Top Shelf Aquatics

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

Thanks for the reply purpleup. Let us know how often the filters need cleaning. Drilling isn't an option unfortunately and being as my location is okinawa trying to find things (IE proper algae for the sump/fuge) is fun (sarcastic).

Just keeping my options open.

oh, BTW, I was born and raised in Richmond Cali.. my old man works at the refinery there.

Well in that case, this AIO filter is very low maintenance, especially if you don't use the bio media. I plan on changing carbons once very 2mos and rinsing the floss twice per month.

*I just signed a loan for one of my mortgage clients in Richmond. Great location. Hub to all of the major cities in the Bay Area. How often do you visit your pops in the US?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying this liquid doser by Eheim and adding B-Ionic 2 Part. Anyone have experience or thoughts on using it for daily calc/alk supplementation?

EH3585_1.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well in that case, this AIO filter is very low maintenance, especially if you don't use the bio media. I plan on changing carbons once very 2mos and rinsing the floss twice per month.

sounds good, how has the skimmer been acting? Does it react at a consistent pace or does it need any adjusting? (I use a HOB redsea skimmer that sucks). How has the topoff been working?

*I just signed a loan for one of my mortgage clients in Richmond. Great location. Hub to all of the major cities in the Bay Area. How often do you visit your pops in the US?

We hit #4 most dangerous city in the country! :D I try to take leave every year to visit my family there, my brother is in the Corps and tries as well, easier for him since he is at Pennalton.

My youngest brother is 16 so he keeps our parents busy. lol I dont miss that place but I learned alot about how to stay alive in bad places.

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying this liquid doser by and adding B-Ionic 2 Part. Anyone have experience or thoughts on using it for daily calc/alk supplementation?

Do you mix your water or do you pull water from the bay and treat it? I am wondering if a calcium doser is needed when I use NSW. I put a small and free frag of button polyps into my tank and within an hour they looked happy and better than when they were in the tank at the LFS.

Keep up the updates, they are a huge help since all you hear is negativity towards this filter.

that seems like a pretty sweet product..are you going to get 2 or just 1 and mix the bionic together?

keith

That was my next question. Is it safe to mix the two together? If so, I'd still buy 2 anyway. One for this tank and another for my BC14. There is a nice spot for it to rest on top of my overflow box. It does up to 8 x 1ml doses per day I think, which is perfect.

sounds good, how has the skimmer been acting? Does it react at a consistent pace or does it need any adjusting? (I use a HOB redsea skimmer that sucks). How has the topoff been working?

We hit #4 most dangerous city in the country! :D I try to take leave every year to visit my family there, my brother is in the Corps and tries as well, easier for him since he is at Pennalton.

My youngest brother is 16 so he keeps our parents busy. lol I dont miss that place but I learned alot about how to stay alive in bad places.

Do you mix your water or do you pull water from the bay and treat it? I am wondering if a calcium doser is needed when I use NSW. I put a small and free frag of button polyps into my tank and within an hour they looked happy and better than when they were in the tank at the LFS.

Keep up the updates, they are a huge help since all you hear is negativity towards this filter.

Skimmer works well, considering it's only 3 days old, especially with the lack of sufficient protein build up in the collection cup. Unlike my old CPR backpack skimmer, where I had to constantly adjust the air flow and height of the cup to get it to skim right, this thing skims at almost any air setting.

I mix my own salt using RO/DI from the LFS. I can barely keep up with the calcium needs of my other tank, even when I dose my new water before weekly changes. Right now I do it manually with periodic testing of params. This gets old quick. An accurate doser is definitely a must.

