SaltCritters.com

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPS20 inspired me. So I added my SPS from my BC14 and raised the lighting to 1.5' above the water surface to better acclimate them to the intense light. Hope I didn't make the switch too early! Water params are perfect though - even calc & alk - so I'm pretty certain they'll be fine. Polyps from the Milli are already showing good extension. Here's some shots taken immediately after I added them to the tank.

ftsA.jpg

ftsB.jpg

fts112007c.jpg

I either need to mess with my camera settings or NEED A NEW ONE. It does well with brilliant white light, but it doesn't take clear pics with the 20k blue. Man, if it's not buying tank gear or corals, it's somethin else! This hobby is so damn expensive (but necessary).

SPS20 inspired me. So I added my SPS from my BC14 and raised the lighting to 1.5' above the water surface to better acclimate them to the intense light. Hope I didn't make the switch too early! Water params are perfect though - even calc & alk - so I'm pretty certain they'll be fine. Polyps from the Milli are already showing good extension. Here's some shots taken immediately after I added them to the tank.

Yay!

Just keep up on the water changes, Ca+ and Alk, use some carbon and you should be fine.

That is a very crisp and clean design. Some of the designs people come up with on this website blow my mind. 75% of my tank, at least, is off-the-shelf gear. My next tank will be fully custom. It will be awhile bofore I can afford it, but I like the idea of building it piece by piece. It just seems gratifying.

Just try to match the light they re getting to what they had where they were before you moved them as close as you can, and you should be fine. (both photoperiod and placement)

Is the light they are under now a higher wattage than before?

Yay!

Just keep up on the water changes, Ca+ and Alk, use some carbon and you should be fine.

That is a very crisp and clean design. Some of the designs people come up with on this website blow my mind. 75% of my tank, at least, is off-the-shelf gear. My next tank will be fully custom. It will be awhile bofore I can afford it, but I like the idea of building it piece by piece. It just seems gratifying.

Just try to match the light they re getting to what they had where they were before you moved them as close as you can, and you should be fine. (both photoperiod and placement)

Is the light they are under now a higher wattage than before?

150W to 250W. I figure I should lower the light 2" per week until it's 10" above the water surface?

150W to 250W. I figure I should lower the light 2" per week until it's 10" above the water surface?

Sounds about right. Only bad things happen fast in reef tanks.

:bowdown:

Wow PU I just caught up on your thread...you have been busy B)

Looks totally awesome in the Kitchen setup!!!!

Question: Is that a Purple and green polyp turbine front back top left??

Ive got a frag of one and isnt growing at all...Under t5HO almost at the top.

How much has that one grown??

Keep up the progress.

Izzue

Izzue, I have 1 that is almost in the shade and it is doing very well. It is in somewhat higher flow.

PU, I would have just fragged those colonies and tried them over in the new tank. It looks great though. Awesome job. That new system looks very promising, although I am not a big fan of overflows that require an air pump. Keep up the good work.

So your wife is ok with the tank sitting on the kitchen island? ..........Im not even allowed to wash my hands in the kitchen sink after i played in the tank........Nor could I have a tank with all that plumbing exposed. You got a good women.......Id keep her.

:bowdown:

Wow PU I just caught up on your thread...you have been busy B)

Looks totally awesome in the Kitchen setup!!!!

Question: Is that a Purple and green polyp turbine front back top left??

Ive got a frag of one and isnt growing at all...Under t5HO almost at the top.

How much has that one grown??

Keep up the progress.

Izzue

Thanks Izzue. It's actually a yellow turbinaria. Not sure if it's related to what you have, but mine has grown 20% in size in roughly 4 months. It's enormous. Last night, I moved it to a sweet niche at the front of the tank on the black sand bed. I'll take more pics when its star-like yellow polyps come out.

Izzue, I have 1 that is almost in the shade and it is doing very well. It is in somewhat higher flow.

PU, I would have just fragged those colonies and tried them over in the new tank. It looks great though. Awesome job. That new system looks very promising, although I am not a big fan of overflows that require an air pump. Keep up the good work.

At first, I thought about fragging em, but then I decided that I didn't want to have to dose BOTH tanks. So I removed all of my SPS from my BC14 and put it in here. Up to this point, the only issue I have with the air pump overflow it that it's BLUE! Thanks for the words or encouragement, Gixxer.

Very nice tank! As I look at all of that unused counter space behind the tank, I can't help but think you have an ideal stand for a 90-P (basically two of this tank set back to back). Or... have you thought about drilling a hole right in the middle of your counter, through the granite for your tubes and wires? :) - LOL...

Ok, I'll stop filling your head with new ways of spending money. Great setup.

