Innovative Marine Aquariums

CollegeNano's AP12 HQI

CollegeNano

MichiganReefer
Thanks!

Actually it's funny you mention that because the only person asking that question has been ME! Haha. I have a friend at school who has done it multiple times and has given me some recommendations. I will fill up two paint bucket like containers to hold my tank water, leaving just enough water in the tank to keep the sand wet and light enough to carry. The rock will go in the buckets as well. I'll bag the corals and livestock in either fish bags or tupperware and then put them in a cooler hopefully to keep the temp as stable as possible. I also have a converter that plugs into my car and i can plug in a heater and pump if need be. I'm only two hours from home so it seems like everything should be able to survive the trip.

Man, I have to do the same thing! Mine is only one hour but I have to do it every three months. I think it would be a good idea to leave to corals on the rocks and put the rocks in buckets. I haven't tried it yet.

Nate

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CollegeNano
Man, I have to do the same thing! Mine is only one hour but I have to do it every three months. I think it would be a good idea to leave to corals on the rocks and put the rocks in buckets. I haven't tried it yet.

Nate

I would be fearful of the rocks tumbling and crushing the corals. My corals are currently on their own rubble then glued to a rock. I'll just remove the frag and rubble together giving me a nice portable frag piece.

CollegeNano
Nice tank! Is the black sand hard to keep clean?

Hey lalani, when i first put the sand in it was really hard to keep clean. All the detritus and waste that landed on it really stood out. Now though, it has toned down a bit and I also mixed in some white sand to make it more peppered. It really hides all the other crap haha. I like it :)

• 4 weeks later...
CollegeNano
Everything looks great.....how 'bout a FTS with all the new corals?

I'll get a FTS up on Monday when I get back from my white water rafting vacation! Till then, here is my new favorite piece of life I got as a belated bday gift :)

P5280004.jpg

P5280008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I simply glued my liverock together to make one piece. It just fits in a 5g bucket. Running BB so I don't have to deal with the sand but I want sand soo bad! This really is a nice tank.

• 3 weeks later...
CollegeNano

Growth Shots (the color difference is mainly because I got a better camera later on)

Whammin Watermelons

1/08/08

DSCF0557.jpg

5/18/08

P5180004.jpg

7/01/08

P6300233.jpg

Pinks

04/07/08

DSCF1452.jpg

07/01/08

P6300231.jpg

Ricordea

04/05/08

DSCF1410.jpg

07/01/08

P6300228.jpg

Green People Eater (?)

04/07/08

DSCF1457.jpg

07/01/08

P6300232.jpg

No Idea

03/27/08

DSCF1398.jpg

07/01/08

P6300229.jpg

Blue Mushroom (weeks after frag)

04/20/08

DSCF1472.jpg

07/01/08

P6300251.jpg

Green Monti Cap

05/19/08

P5190005.jpg

07/01/08

P6300224.jpg

CollegeNano

K that's it for growth, now just some more pictures!

Fire and Ice

P6300230.jpg

Green something

P6300240.jpg

Duncan :)

P6300235.jpg

New Frogspawn

P6300237.jpg

My (still) pissed green hairy mushroom

P6300259.jpg

Crocea Clam doing great!

P6300225.jpg

VannReefer87

lookin good man...nice growth shots...sometimes I wish I would've gotten a smaller college reef tank like this one...

CollegeNano
lookin good man...nice growth shots...sometimes I wish I would've gotten a smaller college reef tank like this one...

Thanks Vann! The smaller size of this tank was the exact reason I got it. I'm sure you understand the pain it is to move large tanks. I had my first move with this tank in May and everything went smoothly even though I was pretty stressed. Smaller is definitely better for a moving college student I'm sure you would agree. Looks like you have quite a collection of cool tanks though! My uncle is giving me his empty drilled 50 bowfront so when I graduate I have that to look forward to :)

VannReefer87

Yea, I got a little "addicted" for a while there....the 30g is in my apt off campus now though, so I won't have to move that baby for another year and a half I'm hoping!

CollegeNano
Yea, I got a little "addicted" for a while there....the 30g is in my apt off campus now though, so I won't have to move that baby for another year and a half I'm hoping!

