Pod Your Reef

CollegeNano's AP12 HQI

CollegeNano

Believe me rock is never too small to hold a lot of life. As you get more familiar with the sit and start to read some other threads you will soon see that people have things appear in their tanks months and months after starting them that could only have some from the live rock. Things can be small and hide in places you don't even know are there, and one day they are big enough that you notice them.

That's true, I have read about that before. I'm sure you understand how anxious I got once I put the rock in to see hitchhikers! I see people who on day 1 find a little starfish and by just a few days other little things. I'm Jealous haha.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a magnifying glass? I have a 3X with a small 10X spot on it. Look through one very carefully and slowly. You won't believe what you will see. Also get a flashlight with a red filter on it. Some night after studying when you have no college women over and are looking for something to do, shine the red light into the dark tank. Again you will be amazed at the things you will see. This is such a great hobby.

Got a magnifying glass? I have a 3X with a small 10X spot on it. Look through one very carefully and slowly. You won't believe what you will see. Also get a flashlight with a red filter on it. Some night after studying when you have no college women over and are looking for something to do, shine the red light into the dark tank. Again you will be amazed at the things you will see. This is such a great hobby.

Looks like I'll be makin a trip to Walmart again. I'm excited to try this out. Thanks!

Shoot Me_I Explode

Theres a saltwater store in the shopping center across the street from SouthPoint mall. Probally the closest one to you might want to check it out.

Theres a saltwater store in the shopping center across the street from SouthPoint mall. Probally the closest one to you might want to check it out.

Yeah that is one I was thinking of as well. Really nice stuff there and the man we talked to seemed to know a lot.

I don't think I would mess with the PH right now. It's going to go up and down during and after the cycle. Mine started out about 7.8, and now it's up to 8.2, and that was only in the first two weeks. So don't put any chemicals in for a couple months. Let the tank balance it self out. Plus, 7.8 isn't dangerously low or anything.

A few top down shots...(bluer because of camera)

DSCF0363.jpg

DSCF0364.jpg

Dirty filter floss :o Who doesn't wanna see this

DSCF0365.jpg

And some lumpy rock

DSCF0366.jpg

Can't tell I'm bored can ya?

Looks like your gonna need to get a pearl jawfish, to occupy one of the zillion caves u have.

I like the aquascaping

A zillion too many? ;)

I really like the pearls...So yes, that is definitely a possibility. I also like th e springeri pseudochromis but I have heard they don't get along with other fish too well.

I'm a Senior majoring in Geography. What year do you happen to be?

Sophomore majoring in business. Are you anxious to be done or sad it's over soon?

Looks good. I like the aquascaping

Thanks rehype! I'm anxious to get some stuff in, waiting is a killer. I have spent hours on NR refreshing the forum pages just to make time go faster when I look at my tank hah.

Just got back from a trip to my relatives mountain house :) Sadly no real visual changes to the tank. Not sure about ammonia since one test seems to be around 0 (API) the other ~1.0 (Seachem).

Tests today show Ammonia as well as Nitrites at 0 (gotta love that blue color). Anyway, seems that overnight diatoms decided to join my already growing collection of green and red algae. Just in time for the CUC today!

The room

DSCF0423.jpg

Everything looks great! Give me a call when you want to grab some frags to try out in there.

Sounds good Jared. I am picking up all of the stuff today around 3 so stocking photos should be up later on. You can let me know how it looks. Hopefully things will acclimate easily and I can grab some of your stuff :)

Just finished acclimating all of the livestock a great nanoreefer gave me! Thanks panubert, it was nice meeting you good luck getting to the west coast haha.

Anyway, pics on the way

Livestock (all free from a really nice guy!)

2 Snails, no the camera is not upside down

DSCF0493.jpg

5 hard working hermits

DSCF0453.jpg

2 Peppermint shrimp (one hidden)

DSCF0444.jpg

A misbar clown

DSCF0489.jpg

Everything looks great. Just keep an eye on your NO2, NO3, and NH4 for the next few days. It might take a few days for your denitrifying bacteria to catchup to the new bioload, but if you stay on top of everything it'll work out just fine. I'll look forward to meeting you tomorrow sometime when you come get some starter frags.

Everything looks great. Just keep an eye on your NO2, NO3, and NH4 for the next few days. It might take a few days for your denitrifying bacteria to catchup to the new bioload, but if you stay on top of everything it'll work out just fine. I'll look forward to meeting you tomorrow sometime when you come get some starter frags.

It's exciting now that the ball is rolling. Thanks for all of your help, tty in PMs

Archived