Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

airman_verde04

Hey Adam!! I've been busy myself!! school started so I've been just plan out tired. anyhoo, Karen, you and I and our better halves need to get together soon!! I'm looking to be free next weekend.. anyhoo.. I need to put some new pictures of my tank! I need to do a water change.. crap, I need to feed the fish.. haha..

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Adam!! I've been busy myself!! school started so I've been just plan out tired. anyhoo, Karen, you and I and our better halves need to get together soon!! I'm looking to be free next weekend.. anyhoo.. I need to put some new pictures of my tank! I need to do a water change.. crap, I need to feed the fish.. haha..

Sounds great David. My wife and I are going to be out of town next weekend for my cousin's wedding up in Chicago. I am shooting a wedding the following Saturday but Sunday afternoons are usually pretty wide open.

what......work before reefing, thats just silly B)

I know. I know. I wish it was back to me horsing around on here all day :)

airman_verde04

cool!!! I didn't know you did photography, I used to as a hobby, but got bored here in charleston, It hits me here and there, but I prefer doing it when I go out of town. anyways, you'll have to tell me about how much you charge, I have a DJ business/reception coordinating( its more of a Hobby also, I just do it for fun), I only have one recommendation for photog, but I would love to be able to send money your way when I can! anyways. so lets see, how about we start looking the first Sunday in October? just get back to me. then we'll pass the word to Karen.

BTW, I'm going to be getting some new salt soon and I'm wondering what kind you use? I want something with a little higher calcium levels.. I wasn't overly impressed with the seachem reef salt..

I like your new look. A little too blue for me but that doesn't matter. When I changed my bulbs out in my BC29 I used 2 36w Actinics and 2 36w 50/50s. Everything looks great now. Like maybe having a 14k in my tank.

Yo Adam - where ya been? You pulled me back in the hobby when I was getting burned out so now it's my turn. Let the work go and play more! I don't like what I saw on another forum. Tell me it's not so!!!!!!!!! :tears:

Hahaha Karen. Yeah, I had a minor brain fart there where I was actually thinking about taking the tank down. I'm all better now though and back with more motivation. I was just feeling down about doing some monotenous tank maintenance and lost my brains for an hour or so there.

I've since deleted that thread and will NOT be taking this down. I've come too far and the tank is really doing great so I can't complain. If I have to spend an hour or two a week tearing out the darn Neomeris than so be it.

Once project planning is done after this week, I should be more present around here.

I'll PM you tomorrow and we will work on a time when I can come and get the Birdsnest if you still have it. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Obi Juan kenobi
Hahaha Karen. Yeah, I had a minor brain fart there where I was actually thinking about taking the tank down. I'm all better now though and back with more motivation. I was just feeling down about doing some monotenous tank maintenance and lost my brains for an hour or so there.

I've since deleted that thread and will NOT be taking this down. I've come too far and the tank is really doing great so I can't complain. If I have to spend an hour or two a week tearing out the darn Neomeris than so be it.

Once project planning is done after this week, I should be more present around here.

I'll PM you tomorrow and we will work on a time when I can come and get the Birdsnest if you still have it. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Tearin it down :angry: Tank is lookin really good Dive.

airman_verde04

hey Adam, you going to be around town the first Sunday in October? I think its the 5th, so we can make plans with Karen and what not.. shes open that day.. get back to me!! hope to see some picture of non-breaking down of the tank!! haha..

As of now, we should be open that day. My wife and I are photographing a wedding the day before but should be free that Sunday.

Hopefully should have some pictures up sometime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cali-girl. Thanks for following up on the tank. Things are motoring right along with the tank. Really no news from the tank other than just some new growth here and there on some of the SPS and clam. I will finally have to take some pictures of the tank here shortly.

I have been working about 60 hours a week over the last month or so so my "play" time on here has been cut pretty low. Hopefully i can do some catching up on here shortly.

Adam

Good to hear! Growth is always nice, didn't want to hear of any "taking down" anythings.....

And how 'bout that PUPPY!??

Puppy is doing great. She just turned a year old last week so we of course had to have a little "party" for her....with special dog food, balloons, a new collar, and of course a dog cookie coated in dog icing :) I will have to post some pics of the festivities.