I'm still experimenting with the filter, adjusting water levels, height of the overflow, return flow rate, etc. One thing I didn't mention before was that I made the size of the return bulkhead smaller - down to 3/4" from 1 1/8". I was trying to compensate for the reduced return flow caused by using a HydorFlo at the return spout. I worry that gradually, overnight possibly, the rate of water entering the sump is *slower* than the rate at which it comes back into the tank through the HydorFlo - causing it to overflow. So I've been cutting off the auto-fill system (AFS) at night to minimize the chance this might happen. Just paranoid I suppose, until I get more confidence in the new system. I might take a risk tonight and keep the AFS line open. Oh another thing, the AFS works by gravity not activated sensors like JBJ's ATO, so there is no emergency kill switch. If something goes wrong, the AFS will continue to add freshwater until the water level matches that of the sump. Confusing? It's kinda difficult for me to explain.

Thank you very much. This high maintenance ADA tank just become fully automated. Topping off alone was a pain in the a$$. Most servicing is now done below the cabinet. Less mess! Overall, I am very very pleased with the Rapids Pro PS4 - so far. The protein skimmer has yet to prove its worth.

rpdone9.jpg

BTW: That 7UP bottle collects the gunk from the protein skimmer. So far no gunk.

I will try and keep you posted when the new black one comes out. I might be able to send one your way at no charge but can not promiss anything just yet.

I will try and keep you posted when the new black one comes out. I might be able to send one your way at no charge but can not promiss anything just yet.

HOW CAN I SAY NO TO THAT!

A black/clear overflow would look mint.

HOW CAN I SAY NO TO THAT!

A black/clear overflow would look mint.

how has the overflow been functioning? Your review is giving the sump vs this filter decision for my setup a good run. I gotta think now of ease of use and overall stability.

another forum had mentioned a downside of using a pump for the syphoning on the overflow. I believe he was worried that it would continue pumping... of course he was one of the "never used it but dont like it" types.

I first saw this unit for sale for 350,000 yen.. about 340 dollars! :slap:

how has the overflow been functioning? Your review is giving the sump vs this filter decision for my setup a good run. I gotta think now of ease of use and overall stability.

another forum had mentioned a downside of using a pump for the syphoning on the overflow. I believe he was worried that it would continue pumping... of course he was one of the "never used it but dont like it" types.

I first saw this unit for sale for 350,000 yen.. about 340 dollars! :slap:

Now you can get it for almost half as much. Overflow takes in a whole lot of water for my 25G, which I certainly don't have a problem with. It doesn't skim as much water from the surface as I'd like, but the HydoFlo attached to the return spout directs varying current towards the top - so that's ok. Stability can only be proven with time. As long as my setup is running, I'll be updating this thread. Thanks for making discussion easier by posting useful replies.

Left Coast DJ

This is an awesome thread. I'm getting ready to set-up my first ADA reef tank - a 60P. I too don't want to deal with a sump because of flooding issues and kids being able to open the cabinets and play with sump equipment. I did consider setting up a sump with a couple of control switches from http://www.autotopoff.com/ to turn the pumps off if there's a power outage. However, after a lot flip-flopping, I think I'm going with a Tunze Reefpack 200, which is similar in size to an overflow box. However, most of it will reside inside the tank.

This is an awesome thread. I'm getting ready to set-up my first ADA reef tank - a 60P. I too don't want to deal with a sump because of flooding issues and kids being able to open the cabinets and play with sump equipment. I did consider setting up a sump with a couple of control switches from http://www.autotopoff.com/ to turn the pumps off if there's a power outage. However, after a lot flip-flopping, I think I'm going with a Tunze Reefpack 200, which is similar in size to an overflow box. However, most of it will reside inside the tank.

The 60P is nice. I actually bought a 60H at first and had it delivered to my doorstep with a hairline scratch on the front face. When I took it to San Francisco for an exchange, I decided on this 45C instead.

The Tunze Reefpack 200 looks interesting. It mounts anywhere against the glass with a magnet holder. Hmmm, I don't know. You may want to reconsider the Rapids Pro. On sale it's the same price and you get more. After having used this product for the past 3 days, I gotta tell you it solved so many of my problems. The only additional hardware in my tank now is the overflow and a Koralia 1 pump. It's really the next best thing to drilling holes, and we all know you can't drill ADA tanks. As far as the kids tampering with the equipment, this unit is self-contained with all functioning components inside, except the protein skimmer air pump. Water is visible but not exposed. There's not much for them to mess with.

