inTank Media Baskets

My diary of a Biocube 8

Kimberly63

I got the same zoas as these:

xmallzoa2.jpg

but I don't know what they're called. Can you enlighten me on the subject?

Do you have a recent FTS? I'm curious about that too.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my clowns like to sleep in the front corner of my tank swimming face down in place ... pretty interesting, they also rarely leave the front of the tank, hopefully when i get a nem or some larger soft coral they will be interested in it :) but it is nice to always see them!

I got the same zoas as these:

xmallzoa2.jpg

but I don't know what they're called. Can you enlighten me on the subject?

Do you have a recent FTS? I'm curious about that too.

I have no idea what they are called, I just call them green :) I've seen something that looks similar to it called Eagle Eyes but I'm not sure if it's the same.

Here is an FTS I took today:

fts2-21-08.jpg

The pulsing xenia isn't staying there. I'm only keeping one frag of it and I'm cutting up the seashell they are on and giving the rest to my LFS for some store credit. Don't know exactly where I'm putting my frag - probably on the highest rock in the back or I might get one of those magnetic things and put it up on the glass on the left under the pump

my clowns like to sleep in the front corner of my tank swimming face down in place ... pretty interesting, they also rarely leave the front of the tank, hopefully when i get a nem or some larger soft coral they will be interested in it :) but it is nice to always see them!

It's weird how they do that! I would think he'd be more comfortable in the xenia but I guess not! :) I might add something else soon for him that he might like.

Very nice new additions...that larger zoa frag looks great. Of course the other ones are awesome as well but those would be my favorite of the group.

Great job so far...that is one SUPER clean tank. Get ready for it to never look like that again though :) In a good way. Coralline will start popping up on the glass and back wall shortly.

Very nice new additions...that larger zoa frag looks great. Of course the other ones are awesome as well but those would be my favorite of the group.

Great job so far...that is one SUPER clean tank. Get ready for it to never look like that again though :) In a good way. Coralline will start popping up on the glass and back wall shortly.

Thanks for the compliments! So far it's stayed clean but I figured it wouldn't last long. :) Honestly I don't really do much to keep it clean. Must be luck :P

I noticed a few days ago that I had flatworms in my tank :o so every other day I've been siphoning them out. They haven't explored my corals or anything so that's good. I also heard that they thrive off of phytoplankton so I haven't fed my tank at all for a while.

On another note, I don't think the purchase of the xenia was such a good idea. Every once in awhile, I'll find a little polyp in a crevice in the LR somewhere in my tank and I have no clue how it gets there. I'll remove it and then a week later I'll find one in another place. The newest polyp I found is so deep into a little crevice, that I cannot remove it so I guess it'll have to stay for now. -_-

My rocks are slowly getting covered in coraline - I'm pretty excited! but I have noticed that my sandbed is also getting what looks like coraline on the larger chunks and I don't really like it because it makes my sand look really dirty. I should have gotten a finer coarse sand.

I feel bad for my clown sleeping against the wall every night so I want to find him some sort of soft coral or something but what should I try?

Hey Phixion (what's your name anyway - I feel silly :P )

About that digital timer :) If I have the mode on AUTO it doesn't change the day outlets and night outlets automatically. I have to physically change the mode from OFF and ON everyday and I know that I shouldn't have to do that but I'm not sure what the problem is. :huh:

Hey Phixion (what's your name anyway - I feel silly :P )

About that digital timer :) If I have the mode on AUTO it doesn't change the day outlets and night outlets automatically. I have to physically change the mode from OFF and ON everyday and I know that I shouldn't have to do that but I'm not sure what the problem is. :huh:

Hmm, I've never had an issue with that, but sometimes it might take up to 24 hours (an entire on/off cycle) for it to start working I've heard. You can always try resetting the unit (should be in the instructions on how to do that) then reprogram from scratch and see if that fixes things.

Even though I have frogspawn and torch coral in my tank, my cinnamon clown insists on sleeping in the front corner of the tank with it's body pointed upwards at about a 75 degree angle, everynight!! Kinda fun and funny to watch, lol!

I'm Matt BTW. ;)

Hmm, I've never had an issue with that, but sometimes it might take up to 24 hours (an entire on/off cycle) for it to start working I've heard. You can always try resetting the unit (should be in the instructions on how to do that) then reprogram from scratch and see if that fixes things.

Even though I have frogspawn and torch coral in my tank, my cinnamon clown insists on sleeping in the front corner of the tank with it's body pointed upwards at about a 75 degree angle, everynight!! Kinda fun and funny to watch, lol!

I'm Matt BTW. ;)

Hi Matt - nice to meet ya! :D

yeah, I'm going to reset it today and see if that helps. Now with the frogspawn and torch, do you have to add calcium to your tank or do anything special with it?

Also, does either one of those sting anything? I think I heard that the torch does. I like frogspawn so I might try that so would it be okay by zoas?