Two months? I had to go back and catch up on two months of your tank progress. WOW - I've got to get things back to normal and my house un-packed so I can go back to sitting on N-R for hours on end.

By the way... didn't you get a blue slimmer a while ago?

Two months? I had to go back and catch up on two months of your tank progress. WOW - I've got to get things back to normal and my house un-packed so I can go back to sitting on N-R for hours on end.

By the way... didn't you get a blue slimmer a while ago?

Not really a whole lot to go back through and catch up on. No new pictures or corals.

I did get a blue slimer a while back (June) but it really hasn't grown a lick.

Dare I ask what dog icing is????????????????????

Haha :) I think it's sugar based since I actually tried a piece and it was really sweet. It was probably just real icing for all I know.

• 1 month later...

So, you've been having the one year blues too? Well, not blues really...more like "where am I going with this?", at least those were my thoughts. I guess it's tough to keep up with the updates while we're so busy. I feel you there, but please don't dismantle your tank. :)

Hey man. Been a long time since I've seen you around here as well. It has definitely been some of the "ok I've had this up for well over a year now" blues :) I have just been motoring along, keeping up with water changes, and making sure I keep things alive. Things haven't really been growing much since I haven't been doing the best of jobs in keeping up with parameters. The alk and calcium have been maintained but I just need to get on the Magnesium and be more dilligent.

I am going to be out of town most of this week and most of next week (one year anniversary) but should have some pic updates somewhere in between.

Thanks for keeping tabs on the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...seems like my posts are getting farther and farther apart. Sorry for the lack of updates but there really haven't been any developments in the Chucktown 29 other than the further proliferation of Neomeris, the bane of my existence :)

After 18 months of fun in the sun with the BC 29...I think that its days are slowing counting down. Before writing anymore, I am NOT getting out of the hobby.

Although everywhere that I have read says that Neomeris is not a pest algae, at this point I would seriously beg to differ. Although it started as just a nice little patch of green color, it has gone crazy in the tank and now practically covers all of the liverock and has now made the bottom part of the back wall its domicile as well. I have tried everything from plucking all of it (I counted 246 one time I tweezed them off), to pulling out the rock and just cutting the top green part off with scissors. All of my attempts to quell this cr*p have failed and I think it actually comes back stronger each time I trim it. I think that it must be just deeply rooted in the rock and just comes back everytime.

SO.....I am going to be taking down this tank and setting up either a 15 gallon or a 20H. That way, I can still use my new T5 light setup and possibly use one of the Tunze 6025s that I have. This time around, I am going to start with just dried base rock from either Marco Rocks or some other dealer of ceramic rock. I am thoroughly tired of getting live rock that has looked nice at first and then become a host for pests. Hopefully the third time is the charm for me and I luck out and never get vermitids or Neomeris again :)

There will definitely be a good bit of planning to do. PodRod (Karen) has graciously said that she would house my SPS during this transfer....but I still need to figure out what to do with the clowns and the firefish. I'm not sure if the 20H or 15g will be big enough for them.

I'm really excited about starting a new with a new tank, rock, and sand....can't believe I will be back at square one after 40 pages of this thread, 15 of the previous, and 18 months :) The New Year is approaching so why not.

Why not just remove all the rock and sand and coral and fish and dry out the tank give it a good bleaching and dechlorinate and use it again? Then you would still be starting from square one but at least you don't need to buy another tank. Unless of course you want a new tank then maybe a cadlights?

Hey Marteen. I thought about that and logistically, I just don't think that it would be possible. I would either need to sell the majority of the coral that I have, find homes for the fish for the time being, and then wait for the rock to dry, re-cycle, etc.

I would love to get a Solana but just don't have the extra money or really the space for one. We are planning on moving in a year and then I should have plenty of space.

Plus, it's kind of exciting thinking about starting over with new base rock, rescaping everything, and then reintroducing the SPS that I have amassed in there. Plus, my lights will fit perfectly as opposed to the way they are now.

Good to see you again. The lights i got from you are still doing well. Just replace the bulbs a while back. Post pics of your new setup.

Haven't had time to read through the entire post yet, but tank looks great.

Have my Biocube setup for a bit over 2 months (I think) right now. Getting pretty full. Good to see some other people from the Charleston area on here.

Tideline got some NICE stuff in this week, if you haven't been by yet.

Archived