Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My diary of a Biocube 8

Kimberly63

I'd like to say that I saw my first form of life when I got home late this evening (around midnight) I have my moonlights on now, and I sat and stared into the tank and low and behold, was a small caterpillar type thing, about as long as a tiny gnat or tiny black ant and it was kinda clear and didn't have any color. When I flicked on the light it looked just like a tiny little caterpillar or something. Wonder what it was? It'll probably grow huge and eat my future fish knowing my luck. :P

LOL! Hopefully, not. There can be such a versatility of life on live rock. Hitch hickers can be good, or evil little buggers such as a mantis shrimp. Hard to say what it was. Could have been just a copopod or possibly a small britle worm stirring up your sand bed, cleaning it, for you.

Best of luck!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! Hopefully, not. There can be such a versatility of life on live rock. Hitch hickers can be good, or evil little buggers such as a mantis shrimp. Hard to say what it was. Could have been just a copopod or possibly a small britle worm stirring up your sand bed, cleaning it, for you.

Best of luck!

Well, I haven't seen it since and I've been keeping my eye out for it again! :)

Great Tank!

Could you possibly tell me the inner dimensions of the BC 8? like Front to False Wall, Side to Side, and Floor to Top without the lid?

Thanks!

Great Tank!

Could you possibly tell me the inner dimensions of the BC 8? like Front to False Wall, Side to Side, and Floor to Top without the lid?

Thanks!

Front to false wall is around 9-9.5"

Side to side is around 12"

Top to floor is around 12"

I really like it but sometimes I wish I would have went with the 14g so I could have 2 fish easily without an overload, but I bought this tank to get my feet wet then next I'll probably go with something custom and around 15-20gal (if I have success in taking care of this one) :)

Okay I have a question about my future (far, far, future) livestock. Well, fish actually. I was curious if I could keep 2 clownfish in my tank. If I can't and I only get 1, would I be able to put it with another about a year down the road when I upgrade my tank?

Hey Kimberly, I just started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Just wanted to let you know my LR never showed any visible life so don't be discouraged if a lot doesn't happen. Once you get into it you really won't care what the LR came with. For me its all about corals and livestock, and eventually you will probably feel the same way. You are off to a great start, keep it up!

Can you tell me what light you went with for the fuge and how it's been working out? Thanks and the tank looks great!
I went with this light: http://www.discount-pumps.biz/pond-lights.htmI just ordered it yesterday so I'm not sure how well it's gonna work!
Hey Kimberly, I just started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Just wanted to let you know my LR never showed any visible life so don't be discouraged if a lot doesn't happen. Once you get into it you really won't care what the LR came with. For me its all about corals and livestock, and eventually you will probably feel the same way. You are off to a great start, keep it up!
Hey thanks! I know patience is the key but it seems like everything is on slow-motion! I figure this is a good time to read up on things and save money! :)
I went with this light: http://www.discount-pumps.biz/pond-lights.htmI just ordered it yesterday so I'm not sure how well it's gonna work!Hey thanks! I know patience is the key but it seems like everything is on slow-motion! I figure this is a good time to read up on things and save money! :)

Yeah, I got lucky because I was so busy the two weeks my tank way cycling that time went by faster than I expected. Waiting stinks I know! Hopefully it will save you money. Try and find people in your area who are into reefing, you may find some good deals/free stuff they are willing to give you. So far I've met some really nice people who have been more than willing to help me start up. Again, good luck!

I think you could keep a pair of clowns in the tank, but no other fish if you do. One would be best for that size, but you could get away with a pair I think...

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I want to get a mated pair of clowns but I'm not totally sure yet - I like gobys too - they make me laugh at how funny they look all perched in the sand staring at you! :)

I have my new pump - Mini-Jet 606 and my Hydor Flo that I haven't installed yet - I figured I'd wait until after my cycle. I just have no clue when I'll have it. My tank doesn't look any different except that the coraline turned from a nice minty-neon green color to white on my rocks. I figure I'll do my mods after my cycle and before I get my CUC. I'm not exactly sure how to replace the pump yet and hoping I can use the stock hose. I'm still waiting on my fuge light (plus all my other goodies).