Yeah, I"m off campus too but I live to far to care for a large tank at school all the time during summer. Where do you go? How close are you to your tank during the break, or do you stay up at school? I'm also really nervous for study abroad!

I'm also really nervous for study abroad!

:scarry: Yeah I hear you on that one, I'm going to be in that same boat soon enough.... I'm probably just gonna have to dump everything & start over, oh well at least it's an excuse to upgrade everything and move to a bigger tank...

Love the tank BTW, especially seeing how it's grown out since it started... Great job! Also, how's that clam doing? What kind of lighting do you have in there?

CollegeNano
:scarry: Yeah I hear you on that one, I'm going to be in that same boat soon enough.... I'm probably just gonna have to dump everything & start over, oh well at least it's an excuse to upgrade everything and move to a bigger tank...

Love the tank BTW, especially seeing how it's grown out since it started... Great job! Also, how's that clam doing? What kind of lighting do you have in there?

I don't know if I could dump everything, that would be a sad day. I guess in the long run it's better than losing the whole investment when you're away abroad. I just built my girlfriend a 5.5 and I'm trying to train her to take care of tanks so she can be my babysitter :)

The clam is doing great. I haven't had any problems other than one time when he jumped from his perch when i first put him in. He's at the top of the tank under the 70W Mh. I slid the light over toward him slightly so he gets to soak up most of it.

Thanks for the comments dlawlor! Where do you go to school?

I go to USC (Southern California), I'm a film major. It'd be pretty unfortunate for you to have to get rid of your setup, you've got some awesome stuff in there. For me it won't be so bad, I've just got some LR, a CUC, one fish and one small zoa frag. Where are you gonna be going abroad?

CollegeNano
I go to USC (Southern California), I'm a film major. It'd be pretty unfortunate for you to have to get rid of your setup, you've got some awesome stuff in there. For me it won't be so bad, I've just got some LR, a CUC, one fish and one small zoa frag. Where are you gonna be going abroad?

California, nice! I'm looking at Italy during the spring (2nd) semester. I would take the tank with me if it was possible :P What are you trying to do?

AdriftQuasar

It's looking great! The more clams I see, the more I look forward to having some in my tank once I upgrade the lighting.

CollegeNano
It's looking great! The more clams I see, the more I look forward to having some in my tank once I upgrade the lighting.

Thanks, I still need to work on making it look less cluttered but I'm happy with 5.5 months of progress :) The clam is definitely a beatiful invert. I didn't even plan on having one until I went back to school in August but my girlfriends parents suprised me wiht one on my b-day :D

California, nice! I'm looking at Italy during the spring (2nd) semester. I would take the tank with me if it was possible :P What are you trying to do?

I'm going to be in Prague for the spring semester, from January until maybe July. And my lease at my new place ends next August so I'll probably just be fishtank-less for a while. At least it gives me a while to set up the perfect tank and upgrade the crap out of it :)

CollegeNano
I'm going to be in Prague for the spring semester, from January until maybe July. And my lease at my new place ends next August so I'll probably just be fishtank-less for a while. At least it gives me a while to set up the perfect tank and upgrade the crap out of it :)

That's pretty cool! Are you studying and German in school? Haha sounds like you have a pretty positive outlook on the idea, that's good. I'm getting a drilled 55 from my relatives and it's gonna be hard to keep myself from setting the beauty up!

CollegeNano

I got a new coral off the $20 frag rack today at my LFS. Not sure what it is but I haven't seen one so I thought i would pick it up!

And Id's please?

P7030004.jpg

P7030006.jpg

That's pretty cool! Are you studying and German in school? Haha sounds like you have a pretty positive outlook on the idea, that's good. I'm getting a drilled 55 from my relatives and it's gonna be hard to keep myself from setting the beauty up!

Yeah I was originally going to set things up this summer and get it going, I finally had to check myself and be realistic about the whole situation. Just not smart, and this gives me more time to find the perfect components and do all the DIY without breaking the bank right now.

Not studying any language actually, but once I'm in Prague I'll be taking a class in Czech, I'm sure I'll pick up quite a bit being there. Are you taking any Italian? What are you going to be studying in Italy?

Love the new coral BTW.

Archived