Cultivated Reef

My diary of a Biocube 8

Kimberly63

Not to chime in late but was that fish store you went to by squirrel hill?

Actually no, I'm actually 45 minutes away from downtown Pittsburgh, and I actually didn't know there was a fish store in Squirrel Hill, but I go to Elmer's Aquarium in Monroeville. It's about 25min away from me and they have nice stuff there. What's the name of the place you're talking about?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yesterday I spent more money on some things at the LFS - about $65. I got a nice digital thermometer - it was a little pricey - $21 - but it's pretty nice. It also does outside temp too. I bought a box of activated carbon sacks that I'm going to put into my chamber 2 under the chaeto when I do my mods. I also bought a digital power center by coralife that has 2 daytime and 2 nightime outlets and I feel it was a bargain at $30 :) I'm kinda nervous to take it out of the box because it looks so difficult to use!

I calibrated my refractometer and tested my salinity which was low at 1.021 so I added some SW and I'll test again in a little bit after it mixes. I use the natural ocean water so it's a little easier than mixing it right now till I get the hang of things. Once I get my salinity up, I'll test it against my hydrometer and see the difference. My temp is a little low - which I was shocked because my floating thermometer read about 79 degrees and my digital one reads 77.2 so I turned on my heater and I'll keep an eye on it. I'm not sure if it's a big deal since there is nothing living in it yet. Just kinda shocked at the differences in temperature. I also noticed on my one piece of LR are 2 little green plant looking things growing which I can't get a picture of, but I've been watching them grow. Not sure what they are, but looks harmless.

Just a question, once I get my CUC, how should I adjust them to the water? I heard the drip method is better but how do you do that?

Allow water to drip into the bag you get them in for about 30 mins (I never do longer than 30 minutes with anything I drip acclimate which is only fish and clams). Once you drip for 30 minutes, then put them in the tank. :) Good luck!

Allow water to drip into the bag you get them in for about 30 mins (I never do longer than 30 minutes with anything I drip acclimate which is only fish and clams). Once you drip for 30 minutes, then put them in the tank. :) Good luck!

Thanks! I'm glad I can count on you for your help! What is your name anyway? I feel a little silly calling you Phixion. :blush:

Well, I went to a lfs today so I could pick up some snails and hermits for my tank. The roads were kinda slippy but I had fish on the brain and I didn't care. Well it takes me a little over 20 min to get there and as soon as I pull in the parking lot, I noticed that I forgot my debit card at my computer because I paid a bill online this morning(stupid me). I had $12 in my purse so I figured what the heck, I could buy a snail or two anyway (I wasn't leaving empty handed). So I go in and I'm looking around and I asked if they had any blue-leg hermits and the guy says he's out of hermits because one of the urchins ate them all. :( so I ask what kind of snails they had available, if they had nassirus or ceriths and he said he had turbos and margaritas. I know that turbos can bull-doze through stuff but I couldn't remember hearing anything bad about margaritas so I got one of each. They had 2 emerald crabs that cought my eye so I asked about them and he said they clip softies. I thought I heard from others on here that emeralds were reef safe but nonetheless I didn't get one until I came home and did some research. Both snails cost me around $7 so they are floating in my tank right now. I tried to drip-acclimate them but I can't figure out how to do it right. I bought some tubing and put several knots in it but the drip flow still seems like a lot so I've been slowly adding tank water in their bags with a pipette.

snail3.jpg

snail2.jpg

snail1.jpg

snail4.jpg

I ALMOST bought my little clown goby that I've been wanting and for under $6 it seems like a bargain especially with several to choose from but I didn't. I wanted to see if I could keep snails living first. :P

Also, I mentioned earlier about a green plant-like growth on my rock. Does anyone know what it is?

growth.jpg

Oh goodness. I hate it when that happens. I was picking up a few snails today for my tank & there's this IDIOT who was lecturing these adults about how they need to throw lots of fish, snails, inverts and such into their non cycled tank then add lots of copper to start the cycle and I was like ........ :o & the store owner was nodding his head. Yuck

He had to have been joking. Or on crack. Its hard to believe a business would in all honesty give this kind of advice. They will not be in business long.

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do. I kinda tried to get his opinion on that too, but my concern was about them getting enough to eat because I haven't had any algae at all in my tank yet and he was like "well you'll have to feed them" I'm thinking - oh yeah, feed some snails. Lol. Sounded so dumb to me.

