Cultivated Reef

My diary of a Biocube 8

Kimberly63

Okay-today I finally decided to use the Chemiclean in my tank. The red slime algae isn't getting any better and I've tried everything. Plus my large turbo has officially ate most of my chaeto from going into the back chambers <_< and I have a quarter size amount left and the light wasn't reaching it very good in my back chamber, so I cut little slits in a small ziplock baggy and put what chaeto I had left inside- the slits were for water flow- and it floats next to the fuge light. so hopefully when I get a nice chunk of it, it'll stay closer to the top of the chamber above the activated carbon bags. I'll keep it in the bag until it gets big enough.

chaeto.jpg

For the Chemiclean, I had to remove the activated carbon from my tank for at least 24hrs according to directions and it said to use 1 level scoop per 10 gallons so I used half of a scoop and mixed it with about a cup of tank water then poured it into chamber 3 with the pump. So far, so good. Nothing bad has happened fingerscrossed It says I need to do a 20% water change 48hrs after using it so I'll do that friday evening.

lol. here is a pic about 4hrs after I put the chemiclean in my tank. This is just one spot of it and there is probably 3 bad spots in the whole tank. I can kinda tell that it's slowly starting to go away but I might not notice a big difference till tomorrow.

redalgae.jpg

Also- I called an lfs that I go to every once in awhile, and asked if they had any boxer crabs (pom-poms) and he said no, but he was about to put in an order to a new supplier and said he'd order one and my cost would be $13. I told him to go ahead and order it and he called back and said it would be there tomorrow. Now I'm a little nervous because I hope the Chemiclean doesn't have any affect on it or it's little nems. :scarry:

The box says it's safe for inverts but I'm still a little nervous.

I'm so excited to get my little guy though! The lfs I usually go to had one about a month ago but it didn't have any anemones so I didn't get it. I'll make sure I post lots of pics! :D:happydance:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so I took a picture of my red algae carpet last night right after I used Chemiclean, and so I'm gonna post before and after pics. :)

Before:

redalgae.jpg

After:

redalgaeafter.jpg

The red algae is slowly going away! Now I'll have to post a fts again! :)

Okay-I just went and got my pom-pom crab today! He only cost me $13 and he had both his anemones! He acclimated well and now he claimed a little cave in one of my LRs:

Here he's waving "hi"

pompom.jpg

His little cave:

pompom2.jpg

pompom3.jpg

pompom4.jpg

:lol: such a cute little bugger.

I love it.. i don't know if i should get one or a esmeral carp... what camera are you using?

I'm using the camera on my LG Voyager cellphone. It actually has good picture quality. I almost bought an emerald crab before, but I've been waiting for one of these pom-poms to come available and didn't know if they'd get along.

Pom poms are cool crabs!

Yeah, I found out that they're actually called boxer crabs and now I know why-every time I walk past the tank he backs into a corner and puts his little fists up like he's got boxing gloves on! Cracks me up. :lol:

Went to the lfs again yesterday - I'm looking for a small piece of frogspawn to put in my tank and they had a huge 4-5 head piece for about $100 and that definately wasn't gonna work in my little nano. I ended up only getting a single small yuma mushroom that wasn't mounted for $10. I can't exactly say the color because it looks like it's a bunch of different colors but all the colors are really light-almost pastel. I was gonna super glue it to a piece of LR but for some reason Loc-tite (or whatever) superglue gel dries up to where I can't use it again unless I cut the bottle and it's just a pain in the neck.

Yuma with some zoa polyps that need mounted:

yuma.jpg

I'm saving some money because I'm going to a frag-swap in Ohio on April 13th and I'm so excited! This will be my first one and I don't have anything to trade but I'm gonna see what I can buy. :) Although, I think I'd like to try fragging some of my stuff but I'm too chicken to actually cut anything. I have a hard time touching anything in my tank.

My pom-pom is doing very well-he isn't shy whatsoever and is all over my tank doing his thing. He kinda freaks me out because he looks, walks, and climbs like a spider. lol. I wasn't expecting that. Oh, and I think both of my blue-leg hermits are dead (RIP).

And on a good note, all the red slime algae is officially gone! :)

love the pom pom crab!

Thanks! he's great in my tank - although it seems like he is always hiding from my scarlet hermit. :) I'm glad I asked the lfs to order me one because it only took a day to get in and a lot cheaper than ordering online +shipping. I just hope his little nems do good under my stock lighting :scarry:

hey what is new?! long time no hear from you !!

lol - sorry! I've been a little busy this past week. Your tank is coming along very nicely!

Well, I figured I could post a few fts pics since the red-slime is no more :)

Haven't added anything new lately except the pom-pom but I'm saving money for the frag swap in 2 weeks.

