SaltCritters.com

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

airman_verde04

yeah, my mushroom folds its self up, and has avoided fragging, or staying where I put him on the rock. I hope hes dropping some baby juice around with all this hoopla, maybe I'll just get a whole bunch of little Mr.Musroomheads

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't like to disappoint.....so here is a good sized batch of pictures that I took yesterday. This was before I changed out the media in my Phosban reactor which stinks because the corals actually look happier now than in the pics :D

Lets start off with some frontal shots and then end with some top down shots....

Superman Montipora

This guy is in a really tough spot to shoot for some reason. Kinda stinks because it is really starting to get it's blue base back and the red polyps are a lot brighter in person.

CRW_7429.jpg

ORA Tort

This frag looks better every day...the "skin" of it is really starting to get a nice greenish hue and the corallites continue to get bluer. I am already starting to see some growth on it and it's been two weeks today since I got it. The color will be better represented in the top down shot further below.

CRW_7438.jpg

CRW_7439.jpg

Baby Blue Stag and the Usual Suspects (Poccilopora, Cap)

CRW_7436.jpg

CRW_7437.jpg

CRW_7434.jpg

Put your top down

Golden Maxima

CRW_7443.jpg

Green w/Blue Polyp Monti Cap

CRW_7444.jpg

Right Side

CRW_7445.jpg

CRW_7446.jpg

Lincoln Log Bali Green Slimer

CRW_7448.jpg

Orange Encrusting Montipora (Really has spread a lot since I got it)

CRW_7449.jpg

Top Down of the ORA Tort (It's a little dark :( )

CRW_7450.jpg

If you want to take a look at these in a slideshow, click HERE

Thank you for taking the time to look at my pictures. I appreciate all those who look and post on my thread. Definitely makes it worthwhile taking pictures, editing, and posting.

yawn....boring!!! :P

sweet new pics, can really see some new growth on alot of your SPS's

oh yeah, like the fancy new sig pic, did you make it yourself? Is your reef keeper still kicking it in the tank?

I figured they were a little boring :)

Glad to see some growth finally out of my corals....I was starting to wonder.

Pickle made the sig for me.....turned out really awesome. Unfortunately the reef keeper is just chillin' on the railing of my back porch now :) He shall be protecting again one day....just couldn't find a good spot for him in the tank.

Carolinapico

Nice! Love that blue polyp monti cap.

Where'd you score that gold maxima from?! Pretty sweet.

airman_verde04

hey Adam!! well, for what I could see in the dark (since my old moonlights blew up, in the middle of making a new set) everything went well, my ATO system seems to like to over fill right about the time it gets to the bottom of the bottle, I just think I need to remount the float switch, its not completely straight up and down, I think a water bubble is getting stuck and causing it to stay on, making it over fill just a bit.. but all went well. I'm going to put some pictures up in a bit of some of the tanks I saw around DC, but anyways.. maybe now we can actually plan a get together with you and Karen and our better halves now that vacations are over with for a little while..

Sounds good David. We will definitely work something up.

So this sums up my 4th of July....well this and a good amount of adult beverages :)

IMG_1678.jpg

I was so close to going....decided not to last minute. Friend offered me tickets. Nice.

Should have went man. This was about my tenth show and the best by far...well definitely ranks right up there. Never been this close before and to see him about 5 minutes from my condo was spectacular. I am used to driving at least 3 hours to Charlotte to see him.

airman_verde04
Sounds good David. We will definitely work something up.

So this sums up my 4th of July....well this and a good amount of adult beverages :)

IMG_1678.jpg

so cool, I have yet to make it to one of his concerts, he use to play in Norfolk when I visited my sister all the time under the name.. umm.. I dont remember, but it was a DMB cover band. you walk in, TA-DA!! its Dave by himself with a mic, chair and a guitar.. people started catching on, so him has called it quites. but he donated the money to build this sweet skate park I rode at as a kid in VA. anyways.. I just put a few pictures of some of the things I saw while I was in DC on my tank page. we had a good time.. Melisa is poop'd from all the walking still.. haha. we're planning a 1day 1 night trip to Atlanta to visit the aquarium and the world of coke some time in Aug-sept. haha..

airman_verde04

ok, you twisted my arm, I'll take you up on that green stuff.. my new moonlights will be up this week, so I know those are going to look amazing under them.. so I it will be in good shape for something new! If you work near by TL I can always just meet up to meet. I live only 3 miles away! 5 min drive..haha.

PS.. my zoa, hes not colonizing, so I really need some help fraging him so I can move him to a different location in the tank.. I think its because he is grown in a hole in the rock there.. I feel that he needs more flat surfaces to spread the wealth.

