inTank Media Baskets

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

A continuous siphon overflow filter (to 'feed' a sump that contains whatever other devices [skimmer, heater, etc.] you want to incorporate) should work.

There has to be some electrical outlet control device that would prevent the return pump in the sump from coming on after a power outage and then the worst that would happen would be for a small amount of water to drain into the sump (and the sump should be designed/purchased to easily hold extra water specifically for this reason).

There are all sorts of method for people doing this in safe fashions, look it up or get help from someone else here. Having only the sump overflow box hanging on the side of the tank and the return lines from the sump directing flow into the tank would eliminate the vast majority of the clutter in/on the tank and help it look the way that you want.

You've got my attention. "There has to be some electrical outlet control device that would prevent the return pump in the sump from coming on after a power outage." Does anyone know of such a device?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got my attention. "There has to be some electrical outlet control device that would prevent the return pump in the sump from coming on after a power outage." Does anyone know of such a device?

I spent about two hours tonight googling to find something pre-made that does this but had no luck. It is such a simple concept that I am sure it has already been made and if it wasn't someone in the community has already or could surely put something together.

I spent about two hours tonight googling to find something pre-made that does this but had no luck. It is such a simple concept that I am sure it has already been made and if it wasn't someone in the community has already or could surely put something together.

Thanks for the serious effort. Maybe I'll post a general question about this. Hopefully a fellow nano-reefer can point me in the right direction. If I can find a pump driven overflow - where the siphon will not stop, AND a fail safe return pump for black outs - I just might do it.

Thanks for the serious effort. Maybe I'll post a general question about this. Hopefully a fellow nano-reefer can point me in the right direction. If I can find a pump driven overflow - where the siphon will not stop, AND a fail safe return pump for black outs - I just might do it.

It doesn't address a restart-proof return pump but it addresses most other sump related questions in a reasonably comprehensive (and comprehensible) fashion -

http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/overflows_sumps.php

Good luck. :)

http://www.tomaquarium.com/press/proseries...lish/index.html

this is the continuous siphon overflow system im going with. it prevents flooding via the aqualifter on the overflow. i started a thread askin peoples opinions about it. you can find that here.

this system incorporates a canister and wet/dry...it also comes with a built-in skimmer. you can get the system with or without the auto-top off.

It doesn't address a restart-proof return pump but it addresses most other sump related questions in a reasonably comprehensive (and comprehensible) fashion -

http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/overflows_sumps.php

Good luck. :)

Thank you much. I'll give it a good read. Right now I'm leaning a bit towards an outside canister with glass tubes for overall simplicity. But I gotta admit, running a sump would allow me to operate a nice protein skimmer for the system - not to mention I'd have a place to properly dose without having various tubes running to and from the tank. The primary issue I'd have with a siphon type of overflow is the real possibility of water OVERFLOWING onto my hard wood kitchen floor! If only a company would come up with a purely mechanical solution, I'd be set. Even better would be if a company has already made such a device, and all I need to do is simply discover it.

im not sure how much room you have but this thing is only like 15"x9"x26" i think. the return is actually on the overflow box itself too...so you only have one compact unit hanging on the back of your tank. i really like this system. its entirely self contained. you can also fit a heater in one of the compartments as well.

its on sale right now at drsfostersmith for $180. You can pick it up with the ATO for only $20 more which i think is entirely worth it if you have the room.

its only on sale until the 16th though. ill be ordering mine this week.

heres the drsfostersmith link

http://www.tomaquarium.com/press/proseries...lish/index.html

this is the continuous siphon overflow system im going with. it prevents flooding via the aqualifter on the overflow. i started a thread askin peoples opinions about it. you can find that here.

this system incorporates a canister and wet/dry...it also comes with a built-in skimmer. you can get the system with or without the auto-top off.

