Cultivated Reef

Nanoty's 40 breeder.......

nanoty

carpet anems are insane!!! i especially like the lime green one i saw a while back!!! looked like the lime in my corona right now :D

Yeah, been looking at blues.

Time to shop for a new wife ! ;) Sorry for the gbta debacle ! If you are being lazy on your water changes you might want to reconsider an anenome anyways Ty. "Great scape" ! Ok part of the Great scape club now ! :)

Yeah, she is pretty understanding about my tanks and even participates sometimes but she is the voice of reason in our house. Your right about the WCs and anemones. I am getting better, lol.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my son is starting to pull up on things and worst than that, learing how to open doors. Recently he began to get into my aquarium stand and is really good at smashing and pinching his fingers in the door. Also I knew it was a matter of time before objects and food began to find their way into my sump. The way my stand is set up I did not want to see a lock from the outside so off to the internet I went. I ended up finding these nifty magnet locks on some child safety site ( I can dig up a link if needed) and decided to give them a try.

I didn't get any pics of the actual install (needed my hands) but here is how it looks and works.

I had resigned to putting one of my game chairs in front of the cabinet. Unfortunately even though he cannot walk yet he is a proficient climber and I would catching him on top of it jacking with my canopy.

IMG_7604.jpg

Here are my stand doors, I did not want to see the lock.

IMG_7612.jpg

The striker mounts to the stand itself. The other door of the stand is held closed by this door so locking one would essentially lock both.

IMG_7614.jpg

The actual lock mounts to the door and automatically locks when the door closes (there is a lockout to stop it from auto locking should you want to).

IMG_7615.jpg

When you put the supplied magnet to the outside of the door it "unlocks" the latch.

IMG_7617.jpg

So all I have to do to unlock my door is this.

IMG_7620.jpg

I am very pleased with how it came out and I know that $12 now can stop a major disaster should my son decide that the fishies need some OJ. The install was straight forward with a small hole needing to be drilled alone with 6 screws total.

how is the perc doing with the blacks?

Check out my thread in the fish section. For a while one of them was kicking his ass. Like knocking him out of the water when it was feeding time. Now it looks like one of them is trying to pair with him. Very odd.

Thanks for stopping by Ty. Your child is adorable! The aquarium looks big, and he looks bigger!

Thanks. It's no Elos but I do what I can.

Tank is looking awesome man!! The coraline is rocking. I'm going to have to build one now for our bedroom.

Steve

Thanks man. Yeah the coralline is taking off, more on one side because the right side bulb was out for a while. I still love this size tank.

On another note, I am working on aquiring a Velocity T4 pump for my closed loop.

Nice child proof stand... I was going to do the electric fence method when I have kids.

That was actually my next option. All they have to do is grab it once or twice and then you can turn it off when they learn.

OK, I gotta ask....what/who is the couch kicker in your siggy? I swear I wondered that from the first day I saw it!

Oh, and nice tank. Especially for a fellow Texan! Woot!!

OK, I gotta ask....what/who is the couch kicker in your siggy? I swear I wondered that from the first day I saw it!

Oh, and nice tank. Especially for a fellow Texan! Woot!!

It's Rick James b!tch. Chappelle Show.

Looking pretty good in there.

Thanks.

pretty =]

Thanks, my pics aren't near as good as yours but........

So I made a trip to Lowes today to pick up some supplies for a little project for the 40. I'm tired of having no room in my stand and having a freaking rats nest of wiring behind my couch. I'm building a matching cabinet to go next to the tank to hold a new (haven't found one yet) ATO reservoir, hopefully one that holds more than 5.5g like my current one. I also want to organize and mount all my wiring, ballast and controller in the cabinet. This should free up some room in my stand for more equipment or even a larger sump later on.

I have a extra short bed btw.

IMG_7640.jpg

Cheap ass miter box, I'm too poor for a miter saw.

IMG_7641.jpg

Basic frame.

IMG_7643.jpg

Yeah the panels will be going on with my awesome $17 Harbor Freight brad/nail gun. Totally worth it.

IMG_7644.jpg

That is all I got done tonight (what do you expect, it's almost midnight?) but stay tuned for the finished project. I have to send in my faulty DC8 so when I get it back there will be a major rewiring.

I also picked up some new duds at Petco today. Only a select few know what they are for but I'm going to keep the secret a bit longer, perhaps until its already underway.

IMG_7639.jpg

Great chid proofing Ty. Maybe it;s good to get one regardless of having a child or not. Nice piece of mind. ;) So I am a little diappointed that I am not one of the select few . :rant: . Anywho next time I am in Texas set up a tee time , I will either pwned you, :owned: Or get Really drunk trying ! :happydance: As always great reefing . Carry on !

Great chid proofing Ty. Maybe it;s good to get one regardless of having a child or not. Nice piece of mind. ;) So I am a little diappointed that I am not one of the select few . :rant: . Anywho next time I am in Texas set up a tee time , I will either pwned you, :owned: Or get Really drunk trying ! :happydance: As always great reefing . Carry on !

I suck at golf.........but I'm badass at getting drunk and driving way too fast in a golf cart ;)

I have the same mitre box, and love it.

$8 baby ;)

I might need one of those Mitre Boxes myself soon.

Feeling very priveleged to be one of the select few, nice to see you've gotten started!

Feeling very priveleged to be one of the select few, nice to see you've gotten started!

Finally right? Going to try not to take 10 months to get water in this one. Ever sell your light?

your light goes in the mail in a few hours. again, sorry about that!!

Finally right? Going to try not to take 10 months to get water in this one. Ever sell your light?

fine i'll bite..... wtf are you doing with the new tank?

Archived