Carolinapico
ok, you twisted my arm, I'll take you up on that green stuff.. my new moonlights will be up this week, so I know those are going to look amazing under them.. so I it will be in good shape for something new! If you work near by TL I can always just meet up to meet. I live only 3 miles away! 5 min drive..haha.

GSP is always a cool coral to have in the tank. Blows in the current and is neon green, real eye catcher. I love mine.

PS.. my zoa, hes not colonizing, so I really need some help fraging him so I can move him to a different location in the tank.. I think its because he is grown in a hole in the rock there.. I feel that he needs more flat surfaces to spread the wealth.

Sounds great David. I will see if I have a chance this afternoon to cut you a piece and give it a day or two to heal up and make sure that it is healthy. It is pretty resilient stuff so I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm not sure how much time I will have during lunch to swing over and meet you but if I get more time, I can help show you how to frag the zoas. I have one or two frags laying around of some other cool looking ones as well if you're interested.

GSP is always a cool coral to have in the tank. Blows in the current and is neon green, real eye catcher. I love mine.

I agree....it's amazing that such a simple and really easy to keep coral is so eye catching.

airman_verde04

yeah, no worries, that Zoa can probably wait a few more weeks, if anything I'll have to break the tubes where the feather dusters are pushing my Zoa, they are like weeds on that rock! everywhere! . and no worries about coming to this side of town, I don't go to work untill 1:30ish, I can always meet you on your side of town when its ready at your lunch time.

oh yeah, have you ever had your snails multiply? I have about 4-5 baby snail looking things.. they only seem to come out at night so far.. maybe because they are so small.. I dont know, what do you do when they get big? haha, need some snails?? :)

Yeah man, it was an awesome show. I eventually got closer than that picture which was freaking amazing. Those type of shows always go by so fast....leaves me longing for the next one.

Nothing really new or improved on the tank. Just starting to get some noticeable growth on the ORA Tort which I am super excited about. The growth tips are a really nice light blue color with a green tint to them. Really cool.

I have a question though and thought someone might now. I have noticed lately that I am getting this stringy clear slime at the upper right hand corner of my tank. It is probably where the streams are not hitting the surface. I have been sucking it out with a syringe but I just don't really know what it could be. I suck it out and then it's back the next day.

I just tested all of my levels and everything is spot on. Not sure exactly what it would be since it's clear and is only at the surface. Maybe some bacteria? I am clueless on this one and couldn't find anything googling it or on Wet Web Media.

airman_verde04

woah man, that stuff sounds nasty, I hope you figure out what it is. crazy that it comes back so fast. I'm in the middle of a new tank related project, I haven't got around to making my new moonlights, which makes my tank look really really lonely at night :( , but I found mixing 2g of RO/salt each week a bit of a pain, so I picked up a rubbermade tub, I'm going to put a spout on it, and put ready to go, 10g of mixed salt water.. it will last me the whole month.. I'm pretty pumped about it.. anyways.. hows yours and Karen's weekend looking? we have nothing going on Sunday afternoon if you guys want to finally get together! anyways.. got off early, so I'm going to pass out.

Hey David. The clear slime is just more of a nuisance more than anything else....doesn't appear to have any effect on the corals or anything else really. The only thing that I found was on Reef Central in their Chemistry forum. Someone mentioned that it might be related to sugar or vodka dosing and is possibly related to running carbon. One thing is for sure, I haven't added vodka or sugar to the tank....can't waste a perfectly good beverage like that :)

We are somewhat free on Sunday afternoon although I might be meeting up with someone that I am doing their wedding photography that afternoon. Just really depends on when they are free. Not sure how your schedule is but we could always all meet up during lunch during the week. Seems like that is easy enough for me to work out with my schedule and Karen is usually free. Not sure what your schedule is though.

airman_verde04

yeah, lunch time around 11-1:30 I'm always free, and Mondays, I'm off anyways..

BUT NO WAY!!! you do weddings!! I DJ weddings, been doing it for about 9 years now, since I was 15, work in radio for 3.. anyhoo. got alittle website, the only thing is I'm hesitant to really go after work since my schedule is so easily changed, I'm working on getting a desk job so I'll be M-F, then not only will I be able to work weddings, I'll be able to put my little tank up.. HAHA.. I'm still working on the website, I'm up and down with it still, but I really do think I get that many hits, as in I've only got 1 phone call since coming back from baghdad, wedding biz in this town is so competitive, I need to get one of those booth things at the bridal show, this past spring I just plastered cars with flyers.. HAHA, I remember what I did with flyers on my car when I went for wedding INFO, TRASH! haha. www.dmvweddings.com

Hey Adam,

Drink that vodka - don't spill it in the tank! As for lunch, I think that would be much easier since we all have a hard time planning an evening to get together. I'm available next week exept for Wednesday - just let me know when and were!

dude are you selling the tank too??? what lighting are you getting now... interested to seee what ya got brewin over there ;)

Archived