Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

wow that new light set up is sweeeeeet! How much for one of those bad boys? It looks like it cover the whole tank and then some! Does this techinically mean you are no longer topless :o

I think that fixture would look sweet hanging over the tank. Set up a nice pully so you can raise up the lights for water changes and fiddling around.

Thanks Tudizzle. The fixture was $399 but I was able to get it since I sold my 48" version of the same light as well as the Sunpod. I am really happy with the switch. Well, since it doesn't completely cover the opening, then I guess I am still safe going to the topless reef beach :P

What I wanted to do to hang this was use some sort of metal tubing that I could bend. I would make a base of some sort that would hug the stand on the bottom and would go up the back and bend over the top. Something that would be slick and clean looking. I have seen them done before but can't remember where. I may have to go to HD or Lowe's and get my DIY juices flowing :)

Here are some pictures of the tank after some serious scraping of the back wall.

As a test, please tell me which one you think looks better resolution wise (aka sharper, cleaner lines)

CRW_7593.jpg

CRW_7593_web.jpg

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks....I was thinking #1 as well but wanted to get general consensus. #1 is at full resolution, well until Photobucket buts it down, and #2 has been resized for the web.

airman_verde04

Adam, your tank looks AMAZING!!!! I cant wait to see it in person, if you need any help with your DIY light hanging project, I know exactly what you have in mind and can help you if you want!! anyhoo.. and yeah, the top one is way crisper!!

Thanks for the compliments David. I still am blown away at how much better it looks with the back scrapped and cleaned of all the coralline. It's funny that I was always hoping to have it covered in coralline and now I try and keep it cleaned off.

The rock was just blending into the background and with the nice black background, it just really stands out and the colors really POP.

Thanks for the offer on making the lighting stand. I will probably hit up Lowe's this weekend and see what ideas I can come up with. I'm sure with the right goods you could whip one of these together though. :)

I still am blown away at how much better it looks with the back scrapped and cleaned of all the coralline. It's funny that I was always hoping to have it covered in coralline and now I try and keep it cleaned off.

I just recently moved my tank to my new house and I scraped my glass too, I feel the same way as you, the colors really do 'pop'. :)

Looks really awesome man! I told you that T5HO was the way to go! :D

Thanks Travis. Looking forward to more pictures of your tank. I didn't realize that you were moving. Never ever fun moving tanks.

It wasn't too bad, just baggied the corals and fish, boxed the rocks, and stored the water in clean/new 5 gallon jugs and kept the sand in the tank while transporting. Aquascaped dry (didn't pour in the water while aquascaping) and then added water and fish. Nothing to it. :)

I agree that when I moved my tank, it was a heck of a lot easier than I thought it would be. I was worried sick the days leading up to my move. It's just always a pain catching fish, bagging corals, etc. More of a pain than anything else.

Hey adam,

Tank is looking great man!!! The new light look great.....i am loving my new light as well....the swtich from PCs to the MH is amazing....cant wait to get through the screens to get more light in my tank. Turned out that 5 screen was too much and i am down to 3 right now. I possibly will remove another one today....unfortunately my leds barely stand a chance getting through but rather be safe with the MH. My evaporation hasnt changed much and my temps are still pretty constant too....so over all very happy. I might work on some pics myself today!!

Awesome Jason. I'm happy that everything worked out with you and the new light. I'm sure your corals will love it.

Wow great looking tank! I really like the way the new lights look as well. Also nice to see a thread with so many SC reefers. I'm up in Spartanburg.

Wow great looking tank! I really like the way the new lights look as well. Also nice to see a thread with so many SC reefers. I'm up in Spartanburg.

Thanks for the compliment. Great to meet another SC reefer on here....we need to get in an instate swap going sometime between:

-PodRod

-CarolinaPico

-Airman

-Me

-Mr. Fosi

-Blue Bastion

-Masterbuilder

Would be cool.

Everything looks great Adam!! Sorry I've been a recluse lately. I'm sure you'll love the new light. T5's are great. I'll be sending you a PM either later tonight or tomorrow regarding those corals.