Another thing too is that my tank looks kinda empty. I've been checking out a lot of people's biocubes on here and I'm starting to wonder whether I have enought LR in my tank. I think I have about 7lbs or so, but I'm not sure if fish would be happy or not with what I've got.

Oh - and just a question for anyone that might be reading this. At my LFS is this fish - and it's not just any fish, it looks like a miniature monster. This fish is dark, dark green, barely moves and has a film of algae growing on it, has it's mouth kinda gaping open with nub teeth, bumpy skin like a frog and has 4 legs with toenails. This thing is soooo ugly but extremely cool looking. It's $100 and I wasn't interested in buying it but the sign said Wartskin Wrangler and doing a google search, I cannot find any info on it. Has anyone seen anything like this before? It stands on it's legs but has fins and stuff and just puts it's hand on the glass and looks out. Lol. It's crazy looking. When it's not moving, it looks like an algae-covered rock. :lol: No, I'm not loopy - this thing does exist and I'll try to get a pic with my phone next time I'm in there.

**EDIT**

HAHA - never mind - it's a Wartskin Angler or a Frogfish. My oh my these things are UGLY!!!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anglersysfaqs.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprain/435150084/

I'm not exactly sure how to replace the pump yet and hoping I can use the stock hose.

I just replaced the stock pump in my BC8 with the Mini-Jet 606. It's a perfect fit, you can use the stock hose.

I gotta re-check the size of a BC8. I use an MJ606 for the ATO on my tank, so they seem so small and light duty to me. :P

Anglers are pretty cool fish despite how ugly they are. Sure they don't do much, but are quite aggressive fish and will eat up just about anything their size or smaller.

I just replaced the stock pump in my BC8 with the Mini-Jet 606. It's a perfect fit, you can use the stock hose.

Oh good - I was hoping to not have to search for more equipment! :P

I gotta re-check the size of a BC8. I use an MJ606 for the ATO on my tank, so they seem so small and light duty to me. :P

Anglers are pretty cool fish despite how ugly they are. Sure they don't do much, but are quite aggressive fish and will eat up just about anything their size or smaller.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if I should get something with a stronger flow because since I haven't installed this one yet, I could return it for something else. I hate the thought of upgrading, then upgrading again. :( Plus I heard good and bad things about the hydor flow so I haven't installed that either.

At the LFS, the angler there was very, very dark and looked like he was covered in algae. Plus the whole tank had a film of algae in it. I didn't know that they had brighter colors on them. There wasn't anything else in the tank except some tonga branches and he was in a 8g biocube.

Well I'm irritated because geocities.com is down and my images aren't showing up :angry: but on a lighter note, I ended up getting my refractometer and my fuge light today - YIPPEE!

Let me just say, that for $10 I wasn't expecting such a good quality submersible light. I was expecting something along the lines of an x-mas light size bulb with a thin cord. Well this light over-exceeded my expectations and as soon as geocities gets things going again, I'll post some pics!

Edit:

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

light1.jpg

light4.jpg

Also this little thing is very bright! After my tank cycles, I'll add it to my chamber along with chaeto.

Here is a link to it if anyone is interested:

http://www.discount-pumps.biz/pond-lights.html

Kimberly, http://www.photobucket.com Free pic hosting! ;)

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if I should get something with a stronger flow because since I haven't installed this one yet, I could return it for something else. I hate the thought of upgrading, then upgrading again. :( Plus I heard good and bad things about the hydor flow so I haven't installed that either.

At the LFS, the angler there was very, very dark and looked like he was covered in algae. Plus the whole tank had a film of algae in it. I didn't know that they had brighter colors on them. There wasn't anything else in the tank except some tonga branches and he was in a 8g biocube.

