Top Shelf Aquatics

CollegeNano's AP12 HQI

CollegeNano

CollegeNano
Yeah I was originally going to set things up this summer and get it going, I finally had to check myself and be realistic about the whole situation. Just not smart, and this gives me more time to find the perfect components and do all the DIY without breaking the bank right now.

Not studying any language actually, but once I'm in Prague I'll be taking a class in Czech, I'm sure I'll pick up quite a bit being there. Are you taking any Italian? What are you going to be studying in Italy?

Love the new coral BTW.

Man it musta been hard to make yourself wait. When i have an empty 55 hanging out it's gonna be hard not to set up!

I took 3 semesters of Italian in college. I'm excited to go somewhere that I can learn more and practice, it's exciting! I'll be studying business there through out business school. So why Prague? My brother wants to go to Berlin.

Thanks about the coral. It's really starting to green up, looking awesome.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be studying film, and Prague is bascially the only program that my school offers that has a really decent film curriculum, and I'll be able to study at FAMU which is the oldest film school in Europe. Also since they're not on the euro it's waaay cheaper, and it just seems like a pretty cool place. It'll just be cool to go somewhere so different for a while.

CollegeNano
I'll be studying film, and Prague is bascially the only program that my school offers that has a really decent film curriculum, and I'll be able to study at FAMU which is the oldest film school in Europe. Also since they're not on the euro it's waaay cheaper, and it just seems like a pretty cool place. It'll just be cool to go somewhere so different for a while.

That sounds great. It seems like you are much more excited than me! I'm more reluctant to leave home but I hear everyone who studied in Italy loved it so I'm banking on that.

CollegeNano

Took a few macro shots today. For a point and shoot I'm pleased with this camera's ability :)

P7090033.jpg

P7090034-1.jpg

P7090041.jpg

P7090042.jpg

P7090027.jpg

CollegeNano
Awesome pics!

Thanks Nick! Being able to put the camera underwater really allows me to get better angles/closer if I manage not to block the light!

• 3 weeks later...

looking really really good!

i'm a college reefer too! :D never did a dorm room but moved apartments. soooo stressful!

just caught on to your thread but it looks like your tank is coming along well. Love the black sand! do you think you'll move everything into the 50 when you graduate or are you going to start it from scratch?

CollegeNano
looking really really good!

i'm a college reefer too! :D never did a dorm room but moved apartments. soooo stressful!

just caught on to your thread but it looks like your tank is coming along well. Love the black sand! do you think you'll move everything into the 50 when you graduate or are you going to start it from scratch?

I have only done my tanks in apartments as well! We are not allowed to have SW tanks in dorm rooms and no FW over 10 gallons at my school.

I really like the black sand too, it really helps the colors in the tank pop out in contrast.

I definitely plan on setting up the 55 at the latest when I graduate. I would like to move all of the livestock from my 12 so I could use the 12 as more of a frag/grow out tank! Sadly, I study abroad second semester this year and I'm not sure of a way to take care of my tank while I'm gone :( I'll have to work on it.

How's the tank upgrade treating you?

deputymiller68

CollegeNano what kind of light is on your tank? I do not think you ever mentioned it in your posts... just curious. I am wanting to add a Sunpod 16.5" 70w metal halide to my tank.

Upgrading to the 29 was the best decision! I love how much more space I have to move things around and yet it's not so big that it takes up too much space in the apartment. Our lease it up in April so I have some time before I have to tear down again.

I can also have a lot more diversity in what goes it there too. When I had the 14 i felt i was kind of limited to what/ how much i could stuff in there. I think the 29 is the perfect size. :D For a while I was thinking of turning my 75g into a reef, but it was way expensive and the maintenance would be more than i could handle i think. so it went to my parents house with an aquatic turtle! haha which they love!

good plan on using the 12 as a frag tank! wouldn't take up too much space. you could probably set it up inside the stand if there was enough room.

I'm sure there are people on here who would "bank" your tank for you while ur gone. See if someone or a few people would hold on to your livestock in their tanks and then when you get back you can take it back, or if it's grown out some frag and give it to them as a repayment for watching it. Reef clubs to that all the time in case of a tank crash. They frag stuff, let others grow it out, and if something happens they are able to get back pieces of their original stock. just an idea ;)

CollegeNano
CollegeNano what kind of light is on your tank? I do not think you ever mentioned it in your posts... just curious. I am wanting to add a Sunpod 16.5" 70w metal halide to my tank.

Even if I did mention it, who wants to look through 7 pages of crap :P

Haha, I'm running the exact Sunpod you mentioned. I actually bought the tank when it was selling out because they were stopping production of the 16.5 inch. Got a good deal. I love the light but I recently switched to a 20k Ushio bulb from teh current 14k and I'm not sure I like it as much as the 14k bulb.

Upgrading to the 29 was the best decision! I love how much more space I have to move things around and yet it's not so big that it takes up too much space in the apartment. Our lease it up in April so I have some time before I have to tear down again.

I can also have a lot more diversity in what goes it there too. When I had the 14 i felt i was kind of limited to what/ how much i could stuff in there. I think the 29 is the perfect size. :D For a while I was thinking of turning my 75g into a reef, but it was way expensive and the maintenance would be more than i could handle i think. so it went to my parents house with an aquatic turtle! haha which they love!

good plan on using the 12 as a frag tank! wouldn't take up too much space. you could probably set it up inside the stand if there was enough room.