They had about a dozen or so 20 gallon tanks with saltwater fish in them and had some beauties that my favored, larger LFS didn't have. I saw a little clown goby that just tugged at my heart when I saw him. :happy: He had the cutest rosy little cheeks. lol

Your size can really only handle 1 fish unless you are really careful. You also want a "hardy" fish. Try a 3 stripped damsel, you will not want any more. 1 he is so aggressive he would torment any other fish you put in there, 2 he can handle most any reasonable water condition you throw at him.

Your size can really only handle 1 fish unless you are really careful. You also want a "hardy" fish. Try a 3 stripped damsel, you will not want any more. 1 he is so aggressive he would torment any other fish you put in there, 2 he can handle most any reasonable water condition you throw at him.

Yeah that's what I figured. I still need some time to decide :)

Alright Phixion, where are you when I need advice?? :D j/k!

Anyways, I just got back from the lfs and I got 2 tiny blue-legged hermits, 2 nassirus snails, a little chunk of chaeto that they gave me for free, 2 zoa nice zoa frags, a bottle of phytoplankton and an algae scraper - all for about $45. The one zoa frag has about 8 heads on it - I got it for $10 and another with about 15 or so heads for $15. I think the larger one has different kinds on the frag but I'm not sure yet. Oh boy I'm so excited! I'm drip acclimating them along with my hermits now so I'll post pics when I have a chance! :happydance:

I came down with a nasty flu this past weekend! :( I'm all better now though and here again, lol!

Ok, let's see... Sounds like you made out no to bad at the LFS today, so that's always a plus. :) Zoas and most corals you really don't need to acclimate beyond floating them in their bags for temperature matching, then just placing them in the tank after 15 or so minutes of that. I only dripp acclimate 2 things, clams and fish and I never drip for more than 30 minutes. I've never lost a single polyp of anything with this method and everything almost always opens up right away too. Definitely can't wait to see pics of everything once it's all settled in! :)

I came down with a nasty flu this past weekend! :( I'm all better now though and here again, lol!

Ok, let's see... Sounds like you made out no to bad at the LFS today, so that's always a plus. :) Zoas and most corals you really don't need to acclimate beyond floating them in their bags for temperature matching, then just placing them in the tank after 15 or so minutes of that. I only dripp acclimate 2 things, clams and fish and I never drip for more than 30 minutes. I've never lost a single polyp of anything with this method and everything almost always opens up right away too. Definitely can't wait to see pics of everything once it's all settled in! :)

I'm glad you're feeling better! Everyone I know is or was sick! :(

I figured I wouldn't have to drip acclimate the zoas, but I was nervous so I thought I'd be extra careful! I put both frags in and they are slowly coming out! I have the actinics on so they don't get any light shock (read that somewhere) I tried to count the heads on both frags - the smaller one has about a dozen or more and the larger one has at least 30-35. Everything is looking really good! I wish I had a better camera to take good closeup shots! As soon as the polyps are all open I'll take some pics and post them! :D

Sounds good Kimberly! :) Zoas can be picky. Some will open right away, others will take a day or two... Just all depends how stressed they are, water parameters and a few other factors. Good luck!!

Okay, I'm kinda upset. Something is wrong with my digital camera and I went out and bought new batteries and even when I charge them, my camera still acts like it's dead. *sigh* I got about 10 frags of pulsing xenia yesterday for like $20 so I think I got a good deal, but I didn't realize how much it grows so I'm thinking about breaking up the rock it's on and trading it in to my lfs for some other things or store credit. All of my stuff is doing wonderful! All my zoas are open and my xenia looks pretty happy! I think one of my nassirus passed away because as soon as I put both in my tank they burried themselves in the sand and only one is out and about doing it's thing and the other one is MIA. :( Everything else is happy though!

I tried to figure out how to use my digital timer and I haven't even attempted it yet. I'm not sure where to start! (Maybe Phixion can give me some tips because I think he had the same one :P ) I also got my digital pH meter in the mail but when I got it, I opened the package and everything was soaked in buffer solution. So the seller is sending me new solution and I'm going to see if the thing works. The meter itself was wrapped separately so none of the solution got to it. :)

Hopefully my camera is okay and the problem is just the batteries or maybe the charger so I can get some more pics up!

