Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mag-Racks!

Sushi

"you might want to think about epoxying the outside magnets also"

I was thinking the same thing as I read this. This would allow people to use the back wall of their nanocube or other all-in-one tank with out the risk of rusting.

it's really easy to have one of the magnets drop on the floor and chip the pain or just break in half.. after a while it rust.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's really easy to have one of the magnets drop on the floor and chip the pain or just break in half.. after a while it rust.

This issue has been brought up before... regarding the outer magnets and their potential function with extra epoxy resin. Even resin will be prone to chipping and cracking over an extended period of time. With the strength of the magnets pull and the potential force they create when hitting each other, the epoxy-resin is not shatter/damage-proof.

Currently, I do my best to inspect EVERY magnet that I include with each Mag-Rack to ensure that there are no cracks/chips/scratches. This is why I add a "caution when handling" card with every order to help minimize any damages that may occur to the magnets when they are put to use. Coating the outer magnet with epoxy resin would only add to the cost and time it takes to make each Mag-Rack. I would like to try my best to keep costs low and prices the same; so, it is up to the end customer to exercise diligence with the outer-magnets while moving the Mag-Rack around.

Although I have only had a few complaints regarding the outer magnets, I would suggest everyone to place the Mag-Rack in an area which you don't rub against during maintenance, possibly reducing the chance of knocking the magnets off... Also, do your best to treat each magnet with the utmost respect as they are NOT indestructable. This is the drawback of Neodymium Magnets; no matter how strong they are, they are prone to getting chipped and scratched over heavy use. They're not meant to be slammed together, so please be careful!

Featherduster

I just my order in today. Great shipping and packaging. Its funny, because I also got an order in from a well known online depot suppler who's packaging seemed like a first grader compared to Daniel's.

As for the mag-rack's themselves, you definitely can't beat that pricing for the great quality you receive. It looked highly professional. Since I have a tank with a black background the racks blended in nicely and looked clean.

I also didn't expect the little extra item, which was the DIY mag supporters. Thanks so much for including them.

This issue has been brought up before... regarding the outer magnets and their potential function with extra epoxy resin. Even resin will be prone to chipping and cracking over an extended period of time. With the strength of the magnets pull and the potential force they create when hitting each other, the epoxy-resin is not shatter/damage-proof.

Currently, I do my best to inspect EVERY magnet that I include with each Mag-Rack to ensure that there are no cracks/chips/scratches. This is why I add a "caution when handling" card with every order to help minimize any damages that may occur to the magnets when they are put to use. Coating the outer magnet with epoxy resin would only add to the cost and time it takes to make each Mag-Rack. I would like to try my best to keep costs low and prices the same; so, it is up to the end customer to exercise diligence with the outer-magnets while moving the Mag-Rack around.

Although I have only had a few complaints regarding the outer magnets, I would suggest everyone to place the Mag-Rack in an area which you don't rub against during maintenance, possibly reducing the chance of knocking the magnets off... Also, do your best to treat each magnet with the utmost respect as they are NOT indestructable. This is the drawback of Neodymium Magnets; no matter how strong they are, they are prone to getting chipped and scratched over heavy use. They're not meant to be slammed together, so please be careful!

Makes sense on the cost and benefit above. Just a thought: How about an option for an upgrade at a higher cost with the outside magnet coated too?

I just my order in today. Great shipping and packaging. Its funny, because I also got an order in from a well known online depot suppler who's packaging seemed like a first grader compared to Daniel's.

As for the mag-rack's themselves, you definitely can't beat that pricing for the great quality you receive. It looked highly professional. Since I have a tank with a black background the racks blended in nicely and looked clean.

I also didn't expect the little extra item, which was the DIY mag supporters. Thanks so much for including them.

Thanks for the comments! Happy fragging... :happy:

Makes sense on the cost and benefit above. Just a thought: How about an option for an upgrade at a higher cost with the outside magnet coated too?

The idea that you suggested is plausible, but once again... the issue with the epoxy resin being coated still comes into play. Even when coated, they are not indestructable when they are attracted to each other and slam together. I will take your suggestion into mind though, and see what I can come up with.

Regarding the website: the ordering page will be back online tomorrow. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the comments! Happy fragging... :happy:

The idea that you suggested is plausible, but once again... the issue with the epoxy resin being coated still comes into play. Even when coated, they are not indestructable when they are attracted to each other and slam together. I will take your suggestion into mind though, and see what I can come up with.

Regarding the website: the ordering page will be back online tomorrow. Thanks :)

i know they are not indestructable but one drop and the magnets chip. if you encoat them with epoxy, they would at least last a little longer.

i had one fall on the ground and it broke in half.

epoxy would help protect it a little better.

it also might be better if you have only 2 magnets. after one of the magnets broke in half. mine has been working with 2 fairly well.

• 2 months later...
LosingSleep
i know they are not indestructable but one drop and the magnets chip. if you encoat them with epoxy, they would at least last a little longer.

i had one fall on the ground and it broke in half.

epoxy would help protect it a little better.

it also might be better if you have only 2 magnets. after one of the magnets broke in half. mine has been working with 2 fairly well.

Just ordered a couple more. Next step will be a frag tank. :D

Just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that I'm trying to work out a "upgraded" Version 3 of the Mag-Rack. It'll be a while (at least 2-3 months - probably around Sept/Nov) before they are ready to be unveiled. One of the upgrades is the highly requested "outer-magnet" epoxy which will definitely be addressed in the new version... other things will be significantly improved and you guys will appreciate the changes! (I hope) :)

Also, I want to apologize to everyone who has ordered from me in the past month or so. I've been extremely busy and it's taking me slightly longer than I'd like to ship out your orders. So, I want to apologize in advance if your order is delayed by a few days. EVERY SINGLE order is hand made and hand packaged by me and I try to ship out within a 1-2 week time frame (no later), but sometimes the wait time is unbearable and I understand.

