Innovative Marine Aquariums

SECRET CORAL SANTA?

adinsxq

Hi,

I'm trying to organize a local coral secret santa ( southern california www.scnrs.com ) but figured that if other NR members are interested in participating, we can extend it to everyone!

If you're out of the area, we could make a separate "shipping" group. You'd ship on your own dollar of course. Coral selection would be your choice. If you're concerned that you may give something "better" than what you receive, YOU'RE IN THE WRONG MINDSET!

Happy holidays,

A

Hello!

Happy Holidays Nano-Reef.com! If you'd like to participate in the 2007 "SECRET WHITE CORAL SANTA ELEPHANT," please read the following:

Here's the basic idea if you're unfamiliar with the game.

1. The names of the participants go into a pool.

2. Each participant is randomly assigned someone to send a package to!

Update #1:

(old news)

To make this as easy as possible, NO LIMITS on "value of coral." Holiday spirit people... give what you can. Don't complain about what you got. Please realize that if you participate, I'm going to have to collect contact info from you (name, address, phone)

ALSO, the list needs to be finalized soon. Packages need to be in the mail before the carriers get bogged down.

Update #2:

(Thanks Weetie!)

Weetabix7 is now the go-to woman for the secret santa!

• -Deadline for entering this is 12 midnight EST, Sun. 12/2.
  • -adinsxq will be drawing names since he is not involved and is therefore impartial
  • -You will be PM'ed with shipping info for the person you are to ship frags to by Dec. 7
  • -Shipments are to be sent out OVERNIGHT on either Wed. 12/12 or Thurs. 12/13
  • -Only 1 frag is required to be part of this, but if you can send more, that's great!
  • -You must have a stable system that is AT LEAST 7 MONTHS OLD to participate
  • -Please let me know whether the frag/s you are sending require Metal Halide lighting or whether they are PC compatible. Please also let me know what kind of lighting you have on your system. That way we can ensure that an sps frag isn't sent to someone with PC lighting.

PLEASE PM WEETABIX7, WITH YOUR INFO.

Include your shipping address and the info on lighting requirements for the frags you're sending and what kind of system lighting you have.

Update #3:

(Double the cheer!)

Also, if any of you out there have enough frags to do it, you have the option of entering twice. This would mean you would be sending out two different Secret White Elephant Santa frag packages and would receive two different ones as well. Keep in mind you would have to pay to ship out two packages, which tends to run $21-$25 for USPS Express overnight shipping, for each package.

If anyone wants to do this, let me know.

Thanks for playing!

Update #4:

(shipping info & tips)Weetabix7: I had a thought on the shipping cost issue that mvite brought up.

One of the requirements for this is that all frags be sent out to the recipient by overnight mail. USPS Express will work fine for this in most cases, but there may be one or two instances where USPS Express can't get it there overnight. When this happens, either UPS Next Day or FedEx will need to be used, and they are more expensive. I haven't checked recently, but I think they run $35-$40 instead of the $21-$25 for USPS Express.

Please don't let lack of shipping experience stop you.

Shipping only SOUNDS scary, I promise you that in reality it's not that complicated. I'm gonna post a quick 'n easy shipping tutorial on this thread later this afternoon, but here's some quick info on where to get supplies:

• -Boxes: Wal-Mart, 6x6 or 7x7
  • -Bags & 40 hr. Heat Packs: www.kensfish.com
  • -Box insulation material: Home Depot, Lowes, Michael's or any other hardware store or craft store

There's some good fragging and shipping info on these two threads from NR's own Mayor Awesome:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

tashayar:

I *personally* find the easiest way to ship is to buy little styrofoam bait coolers and heat packs from the outdoors dept of Menards, Lowes, Fleet Farm, etc. Tape the heat pack to the lid of the bait cooler, don't let it come in contact with the bags. I put everything together in the bait cooler along with the address I am shipping to and go to a pack and ship store. In my experience when I tell them what I am sending they pack it extra well for me. Just my .02.

Kensfish is a great place to order supplies. I have some fish shipping bags from them, if anyone just wants a few for this exchange (rather than buying 50) I can send you some, pm me.