Let me answer for the camera first since I experienced similar when I upgraded to a new/better camera. Some of the newer ones (like the Canon S1-5 IS models) require more powerful batteries, especially concerning rechargables. Make sure you get the most powerful ones you can, I get the Energizer ones rated at 2500mhA, I had 2100 and 2300mhA ones respectively, and even with the 2300's at full charge, the camera would still tell me that the batteries were dead and to replace them. I also have experience with the new Sanyo brand Eneloop rechargeable batteries which DID work good with my camera. Many online places should sell them (like Amazon) as well as Costco which is where I got mine from. They are supposedly the ultimate rechargeable in that they will retain 85% of their capacity after a year and 75% after 2 years, where most rechargeables as I've experienced will lose but all of their capacity after a year or so. They are rated up to 3000mhA but say they are really between 2000 and 3000...

Nass snail... I'm willing to be BOTH are fine. My nass snails spend 90-95% of the time buried in the sand. In fact the ONLY time I ever see them is when I feed my tank, because you know that snork on their head wakes them up to se "FOOD is in the tank!?!" lol! :P I have 4 and once thought I was only down to 2, but after a tank feed they all surfaced for feeding time. Frankly they are a pretty useless snail IMO, lol. Good sand sifters, that is when they are actually awake and moving. Tis life though.

I'd be more than glad to help you out with the digital timer. Just let me know what with it you need help with! :)

Let me answer for the camera first since I experienced similar when I upgraded to a new/better camera. Some of the newer ones (like the Canon S1-5 IS models) require more powerful batteries, especially concerning rechargables. Make sure you get the most powerful ones you can, I get the Energizer ones rated at 2500mhA, I had 2100 and 2300mhA ones respectively, and even with the 2300's at full charge, the camera would still tell me that the batteries were dead and to replace them. I also have experience with the new Sanyo brand Eneloop rechargeable batteries which DID work good with my camera. Many online places should sell them (like Amazon) as well as Costco which is where I got mine from. They are supposedly the ultimate rechargeable in that they will retain 85% of their capacity after a year and 75% after 2 years, where most rechargeables as I've experienced will lose but all of their capacity after a year or so. They are rated up to 3000mhA but say they are really between 2000 and 3000...

Nass snail... I'm willing to be BOTH are fine. My nass snails spend 90-95% of the time buried in the sand. In fact the ONLY time I ever see them is when I feed my tank, because you know that snork on their head wakes them up to se "FOOD is in the tank!?!" lol! :P I have 4 and once thought I was only down to 2, but after a tank feed they all surfaced for feeding time. Frankly they are a pretty useless snail IMO, lol. Good sand sifters, that is when they are actually awake and moving. Tis life though.

I'd be more than glad to help you out with the digital timer. Just let me know what with it you need help with! :)

Well, the camera has served me well, but I was thinking on maybe upgrading when I get my income tax (if I get anything back) I even bought batteries that were kodak brand for digital cameras and they just don't seem like enough power. :( jeez.

Actually last night after I posted about my snails the one that was MIA suddenly appeared with the other one and now they're both hiding somewhere. :)

I tried to figure out my timer a little this morning. This is the timer I have. What I can't understand is that there are 2 daytime outlets and 2 night outlets and 7 timer settings. So when I go on to another timer setting under Program it doesn't say to which outlet the timer is being applied to. So I have no idea. and since I did something wrong and didn't set up the fuge light last night (which keeps the tank temperature up) my tank was 75 degrees when I checked this morning :scarry:omgomgomg Lol. you actually wouldn't know it though because everything looked so happy in my tank - all my zoas are open and my xenias are pulsing! :lol: It's the coolest thing! But I was shocked because it looks like they've grown 1/4 of an inch since I got them.

**Edit**

Just a question: When I got my xenia, a frag of it came off of the rock when the guy at the lfs was getting it out of the tank and it was floating in my bag so when I came home, I shoved it in a hole in one of my larger rocks. Well, I got scared because I didn't want it to take over this rock so I tried to get it out this evening and I think I hurt it because it secreted this stringy substance into the water. Should I do a partial water change or anything? I'm nervous that it might hurt something else in my tank.

That's the SAME digital power center I have. B)

Ok, any ON setting means that the yellow "Daytime" outlets are on, and OFF settings means that the blue "Night time" outlets are powered and the yellows are off. Hope that isn't too confusing, lol! The multiple timers (the 7 you can program) is for if you use the timer as like a wavemaker or something. But with lights you should just set an "ON" time and "off" time for the first program and then leave the rest unset. Otherwise you might have your lights going on and off at random times through the day.

