Pod Your Reef

CollegeNano's AP12 HQI

CollegeNano

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, everything looks great. I am impressed at how well all of the frags have grown in. I have tons of new stuff if you are wanting to swap sometime. I'd love to get ahold of the blue and green zoas again. let me know when you make it back up to chapel hill

CollegeNano
wow, everything looks great. I am impressed at how well all of the frags have grown in. I have tons of new stuff if you are wanting to swap sometime. I'd love to get ahold of the blue and green zoas again. let me know when you make it back up to chapel hill

Thanks, I'm excited to check out your tank in person soon! The only bad news I have to give is that some colonies of my corals deteriorated for some unknown reason and iodine/furan-2 dips did not help at all. I lost a large (for my tank) fire and ice colony and one of the blue centers you gave me from way back. All of the updated pics I still have and some fire/ice survived by moving to my scape.

Very nice tank!

Anyway, about the bulbs. I got my 20k Ushio bulb used (he told me it was used for about three months). My tank has a very white light with a purplish tint to it. So I'm guessing the blue just wore out of mine. I was planning on buying the 14k phoenix bulb for the growth anyway. I can see your corals definitely pop better with that lighting.

I did want to ask, is your tank really that blue or does it just come out that way in photos? I always have to mess with the white balance on my or all my photos come out in that washed out blue. If the phoenix does make everything appear that way, I might go with a 10k bulb instead.

Very nice tank!

Anyway, about the bulbs. I got my 20k Ushio bulb used (he told me it was used for about three months). My tank has a very white light with a purplish tint to it. So I'm guessing the blue just wore out of mine. I was planning on buying the 14k phoenix bulb for the growth anyway. I can see your corals definitely pop better with that lighting.

I did want to ask, is your tank really that blue or does it just come out that way in photos? I always have to mess with the white balance on my or all my photos come out in that washed out blue. If the phoenix does make everything appear that way, I might go with a 10k bulb instead.

Hey Enjoifish, my tank is currently running the 20k ushio, so all of the pictures I have recently been taking are from a 20k bulb. That being said, the comparison shots show how the 14k is definitely less blue. Do you think the photos of the 14k bulb are still too blue for your taste? The 14k phoenix seems to be really popular so I wouldn't change to a 10k until you could see someone's photos of a 10k bulb :) I feel you will be happier with a 14k bulb though, I was.

As for the camera, I'm only using a point and shoot so the color difference between the pictures and what I see is slightly different, but the extra blue from the 20k is quite noticeable to my eye. Oh and when I took the pictures comparing each bulb I used the same camera and the same WB settings.

Hope that helps a litte...:)

Do you think the photos of the 14k bulb are still too blue for your taste? The 14k phoenix seems to be really popular so I wouldn't change to a 10k until you could see someone's photos of a 10k bulb :) I feel you will be happier with a 14k bulb though, I was.

I agree. As soon I was done posting this, I started looking for tanks with 10k bulbs. Not so easy to find, but the ones I did see were flat unless they had atintics on as well. I'm running a Sunpod over a 10g...not much room to add any more lighting. 14k Phoenix it is.

Thanks for helping me out!

Super BluE!!!

Yeah the 20k is pretty blue. I'm learning to like it but I still miss the 14k, especially since I sacrificed growth for "better" color.

WOW, that tank is looking beautiful. Sucks you have to move it all the time. I love the duncan.

Good job College!

thanks a lot marinekeeper! I get pretty stressed moving the tank, and each time I do I have double the amount of stuff I had before haha. Luckily I chose a smaller tank which makes moving a little easier. I did it by myself coming home for summer :) The duncan is one of my favorite corals. The one head now has 4 small babies growing!

When you movin the tank back in? I just set-up a frag tank in my apt. last night...

Hey Vann. Looks like your college reefer thread is quite the hit :) I'll be moving back Friday the 15th. I have so much crap to move but funny thing is all I care about is getting my tank there haha! Got pics of the frag tank?

Well I moved the tank back to school yesterday. After about two hours of packing and three + hours of setting it back up I was finished. So far everything has survived, pissed, but alive. Sadly, I couldn't get the aquascape back to how it was so i settled for the current one since it gave me a chance to put more corals higher up.

P8160302.jpg

Coral pictures to come when they open :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I had been reading a a little info on MH bulbs and was under the impression that they only lasted around 6 months when in fact they can go a few months longer. I decided to put my old 14k bulb back in since I'm not liking the 20k and man am I happy. I'll hopefully post some pictures when my girlfriend brings my camera this weekend :)

So as I stated in the last post, I changed back to my 14k current bulb. It has been a week and I'm noticing a slight color change and everything is definitely less washed out. Here are some pics of some stuff i grabbed off the $5 rack and such.

$5 orange zoas, also has two other morphs on the rock with 1 polyp each.

P9060338.jpg

$5 for some sort of PE. I like the purple color of these

P9060339.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My yellow-head jawfish died today :( I think he may have been stuck by a shifting rock because he was fine the day before and when I fed the tank today he didn't come out. When I looked in his home he was barely alive. My favorite fish. Left only with a 6-line now.

My snail has blue eyes :)

P9190362.jpg

Porcelain riding snail

P9250387.jpg

Ok Ok, coral, mostly older stuff and the two new $5 frags

Green Hairy Mushroom

P9250392.jpg

Duncan, started as 1 head, now has 1 large, 4 medium, 1 baby

P9250396.jpg

Rock Flower Anemone

P9250398.jpg

People Eaters coloring quite nicely

P9250401.jpg

Growing onto the rock

P9250403.jpg

Fire and Ice

P9250404.jpg

Rics

P9250405.jpg

Orange?

P9250407-1.jpg

Purple Yuma

P9250412-1.jpg

Daisy Polyps?

P9250409.jpg

What kind of camera are you using? You have some nice closeups. I love the recent shot of your people eaters. Beautiful colors! Is that a top down shot or what?

I love your tank! I have the same setup.

What kind of camera are you using? You have some nice closeups. I love the recent shot of your people eaters. Beautiful colors! Is that a top down shot or what?

I love your tank! I have the same setup.

Thanks! I'm using an Olympus 1030 SW. It's a waterproof point and shoot but it has a super macro setting that lets me get really close to the object. I love if for in tank shots.

It's an in tank shot from an upper angle I suppose. Not through the glass if that's what you're asking. The waterproof camera is really nice for getting good color. Just gotta make sure you don't block the light!

Love the people eaters and orange zoas!!! Great pix!!

I always seem to buy a few poly frags off the $5 rack to find out what they will look like in my tank. In this case they both turned out awesome. You can scroll up a bit to see the before pictures. They colored up great! Thanks :)

like i said... im going shopping in your tank soon haha

Too bad I found a good friend to care for my tank while I'm abroad or you really could have haha!

So I changed the yuma and the orange pictures to get a little closer and found a sneaky little bubble algae, and what looks like aptasia! Grrr

You could probably pluck that bubble right out of there with your fingers

Hey Mischief. I decided to remove the whole rock and relocate the zoas to a clean, aptasia and algae free rock rubble. Better to not take any risks :)

Archived