2fts_03_30_08.jpg

Hey welcome Back!!! LoL it is looking realy nices!!!!! I add my first flowerpot.. I'm going to start add more stuff later on!!!! :)

Hey welcome Back!!! LoL it is looking realy nices!!!!! I add my first flowerpot.. I'm going to start add more stuff later on!!!! :)

I saw it! It's very beautiful.

Well for the past week or so my little colony I just recently got from the lfs has been slowly looking worse and worse. There was no fungus present and no critters so I thought well there's not much I could do except keep an eye on it. Well I had the colony in a little crevice without glue so it could be removed if needed and a hermit flipped it out onto the sandbed this morning and looking at it, I figured I would put it in my soap dish and keep a closer observation on it. Upon removal and a close inspection I found a tiny nudi - maybe 2mm long under one of the polyps.

Great now what?

So I remember that Weetabix always says to do an iodine dip but I'm 35-40 min away from an lfs and I put the zoas in a measuring cup in the water until I figure out what I'm going to do. I heard I'm supposed to use Lugols iodine but I don't know where to get that so Matt and Smurf told me to do a freshwater dip.

I put the zoas in freshwater for a little over 2 minutes and it was quite interesting because as soon as they hit the water - about half a dozen pods flew off and were on their backs twitching. I successfully got the little nudi off then put the colony back in a cup of tank water. But not only did I get the nudi but some sort of sponge-like thing that was in there too. When I put the colony back in the cup of tank water, you would not believe it but dozens and dozens of baby bristle worms came out and were slithering around in the bottom of the cup. I'm thinking for crying out loud - anything else in there??? So I'm sitting there siphoning out these worms with a turkey baster and I'm like - heck with this so I split off the colony and took a small portion of them off to put back in my tank and got rid of the rest.

*sigh* what a morning. These zoas were nothing but trouble since I bought them - aiptasia, nudi, sponge, and home to millions of bristleworms. :wacko: I don't know if the few polyps I saved are gonna make it - they look terrible.

Gosh I am so dumb.

My purple ricordea is on a huge brick of a rock and seems to take up 1/4 of my free sandbed so I though "hmmmm, let me just chisel the rock away with a screw driver and a hammer" which was going fine and dandy until I was pulling on the little piece of rock that came loose from the huge rock directly behind the 2 heads and I pulled too hard with one of the skirts still attached to the big rock and *rip* - a huge tear into the skirt.

I just about died not knowing what the heck to do! It's sliming like crazy and I'm dipping it in and out of the water it was in to get most of the slime off and I put it in it's own cup in the tank.

hurt_ricordea.jpg

I'm pretty upset right now. :tears::scarry::tears:

Okay, peeps from the coral forum said it should be okay, but I should probably go ahead and cut it the rest of the way but I don't have the guts to do it. Yes, I'm a sissy.

If you just cut the skirt, then it should be ok. I did hear of someone ripping one in half once, and both halfs grew back like champs! I knew this works for mushrooms, but usually ricordia aren't so happy about that. This is definitely a good time to have Lugol's handy. ;) Good luck Kimberly! :)

Lol. Yeah, never did get to buy the Lugol's yet. Didn't think I'd have an emergency so soon after the zoa incident. I did end up cutting it with a pair of meat scissors and I cringed and I'm still cringing from the sound of the cutting. I'm such a baby. But I did it!

cut_ricordea.jpg

My fish was excited too.

Okay I haven't posted in awhile so I figured I'd post some updates.

First, my red-slime algae is coming back. <_< I blame it on the distilled water I've been buying at the grocery store so I need a suggestion on where to get a good deal on a RO/DI unit and could I get the 2 canister units because they are cheaper or what all do I need? I also want to start mixing my own water because I'm paying $17 for right under 5 gallons - which is starting to get pretty expensive. :bling:

My piece of ricordea I cut is doing great! I'm waiting for it to completely heal and grow a mouth.

My pom-pom crab molted today - I wasn't sure if it was a molting or he died so I kinda cut the molting and it was hollow but I can't seem to find him in any of his favorite hiding spots so just curious where he is... :huh:

I'm going to the Ohio frag swap this sunday and I'm so friggin excited!! :happydance: I tried to get one of my friends to go with me but she really isn't into reefing and she'd be bored out of her mind. Its about 4hr drive to the swap from here so it'll be a looooong day and it would probably be torture for someone who has no interest. I have another friend that would have went but she works weekends so I might be goin by myself. I have a couple zoa frags I'm gonna swap but other than that I'm goin to get stuff to stock my tank. :) I've never been to a swap before so I don't really know what to bring besides a chair, bags or containers, cooler, towels and money. There's a bar there so I won't need to bring beer.

Yay! Only a few more days!

Archived