25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
patiently waiting...

its sunday so theres no excuse for not getting this thing set up

woot! :D

You kidding me? I opened the box the minute it arrived! I wouldn't be a reef addict otherwise. There was a big local poker tournament up here last night- $150 Buy-In, and I was late by 20mins due to having to set up the system 1st. haha. Ended up at the final table and lost with pocket JJs for 6th place. Got my prize money and raced home and stayed up until 3:30am calibrating the water levels. THIS SYSTEM IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS IT LOOKS. Be prepared to make errors (overflowing the tank, overfilling the sump, correcting the overflow height) before you get this right. I almost chucked the damn thing out the door last night when the tank kept overflowing onto the hardwood floors. No worries. I am ok now :) Pics speak for themselves...

rp1.jpg

rp2a.jpg

rp2.jpg

rp3.jpg

rp4.jpg

rp5.jpg

rp6.jpg

Taking off now to Home Depot for CLEAR or BLACK overflow and return piping. Glad to say the filter functions great! The components are of much higher quality than expected for $200. I cut power and "rebooted" 10+ times so far without fail. But the blue look is AWFUL. At this time I am too embarrassed to show pics of the actual overflow and return. Hopefully, the display tank starts to look better as the day progresses...

aww man, that sucks. i love pocket JJs, almost as much as pocket deuces. glad you got it all setup. it looks to be working well. i agree that the blue isn't very aesthetically pleasing but it seems to be functioning well. i didnt know it was so difficult to calibrate though. it seems like it should be easy to get running but i now know that is not the case. nice pics! cant wait to see how its running after a few weeks. hopefully you can do something to make it easier on your eyes. let us know how that skimmer works, which is what ive heard the most negative comments about.

looks good! keep us posted.

now over to drsfostersmith.com to see if its still on sale. hmmm.

aww man, that sucks. i love pocket JJs, almost as much as pocket deuces. glad you got it all setup. it looks to be working well. i agree that the blue isn't very aesthetically pleasing but it seems to be functioning well. i didnt know it was so difficult to calibrate though. it seems like it should be easy to get running but i now know that is not the case. nice pics! cant wait to see how its running after a few weeks. hopefully you can do something to make it easier on your eyes. let us know how that skimmer works, which is what ive heard the most negative comments about.

looks good! keep us posted.

now over to drsfostersmith.com to see if its still on sale. hmmm.

I think this just might work out. The blue return tubing has been replaced with slick black vinyl and now runs cleanly and nicely up from the cabinet below. Even the return spout was fitted with a Hydor Flo, so I can now do without the MJ1200 - since this RapidsPro has quite sufficient pump power. Bio Media it came with was removed and replaced with filter pad from PetsMart. And the heater now fits in the 3rd media chamber of the wet/dry. Digital thermometer reads from the sump. Definitely more room in the tank! Only the Koralia1 and inside overflow box can be seen from the front and sides.

Trial and error. I bought the incorrect sized overflow tubing. Going back to HD...

Project is almost complete. Will post pics when finished.

hey purpleup, got any new pics of your tank?(a new fts perhaps?)

Here you go, Krayon!

rpdone1.jpg

INCREDIBLY happy now with this setup. The "aqua-lifter" pump was mounted on the back of the overflow instead of hanging it next to it on the tank. Conceals it much better. Black vinyl tubes curl very nicely down into the cabinet.

rpdone2.jpg

rpdone3.jpg

Only the Hydor Flo and Koralia1 are visible inside the tank. So much more room for SPS corals to flourish.

rpdone5.jpg

Water hasn't cleared up yet. Filter was just powered up. I've been shutting down and restarting the system to test how flood proof it really is.

rpdone6.jpg

rpdone7.jpg

rpdone8.jpg

See my BC14 in the background.

simply amazing B)

Thank you very much. This high maintenance ADA tank just become fully automated. Topping off alone was a pain in the a$$. Most servicing is now done below the cabinet. Less mess! Overall, I am very very pleased with the Rapids Pro PS4 - so far. The protein skimmer has yet to prove its worth.

rpdone9.jpg

BTW: That 7UP bottle collects the gunk from the protein skimmer. So far no gunk.

once the skimmer gets "dialed-in" im sure youll start to see some nasty stuff show up in your cup. that setup looks really nice! im diggin the black vinyl tubing...much better than the blue. im really startin to think i need to order that ps4 next payday.

very nice man..im def looking forward to see how it starts working..if you are happy with it i might have to get one for myself hah..i do hate topping off 20oz of water ed sucks!

keith

very nice man..im def looking forward to see how it starts working..if you are happy with it i might have to get one for myself hah..i do hate topping off 20oz of water ed sucks!

keith

Tx. Yeah, I'll keep posting performance updates. Do you want one for your 10gal? or do you have another?