As for the xenia, a W/C wouldn't hurt, next time if you can just siphon or turkey baste out the stringy stuff. Good luck Kimberly! :)

That's the SAME digital power center I have. B)

Ok, any ON setting means that the yellow "Daytime" outlets are on, and OFF settings means that the blue "Night time" outlets are powered and the yellows are off. Hope that isn't too confusing, lol! The multiple timers (the 7 you can program) is for if you use the timer as like a wavemaker or something. But with lights you should just set an "ON" time and "off" time for the first program and then leave the rest unset. Otherwise you might have your lights going on and off at random times through the day.

As for the xenia, a W/C wouldn't hurt, next time if you can just siphon or turkey baste out the stringy stuff. Good luck Kimberly! :)

Okay, so I have to change the mode from ON to OFF whenever I want the nightime outlets on and the daytime off? And how do I get the two daytime outlets to work at different times? or can I even do that? like the actinics come on at 9 then the daylights come on at noon? Lol. I feel like such a dummy with this thing thinking "Jeez, it can't be that hard! What's wrong with me!?" :rolleyes:

Well, I thought about doing a water change today. How should I add the water? It's ocean water in the jug from the lfs. Should I heat it up or just add a few cups here and there?

Oh! and I'm so excited I went and picked out a baby clownfish yesterday! Almost got a goby but I fell in love with this guy. I think he's trying to host my mag-float! :lol:

Well, FINALLY I got my pics off of my camera and was able to snap a few new shots! It was the batteries that didn't have enough power to keep my camera on!

Here is me trying to drip acclimate my zoas and hermit crabs:

drip.jpg

2 blue-legged hermit crabs (not good pics):

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

My snails (can't find my smaller snails to take a pic):

dozer.jpg

margarita.jpg

When I first put my zoas in the tank, they were all shut:

zoaunopen.jpg

My little zoa:

xmallzoa2.jpg

My larger zoas:

bigzoa.jpg

Zoas under moonlights (ooooh ahhhh):

moonzoas.jpg

Xenia first day home:

xenia.jpg

Xenia 2 days later - Look at size difference!:

xenia2.jpg

My beautiful purple rics (I couldn't help myself yesterday)

purplerics.jpg

My new clown trying to host the mag-float :)

clown.jpg

Well that's all I have in my tank for now. I'm going to wait awhile and see how everything does before adding anything else. :P

Great pics, Kimberly! :)

For the timer, you can't have each yellow work seperately unfortunately. Just the yellow is on when the blue is off and vice versa. I'd suggest doing what I did though with the timer. Set up the yellow to be ON for the interval you want the actinics to be on. Then plug your actinics into one of the yellow outlets, and plug another timer to the other yellow outlet. That timer you'll want to set to the interval you want your daylights to be on. That way it has power when you need it to, but it's individually controllable. Hope that helps!! B)

Great pics, Kimberly! :)

For the timer, you can't have each yellow work seperately unfortunately. Just the yellow is on when the blue is off and vice versa. I'd suggest doing what I did though with the timer. Set up the yellow to be ON for the interval you want the actinics to be on. Then plug your actinics into one of the yellow outlets, and plug another timer to the other yellow outlet. That timer you'll want to set to the interval you want your daylights to be on. That way it has power when you need it to, but it's individually controllable. Hope that helps!! B)

Yeah, that's what I'll probably do then. Unfortunately, I might need 2 extra timers because my fuge light is so wide that I can't have something plugged in next to it and normally I would just put it into any socket but I keep forgetting to plug it in at night and the tank is too hot to run during the day.

And thanks Phixion! Everything is doing wonderful in my tank so far!

I did my first water change the other day and I was heating the water in a bucket with a large aquarium heater and stupid me took it out of the water for one reason or another without unplugging it and yeah, my nice large heater is no more -_-

On another note, everything is doing extremely well. My pH is at 8.0-8.2, and everything else is at 0. I'm just waiting now for what's left over of the brown algae to go away from my sandbed. My snails are being pretty lazy it seems like and not doing much cleaning - not sure if I should get another one or not. Also my clown is eating very well! I'm feeding him the marine flakes and he just loves them. I'm planning on feeding him every 3 days. He also likes to sleep facing down with his belly against the back wall for some reason. He's really small so I think he has trouble fighting the flow in the tank so he only stays in 2 places and never comes to the front of the tank unless I have the pump off. I'm still using the stock pump so I'm hoping as he gets bigger, he'll be able to swim through the tank better. He's also eating little critters off of the glass and back wall - it's pretty interesting to watch him. :)

Archived