Nice to meet ya' too Kimberly! :D

Both can sting actually, in fact I've heard many people say that in a coral fight, frogspawn usually won't lose. But you don't need to dose Ca for them though, not unless your Ca is low to begin with.

Nice to meet ya' too Kimberly! :D

Both can sting actually, in fact I've heard many people say that in a coral fight, frogspawn usually won't lose. But you don't need to dose Ca for them though, not unless your Ca is low to begin with.

Well Matt, I almost bought a small cluster of hammer-head coral tonight. The cluster was about an inch in diameter and at the end of a piece of tonga branch for $20 but I passed because the lfs guy told me that my clown would irritate it so I figured I'd wait. I did buy some other goodies though. :) I got 2 more snails because the snails that I have are doing a terrible job at keeping my tank clean, but the bad thing is that I told him to throw in a turbo and he gave me on that is almost 2 inches wide! He got it out of the top tank (I'm short so I didn't see him pick one out) and I saw it when I got home and almost had a heart attack! I'll let it take care of my algae then take him back :lol:. I got another small frag of zoas for $10, 2 mouth orange ric for $20 and a misc tiny green mushroom of some sort that was just sitting in the sand.

Lol wait till you see this snail - he looks like he could eat my clown :haha:

I'm jealous, your tank is looking so awesome. I have the same thing in mind for my clowns i am getting for my birthday in a few weeks. :D

I think I may go with a torch coral because it looks more like a anemone.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Well Matt, I almost bought a small cluster of hammer-head coral tonight. The cluster was about an inch in diameter and at the end of a piece of tonga branch for $20 but I passed because the lfs guy told me that my clown would irritate it so I figured I'd wait. I did buy some other goodies though. :) I got 2 more snails because the snails that I have are doing a terrible job at keeping my tank clean, but the bad thing is that I told him to throw in a turbo and he gave me on that is almost 2 inches wide! He got it out of the top tank (I'm short so I didn't see him pick one out) and I saw it when I got home and almost had a heart attack! I'll let it take care of my algae then take him back :lol:. I got another small frag of zoas for $10, 2 mouth orange ric for $20 and a misc tiny green mushroom of some sort that was just sitting in the sand.

Lol wait till you see this snail - he looks like he could eat my clown :haha:

Hammer of the right color (green with pink tips) is actually my fav coral between hammer, torch and frogspawn. :) Most LFSs give bad info, more than likely the hammer would have irritated your clown before the clown would irritate it. That is a pretty big snail, I've seen some the size of golfballs and even bigger at some LFSs around here, you must have to have like a 200g tank for them to graze, lol! :P Great pics though, I love the new ric!!

Very pretty- I love your orange ric, it contrasts nicely with it's rock.

What kind of camera are you using?

Ha! about 4 or 5 year old Kodak EasyShare CX7530 - Wal-mart special ;)

The ric can't stay on that rock unfortunately, because an evil pulsing xenia polyp decided to make a little home in the crevice of that rock and when it gets bigger, it will compete with the ric so I'm gonna go get some superglue and put it somewhere (just haven't figured it out yet). :)

I'm jealous, your tank is looking so awesome. I have the same thing in mind for my clowns i am getting for my birthday in a few weeks. :D

I think I may go with a torch coral because it looks more like a anemone.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Aw thanks :blush: Don't be jealous of my xenia though because it's all gone. I traded it in at the lfs because it was getting out of control and polyps were showing up all over my tank. I have one little polyp behind my orange ric so it'll grow and probably consume the rock. I also have a pretty green mushroom but I don't have a picture of it yet because it's set down in a crevice for now till I glue it to a rock piece because it keeps blowing around my tank. :lol: Pain in the neck trying to catch the little bugger. Oh and I'm not exactly sure what kind of lighting I have - stock lights in a biocube - can't remember the output.

Hammer of the right color (green with pink tips) is actually my fav coral between hammer, torch and frogspawn. :) Most LFSs give bad info, more than likely the hammer would have irritated your clown before the clown would irritate it. That is a pretty big snail, I've seen some the size of golfballs and even bigger at some LFSs around here, you must have to have like a 200g tank for them to graze, lol! :P Great pics though, I love the new ric!!

It was pretty - I think it was green with baby blue tips but I can't remember - the lighting was crappy so the colors didn't pop. It was $20 so I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. I asked him how long it would take to get large and he said it wouldn't get very big. (???) Heck if it was worth it, I'll pick it up tomorrow when I take my sick zoas and monster turbo back. :P

If it's still there, definitely get it. Hammer for $20 at an LFS is good, lol! I LOVE the blue tipped hammers, only seen a few of them ever though.

Oh yes, the ric could possibly eat the xenia for breakfast. I used to have rics that I'd feed whole mysis to! :o

If it's still there, definitely get it. Hammer for $20 at an LFS is good, lol! I LOVE the blue tipped hammers, only seen a few of them ever though.