Update #5:

(Shipping Guide)

If you're new to shipping, or need a refresher... click on the following link!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1382994

For USPS information... click this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1383221

PLEASE ADD TO THE RUNNING LIST AND MESSAGE WEETABIX7 WITH YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION (NAME & ADDRESS) IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta check if anything will be ready to go and if so I am in the shipping group

Hi,I'm trying to organize a local coral secret santa ( southern california www.scnrs.com ) but figured that if other NR members are interested in participating, we can extend it to everyone!If you're out of the area, we could make a separate "shipping" group. You'd ship on your own dollar of course. Coral selection would be your choice. If you're concerned that you may give something "better" than what you receive, YOU'RE IN THE WRONG MINDSET!Happy holidays,A
There is not going to be a coral value limit is there? I dont really own anything "cheap". Are the participating members going to be sending a list of already owned pieces so as to avoid duplicates?
Gotta check if anything will be ready to go and if so I am in the shipping groupThere is not going to be a coral value limit is there? I dont really own anything "cheap". Are the participating members going to be sending a list of already owned pieces so as to avoid duplicates?

What did the first post say again ? ;)

To make this as easy as possible, NO LIMITS on "value of coral." Holiday spirit people... give what you can. Don't complain about what you got. Please realize that if you participate, I'm going to have to collect contact info from you (name, address, phone)

ALSO, the list needs to be finalized soon. Packages need to be in the mail before the carriers get bogged down.

PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST IF YOU'RE GOING TO PARTICIPATE:

mvite

chebon

enraged

(if you're in so. cal. please go to www.scnrs.com)

What did the first post say again ? ;)
:P I know.....I know.. Just got a bit excited
East Coast never has anything fun!
2 of the 3 listed are east coasters jump on in
please repost the list with your name added. FOLLOW THE RULES NOOB

mvite

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

I'm in!

Are the rest of yous just thinking of doing 1 frag or a couple or what?

I don't wanna shortchange anyone...

What's the cutoff date for this, esp. as far as shipping goes?

mvite

chebon

enraged

Weetabix7

I'm in!

Are the rest of yous just thinking of doing 1 frag or a couple or what?

I don't wanna shortchange anyone...

What's the cutoff date for this, esp. as far as shipping goes?

open to discussion.. what are you thoughts?

open to discussion.. what are you thoughts?

I'm thinking we should all ship on Wed., Dec. 12 and we should all agree to ship overnight.

That would allow enough time to make frags and have them heal, encrust, whatever.

Most shipments on the EC will probably need heat packs.

2-3 frags sounds good to me.

I will probably try to do 3.

How do we determine who gets to ship to who?

You gonna draw names out of a hat?

I might be willing to coordinate things for the EC if you like.

as a non-participant in the shipping group, i'd be glad to draw names out of a hat.

dec 12 sounds reasonable to me... anyone else have thoughts on this?

if we go with dec 12, let's finalize the list by friday, dec 7. names and contact info would be distributed over the weekend for shipping on the following weekend.

i know it's getting cold on the EC. if there's anyone worried about shipping, don't be! we have a good group of experienced shippers for advice.

i'm wary of setting a # guideline. i understand your concern but we should try to include as many people as possible (i'm not sure everyone out there has that kind of frag-power)

IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE LEAD ON THIS THAT'S 100% COOL WITH ME WEETIE!

as a non-participant in the shipping group, i'd be glad to draw names out of a hat.

IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE LEAD ON THIS THAT'S 100% COOL WITH ME WEETIE!

'Kay, YGPM!

OKAY FOLKS, I'M TAKING OVER!!!! :ninja::happydance:

Here's some ground rules for those who are not part of the Cali elite:

-Deadline for entering this is 12 midnight EST, Sun. 12/2.

-adinsxq will be drawing names since he is not involved and is therefore impartial

-You will be PM'ed with shipping info for the person you are to ship frags to by Dec. 7

-Shipments are to be sent out OVERNIGHT on either Wed. 12/12 or Thurs. 12/13

-Only 1 frag is required to be part of this, but if you can send more, that's great!

-You must have a stable system that is AT LEAST 7 MONTHS OLD to participate

-Please let me know whether the frag/s you are sending require Metal Halide lighting or whether they are PC compatible. Please also let me know what kind of lighting you have on your system. That way we can ensure that an sps frag isn't sent to someone with PC lighting.

PLEASE PM ME, WEETABIX7, WITH YOUR INFO.

Include your shipping address and the info on lighting requirements for the frags you're sending and what kind of system lighting you have.

If anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to post them here or PM me.

I will try to post a short shipping tutorial today or tomorrow.

Archived