I am esp. curious about the flow rate and the skimmer.

This thing is supposed to move 1k gph... which is great for my 55gal.. maybe that is why you are having a hard time with the smaller tanks (ok I'll admit I am not a nano reefer, but I am a Nor*Cal boy... Richmond born and raised, stationed in okinawa!)

Reviews prior had given the skimmer a hit but most people post reviews of things a day or two after having it.

I am esp. curious about the flow rate and the skimmer.

This thing is supposed to move 1k gph... which is great for my 55gal.. maybe that is why you are having a hard time with the smaller tanks (ok I'll admit I am not a nano reefer, but I am a Nor*Cal boy... Richmond born and raised, stationed in okinawa!)

Reviews prior had given the skimmer a hit but most people post reviews of things a day or two after having it.

You're right. This thing can definitely move water. You can tell just by the size and weight of its pump. It creates s a rhythmic wave at the surface of my tank, just like the ocean. It made me remove my MJ1200, which caused heavy currents as well. Both of them together actually pushed water over the lip of the tank! I think it would do fine for a 55G.

The protein skimmer is using an air stone, but the pump for that is powerful too. I'll keep the air setting the way it is for the next several days before I make any adjustments. My tank is less than 2 mos old, so I'm not sure how much gunk is in there to begin with for the skimmer to remove. We shall see...

ya it would be for my 10 gallon tank...from the sounds of it..do you think it may to much strength for a 10 gallon tank?

keith

yup. a little too much flow for a 10g. you may want to pick up a simple auto top-off unit for it so you won't have to add water every day. For my BC14, I use JBJ's A.T.O. with 2 sensors in my tank. One for a top-off trigger and another for shut-off, to prevent the tank from overflowing if the 1st sensor fails. For a 10g, a simple HOB and 10-15% weekly water changes will do the trick.

I got skim action after 1 day. Looks promising. It's difficult to tell from the photo - since the collection cup instantly empties through the tube and into a 2-Liter 7UP bottle - but the foam is nice and dry.

skimaction.jpg

wow the overflow inside the tank seems to take very little space up very nice! Doesnt look as cluttered without the maxijet, filter + surface skimmer, good move aesthetically

Gosh Randy, I'm speechless, your tank is CLEAN!!! i think the filter system was a good choice, it's barely visible from the front and it doesnt take anything away from the focal point. GOOD CHOICE!! B)

wow the overflow inside the tank seems to take very little space up very nice! Doesnt look as cluttered without the maxijet, filter + surface skimmer, good move aesthetically

I really appreciate that. Constructive comments from this thread are what made me switch out. If it weren't for siwelk, I wouldn't have found out about this new product in the first place. You are so right. Not only is it not as cluttered, but it adds plenty more space for corals. The new filter and powerful protein skimmer has given me more confidence to stock the tank with rare, hard-to-keep SPS. I'll need to mod it a bit to integrate a drip doser for calc and alk. At last, the hardware is done for the most part, and I can now focus on maintaining water quality and coral selection.

Tx for the words of encouragement, Patty. Can't wait for those blue tubs. They're going in the BC14 though.

crash, if it isn't too difficult for you to drill your tank, I'd say go with a full blown sump. You'll have way more flexibility and added water volume. It just doesn't get any cleaner than a closed-loop system with no visible pumps inside. Now if you CANNOT DRILL, but need to settle for a hang-on overflow instead, this is the simplest/cheapest way to do it. Most importantly, you can sleep at night or leave your home for a few days without worrying about your home flooding.

BTW: Does anyone have any recommendations for a good low-cost dosing system?

Thanks for the reply purpleup. Let us know how often the filters need cleaning. Drilling isn't an option unfortunately and being as my location is okinawa trying to find things (IE proper algae for the sump/fuge) is fun (sarcastic).

Just keeping my options open.

oh, BTW, I was born and raised in Richmond Cali.. my old man works at the refinery there.

Archived