So your wife is ok with the tank sitting on the kitchen island? ..........Im not even allowed to wash my hands in the kitchen sink after i played in the tank........Nor could I have a tank with all that plumbing exposed. You got a good women.......Id keep her.

The thing is she is NOT OK with the tank on her kitchen island, but it's compromise. She's compromising by not permitting me to custom install a 2-way 180G monster tank in the entertainment nook of our living room. It's gonna look saweeeet with a 2-way view to-and-from our master bedroom. So that's the compromise. I get to keep the tank on the island as long as I don't spend $20,000 for my custom dream tank. Once that day comes, the island tank goes. That's why I couldn't drill holes right down the center of the granite tops, but rather the back side - hence, the black tubes to blend colors as best as possible as they wind down into the hole. But she has been fantastic, considering I've completely taken over her kitchen. (I do most of the cooking anyway ;)

Very nice tank! As I look at all of that unused counter space behind the tank, I can't help but think you have an ideal stand for a 90-P (basically two of this tank set back to back). Or... have you thought about drilling a hole right in the middle of your counter, through the granite for your tubes and wires? :) - LOL...

Ok, I'll stop filling your head with new ways of spending money. Great setup.

"Or... have you thought about drilling a hole right in the middle of your counter, through the granite for your tubes and wires?" LOL. Great minds think alike! I just mentioned why my wife wouldn't tolerate that in my prior post. But if I were a swinging bachelor? Then the entire living room would be an aquarium and the master bedroom would be the sump room. Realistically speaking though, a 90-P with a built in glass overflow would be RAW. Shoulda woulda coulda...

BTW: Very nice 5G ADA, dapellegrini.

I love this tank.

I want a rimless now!

I think my next tank will have to be rimpless, and i will be bugging the crap out of you guys for construction tips..

BTW.. is your yellow turb pink between the polyps or am i hallucinating? If so, that is one cooool piece!

BTW.. is your yellow turb pink between the polyps or am i hallucinating? If so, that is one cooool piece!
No, more like a brown in between the yellow polyps. When I first bought it, the entire piece was yellow! It's gotta be a captivity thing b/c the LFS' turbinarias also turned brown over time. I'll take a close up later today.
wow man..i love ur tank!! i live only about 2 hours away from you lol..i want to see it in person lol
Haha. Where you from? 2hrs ain't that far, especially since there are easily 3-4 fish stores you'll want to check out while you're up here. Ping me the next time you're in Sac or on your way to Tahoe. I'm sure it'll look better in another 3mos though.

QUESTION! Looking at how you have the sump and auto top off container set up do you think I would be possible to get all that into a 20x20x24 stand? Looks like the dims are 15" x 9" x 20-1/2" h for the sump and a a little shorter for the auto top off...I'm having a 20x20x20 cube built and I'm not finding a lot of standard sump options that I like...or that will fit for that matter. Looks like the added height on the sump comes from the skimmer collection cup but do you think all the return tubes would be a problem since they come straight out from the top?

QUESTION! Looking at how you have the sump and auto top off container set up do you think I would be possible to get all that into a 20x20x24 stand? Looks like the dims are 15" x 9" x 20-1/2" h for the sump and a a little shorter for the auto top off...I'm having a 20x20x20 cube built and I'm not finding a lot of standard sump options that I like...or that will fit for that matter. Looks like the added height on the sump comes from the skimmer collection cup but do you think all the return tubes would be a problem since they come straight out from the top?

Wassup Java. I know you're thinking to have the sump and AFS side by side, making the combined width 18"+. You can easily curl the return tubes to fit, but the main problem I foresee is the AFS connection tube to the sump. It doesn't start to become flexible until 4", so it MIGHT BARELY fit but it could potentially squeeze your auto-fill tube closed. I wouldn't be so quick to say it absolutely won't work though b/c you could cut it shorter to fit just right. Minor adjustment only. (see pic)

afscut.jpg

how's it holding up? any performance updates?

Ok, here's the thing. The skimmer seams to be sensitive to the water level in the sump. WHEN THE WATER LEVEL IS LOW, the skimmer works incredibly well. However, micro bubbles enter the display tank due to the water level in the sump being low. WHEN THE WATER LEVEL IS RIGHT AT THE RECOMMENDED fill line, the micro bubbles immediately disappear but the skimmer stops skimming. At least that's where my theory brings me this morning.

So right now there are no micro bubbles but it's no longer skimming. I'm leaving out of town until Sunday. I'll leave it be until now so I can test the auto-fill unit and skimmer to find out where things are when I return. If it's still not skimming when I get back, I'll probably bring the water level down slowly to find that sweet spot where the skimmer continues to work well with no micro bubbles in the tank. I'm sure that's the problem.

Archived