Cultivated Reef

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

I have a nigh overpowering urge to do what you are doing now. I think my next tank will be very similar to yours, except I really want to experiment with the Zeovit method. Go for that filter and let me know how it works out. I've wanted to run a sump on my 20h for so long.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a nigh overpowering urge to do what you are doing now. I think my next tank will be very similar to yours, except I really want to experiment with the Zeovit method. Go for that filter and let me know how it works out. I've wanted to run a sump on my 20h for so long.

DONE. Complete filtration system with AFS (Auto Fill System) should arrive within 7 days. Stay tuned...

BTW: Anyone wanna buy my RENA HOB filtration with surface skimmer, integrated heater, and NEW replacement carbons? $60 plus shipping and it's all yours. Spent over $135 for the stuff at Petsmart and it's only 1mo old. Check the early part of this thread for more details on the gear. Anyhow, this is the last time I'll mention it. Otherwise I'll use it for additional filtration whenever the tank gets really messy.

haha, sweet. can i be vice president? i dont want any other responsibilities other than going on hunting trips and shooting my fellow hunters. :D

I just ordered mine today. Went to my LFS again yesterday to watch it in action. I think for the price its worth a try. If nothin else im sure you can make your $$ back on eBay. I wish I didnt have to wait to set it up until next summer, but it will be such a hassle to have to tear it all down and move. i hope it works out for those of you who will be using it soon. theres a guy over on RC who was asking about it too. i told him about this thread and offered my advice. of course he got a lot a negative responses from people over there. my experience with most people on RC is that unless youre willing to spend hella money on every component of your system youre not doing it right. i remember when i started a thread asking about a Nova Extreme T5HO fixture I was thinking about. I made it clear that my lighting budget was about $250. They repeatedly told me that the Nova was no good and I should get a TEK or Aquatinic fixture. Even after repeated attempts to reiterate the fact that my budget would not accommodate those high dollar fixtures, I was then told that if i didnt have the funds to support his hobby maybe I should reconsider. WTF? that didnt help me at all. instead of getting real advice and help I basically got called out for not being financially capable of purchasing thousands of dollars worth of equipment. no one seems to stray very far from what everyone else is doing, which is kinda why i like to try something that hasnt really been tried before. someone has to be the guinea pig. and why i also do most of my posting here at nano-reef. its not full of a bunch of 200g+ owners who have an unlimited supply of money and think that if you cant ball like them your saltwater ambitions are unfounded. anyways, for those interested you can check his thread out here.

Go forth and prosper brave Rapids Pro purchasers. I look to join you in the near future!

haha, sweet. can i be vice president? i dont want any other responsibilities other than going on hunting trips and shooting my fellow hunters. :D

I just ordered mine today. Went to my LFS again yesterday to watch it in action. I think for the price its worth a try. If nothin else im sure you can make your $$ back on eBay. I wish I didnt have to wait to set it up until next summer, but it will be such a hassle to have to tear it all down and move. i hope it works out for those of you who will be using it soon. theres a guy over on RC who was asking about it too. i told him about this thread and offered my advice. of course he got a lot a negative responses from people over there. my experience with most people on RC is that unless youre willing to spend hella money on every component of your system youre not doing it right. i remember when i started a thread asking about a Nova Extreme T5HO fixture I was thinking about. I made it clear that my lighting budget was about $250. They repeatedly told me that the Nova was no good and I should get a TEK or Aquatinic fixture. Even after repeated attempts to reiterate the fact that my budget would not accommodate those high dollar fixtures, I was then told that if i didnt have the funds to support his hobby maybe I should reconsider. WTF? that didnt help me at all. instead of getting real advice and help I basically got called out for not being financially capable of purchasing thousands of dollars worth of equipment. no one seems to stray very far from what everyone else is doing, which is kinda why i like to try something that hasnt really been tried before. someone has to be the guinea pig. and why i also do most of my posting here at nano-reef. its not full of a bunch of 200g+ owners who have an unlimited supply of money and think that if you cant ball like them your saltwater ambitions are unfounded. anyways, for those interested you can check his thread out here.

Go forth and prosper brave Rapids Pro purchasers. I look to join you in the near future!

So I read the thread along with the links of the other threads throughout. Interesting comments made about the overall quality of the Rapids Pro, and the suggestions to build your own sump instead. I too would prefer to build my own custom sump if only I could drill this ADA tank. B/c I can't, this filter offers one of the only solutions out there to run a sump with a hang-on overflow without having to worry about power outages and coming home to a flooded home. Presently, I can't run a protein skimmer unless I hang one off the back of the rimless tank, but that would be unsightly for one and secondly, the silicone might not hold so much weight. Although the integrated protein skimmer might be inferior to a competing stand-alone product, simply b/c it comes with it, I'll take it! If the start/stop feature proves to work well, I'm sure the sump can later be modded for larger water volume and a high-performance skimmer. Again, IMO $200 for a sump, protein skimmer, ATO, and automatic overflow definitely works for my budget.

