Innovative Marine Aquariums

SECRET CORAL SANTA?

adinsxq

We should figure out something in the event that we have to use a more 'spensive shipping service in the event that Express won't hit overnight.

Yeah, I thought about that.

You got any suggestions?

BTW, I would suggest using 40 hr. heat packs guys.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BustytheSnowMaam

I'm in :)

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

Thanx Weetie!

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

dshnarw

ME IN!

Thanks adin and Weet!

I will continue to edit and add to this as new people join.

Also, if any of you out there have enough frags to do it, you have the option of entering twice. This would mean you would be sending out two different Secret White Elephant Santa frag packages and would receive two different ones as well. Keep in mind you would have to pay to ship out two packages, which tends to run $21-$25 for USPS Express overnight shipping, for each package. If anyone wants to do this, let me know. Thanks for playing!

...and I will continue to update the original post with new information it becomes available!

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

dshnarw

Now that's looking more like a list!

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

beansandmia

I'm in too :)

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

beansandmia

nano-paul

HO HO HO!!!

IM ALL IN!!!!!

I gots a few good frags I need to unload.

Reminder: If you haven't done so, send your contact information to Weetabix7

I still need info from Chebon and ENraged.

I had a thought on the shipping cost issue that mvite brought up.

One of the requirements for this is that all frags be sent out to the recipient by overnight mail.

USPS Express will work fine for this in most cases, but there may be one or two instances where USPS Express can't get it there overnight. When this happens, either UPS Next Day or FedEx will need to be used, and they are more expensive. I haven't checked recently, but I think they run $35-$40 instead of the $21-$25 for USPS Express.

Tell me what you guys think about this.

What if everyone who is participating contributed something in the neighborhood of $2 to be put into a pool for those who will have to ship by more expensive methods. Then when someone has to ship by a more expensive method, I could send them $ out of the pool to help cover the cost, say anything over $25.

If it costs more than $25 through USPS Express cause you make up a heavy package, that's yer own silly fault, but if you incur extra costs cause you have to ship through UPS or FedEx, you'd get a little help.

If no one ends up having to use this service I could just refund their contribution.

Thoughts?

Any other ideas?

This is such an awesome idea. So awesome that I wish I could participate, but a lack of shipping supplies and the fact that I have never shipped any coral before keeps me from doing so. Who wants a DOA frag out of this deal? My guess is no one. Plus the only nice stuff that I have, well what I think is nice, are big colonies of aussie acans that i am afraid to frag even though I have the right tools. The other stuff is run of the mill tank standards like a real mouthy candy cane coral, Green striped mushrooms all over my tank (I wouldn't wish those on my worst enemies tank), and other boring thing things like that. The rest are frags that I bought as single polyps and only have that one polyp.

The other problem is that USPS doesn't hit me overnight cause I live out in the sticks.

Continue to spread joy and cheer my jolly fellow nanoreefers and remember this is about Fun not profitability of the coral that you get.

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

beansandmia

nano-paul

HO HO HO!!!

IM ALL IN!!!!!

I gots a few good frags I need to unload.

It's for Xmas Paul NOT EASTER !!!! LOL sorry I had to :D

oh and by the way, if "santa" offends anyone, feel free to imagine "white elephant" or whatever in its place.

I like to think of santa with wings singing lead vocals for skynard surrounded by an angel band and i am in the front row hammered drunk.

xoxo

This is such an awesome idea. So awesome that I wish I could participate, but a lack of shipping supplies and the fact that I have never shipped any coral before keeps me from doing so. Who wants a DOA frag out of this deal? My guess is no one. Plus the only nice stuff that I have, well what I think is nice, are big colonies of aussie acans that i am afraid to frag even though I have the right tools. The other stuff is run of the mill tank standards like a real mouthy candy cane coral, Green striped mushrooms all over my tank (I wouldn't wish those on my worst enemies tank), and other boring thing things like that. The rest are frags that I bought as single polyps and only have that one polyp.

The other problem is that USPS doesn't hit me overnight cause I live out in the sticks.

Continue to spread joy and cheer my jolly fellow nanoreefers and remember this is about Fun not profitability of the coral that you get.

Please don't let lack of shipping experience stop you.

