow.

Tank is looking good my friend. The worm looks like a bristle worm although it is hard to tell in the picture. Just do a search on those. There seems to be varying opinion on their usefulness but i tend to just remove them. The bristles are somewhat annoying when they get stuck in your fingers or arms.

Rock stack looks good as do the new corals.

Hey Phil, when you have the time please let me see the mod you did on the overflow so i can do it here LoL... i'm going to give it like 1 1/2 week more and i will add a little clown to see how it work.. i took the water from a excisting aquarium so i think it will be good for him..

Archived