Left Coast DJ

I came very close to getting the Rapids Pro. In fact, if not the Tunze, I will go with the Rapids. My concerns with the Rapids is the nitrate production because of the canister filter action, and I think Tunze may have a better protein skimmer. Again, these are all theoretical stuff I'm trying to figure out since I own neither. So far all I have is the 60P and a 70W Sunpod.

I came very close to getting the Rapids Pro. In fact, if not the Tunze, I will go with the Rapids. My concerns with the Rapids is the nitrate production because of the canister filter action, and I think Tunze may have a better protein skimmer. Again, these are all theoretical stuff I'm trying to figure out since I own neither. So far all I have is the 60P and a 70W Sunpod.

Let me know if you have any questions about how this works. It's unlike a canister, but more like a wet/dry sump, in that the water level in the unit is only 3" from the bottom at all times - not all the way to the top like you would think. So water runs or more like drips from the top through any filter media of your liking. I removed the bio media, and used a carbon bag instead. Pretty cool. My heater is in the 3rd compartment and the probe for my digital thermometer is submerged next to the protein skimmer. The compartments are easy to remove and the system doesn't even need to be shut down to pull them out. Anyhow, good luck with your system. Send me a link to your thread once it's live.

not to but into the conversation but it seems like the Tunze Reefpack 200 could work for me..i was readin that it is for tanks between 10 and 50 gallons..if anyone has it let me know if u think it would be to much flow

keith

not to but into the conversation but it seems like the Tunze Reefpack 200 could work for me..i was readin that it is for tanks between 10 and 50 gallons..if anyone has it let me know if u think it would be to much flow

keith

No prob, Keith. Would you put it in your fuge? if not, you'd have to rescape your display tank. Perhaps a HOB with integrated skimmer might look better?

please don't take this the wrong way, but that's the sexiest tubing i've ever seen. :wub:

Haha. I thought so too. Bought it @ Home Depot. It even reads, "USE FOR: Fish Tanks DO NOT USE FOR: Ice Dispensers."

So I've been thinking about corals lately (go figure) - the SPS variety - and I figure I'm still a couple of months out until I can add any to my tank. The soft corals in the tank right now are just ornamental place holders until the SPS take over. Can anyone tell me when my tank might have enough stability to add some nice acropora frags? Can I slowly add some now? Tank is just about 2mos old. Or should my live rock be covered with coralline first? Not really an SPS guy, but I'm tryin to become one. Advice?

Some SPS from my BC14 that I'm thinking about transferring to this ADA. Just not sure when I should. 250W of HQI lighting is so much more powerful than the 150W in my other tank.

milli1.jpg

milli2.jpg

purpleacro1.jpg

purpleacro2.jpg

purpleacro3.jpg

i have heard wait about 2 months..some say longer..i actually just got a birdsnst, monti cap and some random stag yesterday for my tank..i have them just in the sand right now farthest fromthe light to help them get aclimated..soo hopefully it will be ok..hah i was reading bluebastion thread and he was adding sps at like 1.5 months and his are doin well..so we will see

So I've been thinking about corals lately (go figure) - the SPS variety - and I figure I'm still a couple of months out until I can add any to my tank. The soft corals in the tank right now are just ornamental place holders until the SPS take over. Can anyone tell me when my tank might have enough stability to add some nice acropora frags? Can I slowly add some now? Tank is just about 2mos old. Or should my live rock be covered with coralline first? Not really an SPS guy, but I'm tryin to become one. Advice?

I love the tank, and am particularly impressed with your old BC14 thread. That thing is absolutely gorgeous. I am especially intrigued by the pro-rapids sump setup. Seems like a really nice unit, and a great solution for smaller tanks. I'm a little sceptical about the protein skimmer that comes with it, however. Seems like it might be a tad underpowered. Regardless, for a tank as small as yours, I doubt it will matter much.