Shipping only SOUNDS scary, I promise you that in reality it's not that complicated. I'm gonna post a quick 'n easy shipping tutorial on this thread later this afternoon, but here's some quick info on where to get supplies:

-Boxes: Wal-Mart, 6x6 or 7x7

-Bags & 40 hr. Heat Packs: www.kensfish.com

-Box insulation material: Home Depot, Lowes, Michael's or any other hardware store or craft store

As for fragging, my favorite fragging tools are a dremel with a diamond cut-off wheel and an Xacto knife. I haven't fragged acans before (perhaps mvite or Prop could jump in here?) but I think those tools would work fine on them as long as the piece isn't too thick.

There's some good fragging and shipping info on these two threads from NR's own Mayor Awesome:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

The Propagation Forum is another good place to find info.

Once you start doing this and learn how much fun it is to have stuff to trade with others or just sell to get $ to feed your Reef Habit, you're hooked and you never want to stop!

It's a blast!

Save a reef, frag a coral!

After the swapping is all said and done, please post your feedback. We could do this more frequently if enough of you want to participate!

BustytheSnowMaam

I *personally* find the easiest way to ship is to buy little styrofoam bait coolers and heat packs from the outdoors dept of Menards, Lowes, Fleet Farm, etc. Tape the heat pack to the lid of the bait cooler, don't let it come in contact with the bags. I put everything together in the bait cooler along with the address I am shipping to and go to a pack and ship store. In my experience when I tell them what I am sending they pack it extra well for me. Just my .02.

Kensfish is a great place to order supplies. I have some fish shipping bags from them, if anyone just wants a few for this exchange (rather than buying 50) I can send you some, pm me.

first post is now up to date!

List:

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

beansandmia

nano-paul

reeferman-chris

I'm in!!

List:

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

beansandmia

nano-paul

reeferman-chris

SHIPPING TUTORIAL

There's more than one way to ship, but this is what works for me.

-I like to use 6x6 or 7x7 boxes. I get mine from Wal-Mart, they're pretty cheap.

-Line the box with some type of insulating material. A lot of people use simple styrofoam, which can be found in any store that carries craft supplies. I actually prefer to use an insulating foam that can be found in the Building Supply dept. of any hardware store. It really helps to try to get a tight fit with whatever type of insulating liner you use.

This is a pic of the insulation I use. The white piece w/print is the back of the insulation, the small silver slivers are pieces showing the front surface of the insulation:

DSCN1889.jpg

-Just inside the insulation, I like to put a large plastic bag. This is to prevent Post Office freakouts and damp boxes in the event that some water leaks out of the frag bags. I use plastic shopping bags.

-According to Post Office regulations, it is okay to ship liquids as long as there is enough absorbent material in the package to absorb anything that leaks. Therefore, I use either newspaper or paper towels as packing material around the bags.

-For bags, I like to use 6" x 20" 2 mil bags from kensfish.com. Here's a link:

http://www.kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html

If you're bagging zoas, you can put 2-3 frags in one bag as long as you wrap each frag in a paper towel to protect them from jostling each other. This will also keep them damp if water leaks out of the bag. I only use paper towels w/zoas.

For other corals, one frag to a bag is probably best.

They don't need to have a whole bagful of water, just enough to keep them covered during shipment.

I like to double bag my frags, and fasten each bag individually with a rubber band.

-Place bag in box, fill remainder of space w/newspaper or paper towel, and close larger outer bag over the whole w/tape.

This is what your package should look like before closing and taping the outer bag over the contents:

DSCN1885.jpg

-For heat packs, I like to use 40 hr. heat packs from kensfish.com, see above link.

Wrap heat pack in newspaper or paper towel, place on top of outer bag, place top piece of insulating foam, then close box, tape well, address and ship!

Heat Packs, opened and unopened:

DSCN1894.jpg

This is what your package should look like w/the outer bag closed and the newspaper wrapped heat pack placed on top:

DSCN1893.jpg

I would like to participate but I dont have much interesting, Would I be matched with someone in a similar situation? I dont want to dissappoint anyone. I can throw in macro in addition to 2-3 cheap frags to sweeten it.

Would using a USPS flat rate express box be acceptable? I am assuming that I would be matched with someone who would recieve the package next day using express?

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish

tashayar

beansandmia

nano-paul

reeferman-chris

six

cool idea.

shivametimbas

i am pretty sure i wont be able to use usps. this will depend on where i end up shipping to i guess. i had already planned on this and will just be "suckin it up" and "takin one for the team". just my .02

link to shipping guide added to original post!

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

mvite

shivametimbas

shawnkenn

varanus37 x2

fragmadness

BibleSue

Needsreefunds

dtfleming

Mudfish