Oh yes, the ric could possibly eat the xenia for breakfast. I used to have rics that I'd feed whole mysis to! :o

:eek: A ric eating some xenia? Wow! that'd be something to see! I figured the the xenia would kill off the ric.

I'll probably go to get that hammer and it'll be gone. yeah, I pay $10 for a diseased looking frag of zoas and it costs $20 for a hammer. Sometimes they price things so weird. They had a single mouth darker orange ric in the one tank for like $69 then a shipment came in and I got mine for $20. Doesn't seem to make any sense.

You got a deal on the ric, my closes LFS that's worth going to (a few miles away granted) sells ALL rics for no less than $25. Yumas run from $80 up to $120 there, it's rediculous sometimes. Yet I get 100+ polyp zoa colonies from there for $50. I din't understand it either.

Rics won't literally eat the xenia, lol! But they would most likely win a coral battle, though xenia is notorious for suffocating out corals.

Okay, I took my sick looking zoas back that I brought home last night:

sickzoa2.jpg

And boy I wasn't too happy when I called them this morning and told them the situation and they blamed the zoas being sick because I didn't know how to acclimate them and my water parameters had to be bad. The manager told me no, I couldn't return them and I told her how I felt and she said she would return them if I bring in samples of my water and if they test okay, they'd give me store credit. :angry: I wasn't the least bit happy because I was blamed for their condition. I took in a bag of my water, plus my test tubes of water that I tested right before I went in. They were pretty nice to me when I got there though which is good, because they put me in a bad mood. <_<

On a lighter note :happy:, since they got a shipment last night, I was able to have a nice pick over a large variety of zoas - mainly only 2 kinds but tons of frags to pick from. I got really nice orange ones with yellow skirts for an even exchange of my sick ones. It has a ton of polyps on it but they aren't all open yet.

Plus I got my hammer coral. (Matt, it is a pink-tipped - don't know why I thought it was blue). But I had a hard time picking between that and purple and green frogspawn. Both were really pretty.

I'm not sure what to do with my little green mushroom. It's not attached to a rock so it keeps rolling around my sandbed. How would I attach it to a rock? I heard not to directly apply super-glue to the flesh.

Okay, I'll have to post pics later because my batteries just went dead. Jeez. :)

Okay pics!

Here is my green mushroom that is just floating around in my tank. I don't really know how to attach it to a rock so I'm not sure what to do with it. It worked it's way out of a crevice on my LR this morning:

greenmushroom.jpg

My hammer coral. My clown will pass over it and eyed it up once but won't really go near it.

hammer.jpg

Here are my new zoas opening up. Some of the smaller polyps aren't in good shape but the rest of the polyps look promising:

orangeandyellowzoas.jpg

and here is my current fts:

newfts.jpg

Ahh, eagle eye zoas, good score there!! And the hammer is ALL pink, I used to have one just like that (you can see it in my pics gallery) but it died on me after a while. :( It was when I was new to the hobby though. And nice mushroom too!! For attaching it, you can use some super glue gel to attach it. It's preferable to do so out of the water though, to like a piece of L/R rubble. Super glue is completely reef safe as long as it's the cyanoacrylate based type. Super Glue brand, Krazy Glue, and Loc-Tite are all good brands of it. But make sure it's the gel type, the liquid won't work nearly as well. Good luck!! :)

Well, I had some sort of green plant-like thing growing on my LR and there were about 3 of them that were about an inch tall plus some polyps of some sort that were growing by them. Well I get up this morning and look at my tank and GONE. My monster turbo snail sucked them right off of my rock leaving a clean sparkling path.

I also wanted to take a trip to the lfs today and a snowstorm hit us so I was advised by several people not to leave my house. I've been thinking and thinking and I've decided that I want the frogspawn I saw at the lfs even though I'm broke. :)

I also saw that the rock that my purple rics came on has 3 feather dusters on it. The one has a feather about 1/4" diameter and the other 2 are very, very tiny - barely noticable. I had thought about burying the rock because it's so bulky but now I can't because of the feather dusters that come out the sides. Plus all the pods in my tank live on that rock for some reason and come in and out from under the ric. Wonder what's going on under there...

I still need some superglue for my mushroom yet. Oh and some shells for my snails because the one hermit keeps picking a fight with my smaller snails so if I keep forgetting, one of them might get killed.

Also, parts of my zoa frag that I got yesterday looks like it's melting away. Will the whole frag die or just that section?

That's all for now, I've been on here for hours, I'm so bored! I'm sitting here alone with my cats and have nothing to do but sit and stare at my tank.

Oh and Matt, I finally figured out why my timer wasn't working (my stupidity). I had the times all different. I didn't realize that each one was a different day of the week. lol. I also bought 2 extra timers - one for my fuge and one for my regular light so I can have it come on after the actinics. Since I have them all up and running, my tank as been maintaining a steady temperature today of 78.8 so I'm happy. :D

Good to hear you got the timer issue sorted out, Kimberly! :) Turbo snails are great, I should pick me up one or two, lol!!

Archived