I'm sure there are people on here who would "bank" your tank for you while ur gone. See if someone or a few people would hold on to your livestock in their tanks and then when you get back you can take it back, or if it's grown out some frag and give it to them as a repayment for watching it. Reef clubs to that all the time in case of a tank crash. They frag stuff, let others grow it out, and if something happens they are able to get back pieces of their original stock. just an idea ;)

Interesting about the new tank. I"m sure you love the space! I was debating on the 24G AP but I decided that moving a tank double the size would be much harder. You will have to let me know how the 29G move goes when your lease is up!

You idea about holding my coral is good. I was actually thinking about the same thing. I have a friend up at school with a 24 gallon. Hopefully I can convince him with the promise of frags (or money) to hold onto my favorite and I'll sell whatever I'll miss least! Luckily I have a little while before I have to start worrying about that! If all else fails I'll try and find someone on here or sell it all :( (minus the tank or course)

CollegeNano
What dont you like about the 70w 20k ushio? I'm thinking about buying one.

Hey fiction. I'm definitely going back to 14k on my next bulb purchase. If I had my camera on me I would show you some coral color comparisons. 20k is supposed to make the colors pop, but all it did for me was wash them out. I dug up one picture of the same coral under 14k and 20k lighting. When I get a chance I'll take a few more comparisons this weekend.

all using the same camera and the coral was in the exact location and the ushio had been given a week burn-in (still looks the same)

70w 14k current bulb

P6300240.jpg

P6300266.jpg

70w 20k ushio bulb

P7260120-1.jpg

P8020140.jpg

I'll get more comparisons this weekend hopefully fiction. Pretty much the current bulb easily showed better color. All previous pictures (including the macros) were from the 14k. Only recently have I used the 20k.

*edit* the bottom pictures were blurred because i wasn't using my little desktop tripod :)

CollegeNano
Whole-heartedly agree on the 14k......nice comparison pics

Yep, 14k is the way to go in my experience.

Also, I got in a shipment today consisting of a mini carpet nem and some purple yumas from testhead1313. I'll hopefully post some pictures tomorrow :)

My lease is up on my apt and im dreading the move with my nc12dx. I don't know if its good news or bad I'm definitely going bigger in the new leased house later this month. I found a awesome deal on a used RSM but that ultimate Nano is looking pretty nice at the new price too. Then there is always next year's move when i graduate with the bigger tank.

I just got the 16.5 Sunpod as well about a month ago. Going MH is the best thing you can do for an aquarium, that shimmer effect is priceless compared to the crappy PC lights the stock hood had.

CollegeNano

Comparisons continued.

Duncan 14k

P6300235.jpg

Duncan20k

P8070157.jpg

whammin watermelon 14k

P6300233.jpg

whammin watermelon 20k

P8070162.jpg

something 14k

P6300229.jpg

something 20k

P8070165.jpg

Crocea Clam14k

P5280008.jpg

Crocea Clam 20k

P8070168.jpg

As you can probably see, the extreme amount of blue is present in the 20k pictures and much less in the 14k, which is expected. Sadly, at least for me, this makes the colors less intense than they were before. Same camera and settings used for each.

VannReefer87

tank still going strong I see! I go to college at YCP (York College of PA), I'm a chem major and bio-minor. I live about 2 hours away from college but use and ATO and automatic feeder filled with spectrum pellets and freeze dried phyto and clycopeeze to appeeze the corals and fish when I'm not around for a week or so at a time. I put some kalkwasser in my top off water to keep the calc. level up for the SPS as well, all has worked well so far but any time I leave for more than 4-5 days at a time I pray, gotta start teachin the roomies how to take care of my fish!

College Reefers FTW!!! :grouphug:

CollegeNano
tank still going strong I see! I go to college at YCP (York College of PA), I'm a chem major and bio-minor. I live about 2 hours away from college but use and ATO and automatic feeder filled with spectrum pellets and freeze dried phyto and clycopeeze to appeeze the corals and fish when I'm not around for a week or so at a time. I put some kalkwasser in my top off water to keep the calc. level up for the SPS as well, all has worked well so far but any time I leave for more than 4-5 days at a time I pray, gotta start teachin the roomies how to take care of my fish!

College Reefers FTW!!! :grouphug:

College reefing is definitely in a group of it's own. I never leave the tank for more than a weekend without getting a friend (who has his own tank) to look after it. I taught my roommate how to take care of my FW but will only trust other SW people with my tank haha. Did you have to transport your tank home for summer? It was quite stressful for me!

VannReefer87

nah man, mine is still at my apt. out at school but I have an internship out there so I'm there very frequently to care for it and keep stocking it up...I'll post moer pics in my thread later tonight....

CollegeNano

Got some new stuff from testhead yesterday, it's moved in quite nicely.

mini-carpet anemone

P8070164.jpg

Purple Yuma's

P8070194.jpg

P8070195.jpg

I also picked up an orange shelled snail at the LFS yesterday, along with a 6 line wrasse to deal with some flatworms

P8070173.jpg

P8070174.jpg

Plus some old favorites

P8070171.jpg

P8070166.jpg

P8070193.jpg

P8070191.jpg

P8070188.jpg

nah man, mine is still at my apt. out at school but I have an internship out there so I'm there very frequently to care for it and keep stocking it up...I'll post moer pics in my thread later tonight....

Ah that's nice. Moving them is quite the pain. That's why I opted to go 12 G instead of 24. Let me know when you update!

CollegeNano
dude...is there an official College Reefer's thread yet? If not I'm starting one up later!

Good idea. I don't think that there is haha.

Archived