I checked out the demo. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR. How much does it cost and where can it be purchased online?

see my post above homie ^

You read my mind, partner. I'm looking for a tape measure now. 9" might be a little too wide. Hopefully, I can make it work.

my LFS was sent one for free for testing and trial. they still use it to this day. they seem to like it and said it works really well. of course its not this. But for the $180 price tag i think its a steal. they also said that theyve never had any problems with it not stopping or starting back up. i was acutally there a few weeks ago during a storm and the power went out 3 times. it stopped and started right back up every time. thats when i started researching it. i measured it in the store and got roughly 14"x8 1/4"x25 1/2". i was stoked when i found out it all fit neatly under my stand. if you read my thread you can see how excited i was that this system fulfilled my OCD about things being neat and concealed. :P

my LFS was sent one for free for testing and trial. they still use it to this day. they seem to like it and said it works really well. of course its not this. But for the $180 price tag i think its a steal. they also said that theyve never had any problems with it not stopping or starting back up. i was acutally there a few weeks ago during the storm and the power went out 3 times. it stopped and started right back up. thats when i started researching it.i measured it in the store and got roughly 14"x8 1/4"x25 1/2". i was stoked when i found out it all fit neatly under my stand. if you read my thread you can see how excited i was that this system fulfilled my OCD about things being neat and concealed. :P
Awwww Yiah, it's actually 15" x 9" x 20-1/2" h and it'll fit in my lower cabinet just like a glove. I'm getting it. That's all there is to it. Only problem I see with it so far is that it's BLUE! Black would be cleaner IMO. But beggars can't be choosers, and it offers exactly what my system needs. SPS corals will dig on that protein skimming BIG TIME. Thanks for the recommendation. And my wife said this board was a waste of time! She'll never understand why I do the things I do. (now how do I make this purchase undetected?)

One more question for you siwelk, is that gonna be too much flow for my 25G tank?

im by no means an expert, but after head loss your probably gonna be looking at roughly 500gph on the return. i know you want to shoot for 40-60x flow in your tank esp. with sps. so youre still gonna want another probably 1000gph via powerheads

yeah i feel you on the black, id much rather have that than the blue. but the blue is actually starting to grow on me. my tank is painted black on the back and i think the blue might be a neat contrast. i feel you on the signifcant other thing too. my girlfriend is always sayin "you have a forum for you car, and you have a forum for your fish" everytime you buy something new you have a forum. i said baby if they had a forum for asian women who get pissed at me for how i spend my time/money id be all over it too. :P

yeah i feel you on the black, id much rather have that than the blue. but the blue is actually starting to grow on me. my tank is painted black on the back and i think the blue might be a neat contrast. i feel you on the signifcant other thing too. my girlfriend is always sayin "you have a forum for you car, and you have a forum for your fish" everytime you buy something new you have a forum. i said baby if they had a forum for asian women who get pissed at me for how i spend my time/money id be all over it too. :P
LOL!@#!
Thats a cool system $199 get the auto fill also with it.
Oh yeah, absolutely. With an integrated ATO, that's a nice add-on for only $20. So far, I've been topping off manually. I wonder if this unit will allow the tank to be filled as close to the rim as possible.

OK. So I know it's not the most attractive system in the world, but if offers everything I've been hoping for in a filter - for only $200. I may want to swap the intake and return tubes to clear vs. blue. With this filter solution, the only components that will remain INSIDE the tank will be the Koralia 1, MJ1200, and the overflow unit. Much cleaner. BLACK would be my preference if I had a choice.

Obviously, the overflow will be exposed but the rest of the components will be hidden away inside the cabinet.

lg-29766-39463-fish-filter.jpg

What do you think? Should I buy it? Comments would be appreciated.

good luck getting anyone to comment on this filter, ive yet to have anyone on here or RC comment on my thread about it...i guess im just gonna wing it and go at it alone. ill be ordering mine this week. im not gonna be setting up my tank until i move though (July) so I wont be able to give you any feeback on how it performs.

good luck getting anyone to comment on this filter, ive yet to have anyone on here or RC comment on my thread about it...i guess im just gonna wing it and go at it alone. ill be ordering mine this week. im not gonna be setting up my tank until i move though (July) so I wont be able to give you any feeback on how it performs.

Alright, it's just you and me then. I should have mine up and running the day it arrives. I'll order it via the link you sent me before the end of this week. Then I'll circle back with you and let you know how it performs.

awesome...im glad theres someone else willing to take the leap of faith wtih me. i hope it works out for you and i look forward to hearing about the results :happydance:

awesome...im glad theres someone else willing to take the leap of faith wtih me. i hope it works out for you and i look forward to hearing about the results :happydance:

We'll soon find out how reliable the start-stop feature works, and just how well the air-stone protein skimmer performs. Those two things would be of greatest concern. For $200, loaded with stuff my filtration lacks now, it's definitely worth the risk. Maybe I'll even order it today.

Archived