inTank Media Baskets

CollegeNano's AP12 HQI

CollegeNano

Either delete old pictures or random pics you dont need...or you could use another site like imageshack.com or tinypic.com

I don't think I can get back bandwidth by deleting pics, use it up slower yes? I'll open up imageshack for more pics, I don't have any new ones right now. By a week I should hopefully. Not much change if you have looked recently?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I can get back bandwidth by deleting pics, use it up slower yes? I'll open up imageshack for more pics, I don't have any new ones right now. By a week I should hopefully. Not much change if you have looked recently?

No i havent looked too recently...i just saw the start up with black sand just like mine and i wanted to see the corals and such.

No i havent looked too recently...i just saw the start up with black sand just like mine and i wanted to see the corals and such.

Gotcha. Well, my tank is still relatively sparse. I have a few polyps with a few heads each. Had a blue mushroom but it disappeared. Check back in a few weeks I should be relatively stocked then :)

So I got some new coral last night compliments of jdp, thought I would post the new pics since my photobucket account exceeded bandwidth on the others :( Anyways, here ya go

FTS

dscf0796bn7.jpg

Not sure what this is but it has an awesome blue center

topright2.jpg

newtopright.jpg

My shrimp of course always bothering the new corals

shrimpbothercoral.jpg

The new red and blue mushrooms, the old blue disappeared...

rednblueshrrom.jpg

redshroom.jpg

Fire and Ice Zoas

firenice2.jpg

firenicemd8.jpg

Big Green with a new polyp forming :)

biggreenkm4.jpg

eating

eating.jpg

Tell me what you think :)

kermitthedaniel

i like your aquascape, lots of caves, not just thrown on top of each other, very nice, keep up the good work and also very nice shots, try to get the hang of it for me still but nothing really to take yet.

Thanks kermit! I like your aquascape as well, the rock in your tank looks really different. Let me know when you start stocking things.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any tips on how to lessen the amount of green algae in my tank. I bought extra snails but they seem to just graze right over it. Are there certain types I should look for? I have astrea, nass, and trochus currently, plus 5 hermits and a pep shrimp. Other than reducing the light cycle what are my options :)

I'd do a waterchange (10-20%) and cut your light cycle for a few days. That normally works for nuissance algae (removing phosphates and light). Turbo snails work also, but can sometimes knock things over a bit. The tank looks great.

I'm not convinced it's any sort of coralline. It grew too fast and seems to be only on the rocks and sometimes lightly hazes the glass. Anyway, I'll try cutting the cycle for a few days and see what happens. Thanks guys.

I think a nice water change would be helpful, too. where are you getting your RO/DI and saltwater from? Do you know if it is phosphate free? It also could just be a stage in your tank's aging and you just need to keep up with the normal maintenance and cleaning. either way, it's never a bad thing to need to go buy some critters.

I've been getting distilled water from Wal-mart. I'm about to change from oceanic salt to instant ocean. Maybe that will help as well. I will do a big change today. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
CollegeNano
I dig the current scaping. What happened to purple gorgonian? Everything's lookin' good BTW

Thanks mischief! I feel like I'm running out of good spots to put things and I want to slightly rearrange to make more surface for corals, too many places are shadowed by overhangs and such. Anyway, a hermit tried to cling on the gorgonian and in doing so removed a lot of the tissue. It has now been reduced to a tree branch in the tank withouth any hope of recovery I'm afraid :(

• 2 weeks later...
CollegeNano

Favorite tank angle

DSCF1493.jpg

pink zoas

DSCF1452.jpg

DSCF1456.jpg

DSCF1495.jpg

DSCF1429.jpg

DSCF1469.jpg

Recently fragged off shroom recovering nicely :)

DSCF1472.jpg

Fire and Ice's growing like crazy

DSCF1474.jpg

DSCF1477.jpg

DSCF1502.jpg

My new goby!

DSCF1425.jpg

My nass snails feeding, I had no idea their mouths could stretch so far!

fishh.jpg

CollegeNano
nice tank dude

im sure someone has asked but how do you get it back n forth between school and home?

Thanks!

Actually it's funny you mention that because the only person asking that question has been ME! Haha. I have a friend at school who has done it multiple times and has given me some recommendations. I will fill up two paint bucket like containers to hold my tank water, leaving just enough water in the tank to keep the sand wet and light enough to carry. The rock will go in the buckets as well. I'll bag the corals and livestock in either fish bags or tupperware and then put them in a cooler hopefully to keep the temp as stable as possible. I also have a converter that plugs into my car and i can plug in a heater and pump if need be. I'm only two hours from home so it seems like everything should be able to survive the trip.

Archived