The flow from it should be fine. Mine pushes water about 4.5 feet up a tube into my tank, so the flow at the end isn't terribly impressive, but it works for me. As a return pump with a short travel, it should work out fine. :) Not sure if anyone has tried it, but the $5 super nano pumps sold at http://www.fragglereef.com are not only super small, but they push up to 250gph which is MORE than an MJ900 pump!! And less than half the size and cost! :o Just an idea if flow is your goal.

Those anglers (frogfish) come in various colors. Most are dark and unimpressive looking, but I've seen some redish ones before and of course there's bright yellow as well.

Kimberly, http://www.photobucket.com Free pic hosting! ;)

The flow from it should be fine. Mine pushes water about 4.5 feet up a tube into my tank, so the flow at the end isn't terribly impressive, but it works for me. As a return pump with a short travel, it should work out fine. :) Not sure if anyone has tried it, but the $5 super nano pumps sold at http://www.fragglereef.com are not only super small, but they push up to 250gph which is MORE than an MJ900 pump!! And less than half the size and cost! :o Just an idea if flow is your goal.

Those anglers (frogfish) come in various colors. Most are dark and unimpressive looking, but I've seen some redish ones before and of course there's bright yellow as well.

Yes, I think I do have a photobucket account (not sure if I've used it more than once) but back in the day when I did web work and graphics, I paid for a monthly subscription for webspace on geocities - mainly so I can put up a website of my portfolio work. I figure oh well, I'm still paying for it (pretty cheap) so I might as well use it! :)

Maybe I'll just stick with the pump then and see how it goes. And even if I do upgrade it later, it may come in handy for something else. Still not sure about the hydor flo. I'm debating whether or not to get a split Y lockline or whatever they are called so I can adjust the direction of flow. Oh well, I have some time to think about it :)

I went from a Hydor on my main return to a Y-locline, but only because my pump was really beyond the capability of the Hydor. They are rated up to 310gph, and my main return was 475... =X Once I upgrade my return to a 840gph pump, the Hydor wouldn't have worked with that anyways.

I went from a Hydor on my main return to a Y-locline, but only because my pump was really beyond the capability of the Hydor. They are rated up to 310gph, and my main return was 475... =X Once I upgrade my return to a 840gph pump, the Hydor wouldn't have worked with that anyways.

well, maybe I'll just use the hydor - it was pretty cheap anyways - around $11 (well, cheap compared to everything else) :P

Either way, it's been about a week now and my tank hasn't done anything and I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever cycle. I'm getting impatient - not that I have any money left to add anything to the tank after the cycles done, but still...I'm excited and anxious. :)

It's always like that, the waiting and anticipation of what you'll see next with it. Try out the Hydor, you might like how it works in the tank. :)

*Sigh*

It's been 7 or 8 days. Is my tank ever gonna cycle???

I still never tried out my refractometer. I feel so dumb but I'm not exactly sure how to calibrate it. I have to go get solution yet and I don't understand what to do once I get the solution. eh, I'll figure it out once I get the solution. Couldn't I use distilled water instead for now? I didn't even check the mail today - maybe my ph reader is in my box! I'll go check here in a lil bit.

Left my lights off all day yesterday in my tank and it dropped around 10 degrees. I pulled my heater out of chamber 1 and realized I had it on the lowest setting - around 60 degrees but my lights being on kept my tank at a steady 80 degrees all the time. When I get my livestock, I might not ever need my heater on.

kim hows the chaeto and light thing going? did you get a bottle of copepods? i just got a bio cube too lol

Well I bought chaeto when I first bought the tank and someone told me that chaeto will not survive initially because there is nothing for it to live off of yet until after my cycle so I took it back to the store. The light is good but I haven't put it in my tank yet until I get my chaeto. I figure I'll do it all at once when I install my new pump. The only things I have in the back now are my heater, the stock filter until I buy some purigen/chemi-pure bags, some filter floss and my stock pump. I decided to go against putting LR in the back.

I didn't get a bottle of copepods yet because I didn't know you could do that. Would they survive a cycle? What do they do for your tank?

Archived