My tank has almost no new coralline growth and sustains SPS quite well. Coralline algaes don't usually do as well with brighter light, and really grow best in the presence of calcium gluconates, something SPSes really don't require. (If you want to grow crazy coralline, think lots of actinic lighting and use seachem reef calcium or some other product that contains calcium gluconate. Regardless, these are not things SPSes really need much of, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Judging from your tank pics, and the success of your BC14, I would say you are certainly meticulous and consistent enough in your maintenence routine to keep SPS without a problem. Here are some things to think about regarding SPS husbandry:

1: Stability. SPS are less tolerant of change than softies. Better to have less than ideal parameters that don't change much than parameters that fluctuate alot, but average closer to ideal, if you know what i mean. Especially focus on keeping your temp and salinity stable. These two are relatively easy to test for and control, and changes in temp and salinity that wouldn't even stress a softie visibly could really hurt some SPS corals. The ATO system that comes with your sump setup should help with that. Seems like a neat feature.

2: Calcium and Carbonates. You will find that as you add hard corals to your tank, especially SPS, your calcium and Alk demand will skyrocket. Don't underestimate this, especially in a small tank packed with SPS. I personally love the 2-part additives like B-ionic. Calcium reactors are better. Don't use kalkwasser unless you monitor your pH and magnesium levels. Heavy Kalk use tends to deplete Mg, and can easily send your pH through the roof in a small tank. However, it is a great way to keep your Ca+ and Alk levels up there if you understand the possible problems that can occur with misuse.

3: Nutrients. Nitrates and phosphates should be kept as low as is humanly possible. Some softies seem to like slightly elevated nutrient levels. Most SPS definitely do not. Skimming, water changes, and natural denitrification (algaes, DSB) are all very helpful.

4: Light. You seem to have plenty of light in your tank, imo. I would take into consideration that shallow-water SPS tend to get light that is less blue than deeper water softies in the wild. 10K bulbs tend to get faster growth in my experience vs. 20k bulbs. This doesn't mean they don't won't do fine under bluer light, they will, its just not what many of them get in the wild.

5: Allelopathy. Read about it. Its less of a concern for softie tanks, but once you start mixing hard and soft corals, it becomes an issue. Some SPSes will exhibit stunted growth, poor coloration, or even bleaching in the presence of certain compounds released by leathers, zoanthus, mushrooms, etc. Consider using activated carbon if you don't already, maybe even poly filters. Agressive skimming and Large frequent water changes help too. If you are planning on keeping all hard corals, it becomes almost a non-issue, as hard corals tend to deal with their turf wars in a more visible manner, i.e., by stinging the living crap out of each other. Mixed tanks are more difficult than dedicated softie tanks or dedicated SPS tanks.

6. Water flow. As i'm sure you already know, SPSes thrive in water current that would irritate or even kill softies.

7. Feeding. SPSes can do fine without eating directly, but they really thrive and show their best colors if you are feeding them regularly. I use cyclops-eeze and oyster eggs soaked in selcon, squirted into the branches of my SPS every other day. Feeding isn't strictly neccessary with most SPS, but a well fed animal is more forgiving of other sins than a hungry animal.

I'm sure you knew most of this already, but hell, it couldn't hurt to type it out here for everyone's benefit. I don't mean to make it sound hard to keep SPSes, it really isn't hard at all. I have been keeping SPS for 15 years, and many of them tolerate quite a bit of neglect and abuse. They just have slightly different needs than soft corals.

-Josh

Josh. WOW. I'm gonna to refer to your comments for my daily dose of SPS do's and don'ts. I do appreciate the time you spent on that reply. I'm sure others will benefit from it as well. Your point about Allelopathy was especially interesting. I'll have to look up more info on it. That's quite a bit of good information from someone who's been keeping SPS for 15+ years. I may be tapping your brain in the near future once I am ready to begin colonizing my tank. Thanks again.

Archived