I will be only making the current (version 2) Mag-Racks for only 1-2 more months before I start transitioning into the new (version 3) Mag-Racks. So, just warning you guys that there are only a limited number of version 2's and after that, there'll be no more!

Check for updates on the website in 1-2 months for more information!

www.mag-racks.com

--

Daniel

BKtomodachi

Great idea with the outer epoxy!

I'll be ordering a couple of the v3's most likely, as the tank won't be ready until that time.

Phishyaly: Sets of replacement magnets (outer black epoxy) are $5.00 including shipping. E-mail me daniel@mag-racks.com and I'll get that taken care of for you.

Daniel, I'd like to mention that the small wait period I had when I placed my order was so worth it. Your product is top notch and fills a much needed nitch in the need for reefers to propagate and share their corals!

Thank you,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that I'm trying to work out a "upgraded" Version 3 of the Mag-Rack. It'll be a while (at least 2-3 months - probably around Sept/Nov) before they are ready to be unveiled. One of the upgrades is the highly requested "outer-magnet" epoxy which will definitely be addressed in the new version... other things will be significantly improved and you guys will appreciate the changes! (I hope) :)

Also, I want to apologize to everyone who has ordered from me in the past month or so. I've been extremely busy and it's taking me slightly longer than I'd like to ship out your orders. So, I want to apologize in advance if your order is delayed by a few days. EVERY SINGLE order is hand made and hand packaged by me and I try to ship out within a 1-2 week time frame (no later), but sometimes the wait time is unbearable and I understand.

I will be only making the current (version 2) Mag-Racks for only 1-2 more months before I start transitioning into the new (version 3) Mag-Racks. So, just warning you guys that there are only a limited number of version 2's and after that, there'll be no more!

Check for updates on the website in 1-2 months for more information!

www.mag-racks.com

--

Daniel

TTT!!! ;)

Hey Daniel,

What are the differences in V.2 and V.3 going to be? I going to place a order, and I just want to see if I should wait for the newer version!

Thanks a million!

David, and all others who have PM'd or E-Mailed me:

Sorry for the late responses! I just recently had the chance to check back on this thread and decided to give you guys a thorough update regarding what's going on with the website and Mag-Racks in general.

Version 2 Mag-Racks in my opinion had a great run but as time progressed there were a few things that I noticed needing improvements. The actual rack was brittle (egg-crate cracks and breaks EXTREMELY easily), and thus the joint in which the magnet and egg-crate meet in the polyester resin is susceptible to detachment if the egg-crate is damaged in any way. Another issue that was of concern was the "trap-door" effect that is notoriously annoying when you have a full rack of frags. This was remedied by the introduction of the DIY Stablizers; but even this was a semi-crude method as I felt that adding the scraps of egg-crate made the Mag-Racks look like a ghetto-rigged eyesore. Lastly, the strength of the Mag-Rack was addressed as well. I believe that the magnets used in Version 2 were more than sufficient for aquariums in the nano to medium sized tank categories (up to around 1/4 - 3/8" thickness of glass/acrylic or basically under 60 gallons). Even so, I believe that since the Mag-Racks were "trap-dooring" for quite a few customers, the magnets themselves were not strong enough to hold the rack upright without tipping over. Other concerns were the brittle nature of the outer magnets (black epoxy coated), and the ease of their getting scratched and chipped if accidentally allowed to snap together. There were a few other design changes that also irked me as well.

For the faults mentioned above, I have designed a new Version 3 Mag-Rack which will have significant improvements on its predecessor. Most of the issues addressed with Version 2 will be improved upon, and the biggest changes of these are: upgraded internal magnets, built-in stabilizers, more durable materials, all in a brand new style that has been uniquely redesigned. A brand new site layout has also been in the works and will be replacing the old site layout. Besides the information that I have provided above, I can't really give much more information beyond that since these are the latest updates, but I will say that the new version will definitely blow Version 2 clear out of the water.

Lastly, I have been getting quite a few e-mails asking about availability and I can't provide a confirmed release date since there are a few items that I'm waiting on in order to complete Version 3. I can venture a guess to say that the time-frame for purchase will be about 2 months (at the latest - I hope!). But the good news is, I will be revealing pictures and dimensions of the the new design on the website within 1-2 weeks time so that you will be able to get a glimpse of the new style.

Visit the website at Mag-Racks.com sometime after Labor Day to see what's new. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
It's funny, I was just thinking yesterday that I need to order some of these from you...

I need to order some QUICK!!! My frags in the sand would LOVE a new home!!!

The wait is unbearable for me as well! :blush:

One primary reason why the MR3's will NOT be released until October/November of 2008 is because they are still undergoing some extra R&D and product testing finalization prior to release to the public. I want to ensure that everything will be PERFECT prior to release. I hope that justifies for the wait... if you guys have any questions feel free to visit the website for answers or simply send me a PM.

I swear, if you don't sell frag plugs for your awesome mag-racks I'm gonna find your web server and kick it! :lol:

Ah, frag plugs. That's the next step... I promise ;)

You got PM

Got it, I believe it was you who sent the e-mail too (?)

There was a problem with the code, I fixed it and the PRE-ORDER button on the MR2 should be working now. My mistake! :D

Got some of your orders last week... just a reminder that I will start shipping the MR2's on 9/22/08.

The MR3's should be ready soon. I've been getting quite a bit of e-mail/PM's regarding the release date and I will say again that I expect them to be ready by November. If all goes well, maybe sometime during late October. Thanks!

http://www.blackrockreef.com

Archived