So I read the thread along with the links of the other threads throughout. Interesting comments made about the overall quality of the Rapids Pro, and the suggestions to build your own sump instead. I too would prefer to build my own custom sump if only I could drill this ADA tank. B/c I can't, this filter offers one of the only solutions out there to run a sump with a hang-on overflow without having to worry about power outages and coming home to a flooded home. Presently, I can't run a protein skimmer unless I hang one off the back of the rimless tank, but that would be unsightly for one and secondly, the silicone might not hold so much weight. Although the integrated protein skimmer might be inferior to a competing stand-alone product, simply b/c it comes with it, I'll take it! If the start/stop feature proves to work well, I'm sure the sump can later be modded for larger water volume and a high-performance skimmer. Again, IMO $200 for a sump, protein skimmer, ATO, and automatic overflow definitely works for my budget.

word B)

Can't beat the perfromance you get for the price for a lot of stuff like this. I remember hearing from a lot of people that the Coralife Super Skimmer was crap before I purchased it. For something under $100, it's outstanding. I pull lots of dark skimmate. Be sure to post pics once you get the new filter setup.

I dont get it :huh: how does that canister/filter/ato/skimmer serve as a sump too? did i miss something? sounds too good to be true :o

P.S. Randy you sprouted a new baby this morning!! :D

I dont get it :huh: how does that canister/filter/ato/skimmer serve as a sump too? did i miss something? sounds too good to be true :o

P.S. Randy you sprouted a new baby this morning!! :D

Hey Patty. Nice to hear my blue tubs are doing well! (Patty picked up some sweet blue zoas for me this weekend)

The "Rapid Pro" is quite a bit more than a traditional canister, in that it has a wet/dry filter, skimmer, overflow, ato, spot for a heater, etc. A sump is nothing more than an extra water containment area, which this little unit certainly provides - although it may not have as much sump volume as one would typically want. I hope it's not too good to be true. We'll soon find out soon enough. I'll post pics of the complete setup, skimmer and all, once it gets delivered to my door.

post-27594-1194988200_thumb.jpg

I cant wait to see it!! hope it works out well with your new setup. I'm curious b/c i've been wanting a sump and ato for my 29g of course it's not drilled..so this seems like the perfect solution. Since i set my tank up i've been running it with the Rena XP1 xtra carbon/nitrate absorbers and chaeto in the tank (that occasionally floats around all over the place LOL!) So far so good, no excess algae blooms but i do get slight cyano in areas throughout.

Please keep us updated !!

I was the guy that got smashed about the Toms Aquatics filter over on RC... man those guys definitely are believers in their methods! :D

you guys let me know how yours run huh?!

Please let me know what you think of the filter and the way the units come in. I work for the company and I would like to get feed back on it. BTW some time next year there will be a black Hang on the back overflow instead of the current blue one. It will also not need the pump that hooks up to it.

unfortunately i had to cancel my rapids pro order with drsfostersmith. when i found out that the Nova Extreme T5HO fixture they had listed for 300 bucks as part of their red-tag sale was actually the new Nova Extreme Pro 6x39w fixture which has individual reflectors, i had to get it instead. i still look to get the rapids pro ps4 system in the future. probavly from marinedepot.com for 226 bucks shipped. then again i might wait and see what this new black model looks like that Zulander50 is talking about.

unfortunately i had to cancel my rapids pro order with drsfostersmith. when i found out that the Nova Extreme T5HO fixture they had listed for 300 bucks as part of their red-tag sale was actually the new Nova Extreme Pro 6x39w fixture which has individual reflectors, i had to get it instead. i still look to get the rapids pro ps4 system in the future. probavly from marinedepot.com for 226 bucks shipped. then again i might wait and see what this new black model looks like that Zulander50 is talking about.

Lighting is key. You probably made the wise choice given that you don't need to complete your setup until mid next year.

Please let me know what you think of the filter and the way the units come in. I work for the company and I would like to get feed back on it. BTW some time next year there will be a black Hang on the back overflow instead of the current blue one. It will also not need the pump that hooks up to it.

I expect the delivery should come in roughly 3-4 days. Good to know that my filter will be obsolete in just a few months! On the bright side, I can benefit from the new technology for only $200 AND I don't need to waste time modding the filter to my liking, since a more improved BLACK one is already in development. Gotta admit, the blue pump that hooks up to it bothers me a bit too. Nice to see that Tom Aquatics is addressing aesthetics as well as functionality. Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely post feedback once it's up and running.

definately cant wait to hear the feedback on the rapids pro. im still thinking about picking it up...their sale is evidently extended for an undisclosed amount of time since it was supposed to end yesterday but the price is still the same. i thought about going ahead and ordering it today (made some cash on eBay :D)

...then someone offered me a used Euro-Reef rs80 for $115. decisions, decisions. hmmm

Archived