Things are still doing great in the tank. The ORA Tort ended up getting a little bleached, well more lightened in color, but it is starting to come back now. I have reduced the amount of time the 12 and 14k bulbs are on so that should help as well. Other than that, the Green Slimer has gotten some crazy green color back where it was yellowing before and all the other caps are looking great as well.

Even though the Tort has faded in color, the growth has been killer. I will grab some pics tonight or tomorrow and post some up.

airman_verde04
Things are still doing great in the tank. The ORA Tort ended up getting a little bleached, well more lightened in color, but it is starting to come back now. I have reduced the amount of time the 12 and 14k bulbs are on so that should help as well. Other than that, the Green Slimer has gotten some crazy green color back where it was yellowing before and all the other caps are looking great as well.

Even though the Tort has faded in color, the growth has been killer. I will grab some pics tonight or tomorrow and post some up.

looking forward to the pictures! yeah, I'm really interested in light cycles now, I plan to have 3 sources of light for the new Pico I'm working on, 50/50, color enhance, LED anticics. I'm planning on adding similar lights to the main take to add to the light cycle and in general add more light for coral growth! I've been looking at tanks of the month on RC.com, they seem to have some of the most incredible large tanks on the net there, and they do really good lay outs of there lighting cycles..you should check it out.

how many different lights can you control with the new fixture anyways? is it just two?? oh, theres going to be a bit of a hold back on the moonlights if you want them in the next few week, I found out I need little regulator things or whatever there called haha.. I burned a few little bulbs.. but its ok, they were test bulbs anyways..

There really is no comparison as far as the LARGE tanks over on RC. Just cruise the large tank forum on there and you will cr*p your pants about what people are building. Here I am perfectly content with my 22 usable gallons and they are knocking out walls, having to install new circuits, and getting fork lifts to bring in their tanks. Simply stunning the amount of money that people spend on their tanks....I can only imagine. I was talking to the owner of Aquarium Specialty and while I was there, some guy called and ordered two $5,000 skimmers. And here I am mulling over and fretting over spending a measly $100 on something :) Nevermind that this guy was involved in the oil business....guess that's where the $3.60 gas is going -_-

Anywho, ranting aside. The fixture that I have has 5 bulbs total. It has two switches, one that control 3 bulbs and one that controls the other 2 bulbs. Right now, this is the lighting cycle I run:

-Actinics ON at 1 pm (2 Aquablue Spezials, 1 UVL 75/25)

-2 Blue Plus ON at 4:30

-2 Blue Plus OFF at 7:30

-Actinics OFF at 10

I have cut down the amount of time that the Blue Plus bulbs are on. These bulbs, with individual reflectors, put out some huge PAR values so I have just cut these back and run the higher K rated bulbs. I will just have to observe how things react. The only thing that really has shown any fading/bleaching is the Tort....everything else is nice and content.

Since I was lazy and didn't take any pictures last night, here are some pictures of my 10 month old puppy, Aspen.

CRW_7598.jpg

Great, he has the camera out again :)

CRW_7607.jpg

CRW_7615.jpg

CRW_7610.jpg

CRW_7616.jpg

CRW_7619.jpg

Wow Adam you dog has some killer eyes....look like he is wearing contacts LOL....

Yeah i have a friend in the custom tank industry....if its not over 100Gal they probably arent working on it. They do amazing work and eventually when i get a house....they might hook me up!!!

Just in case you are curious http://www.seavisions.com/

Went to High School/college with his son!!

Thanks Jason for the compliments on the pooch. She is one of the few dogs, and this is inherent with the breed, to just sit there and absolutely stare a whole in you. :) When she wants something, she definitely lets you know.

Those custom tanks are absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine how they look in person. I'm sure it's great having a contact like that.

airman_verde04
There really is no comparison as far as the LARGE tanks over on RC. Just cruise the large tank forum on there and you will cr*p your pants about what people are building. Here I am perfectly content with my 22 usable gallons and they are knocking out walls, having to install new circuits, and getting fork lifts to bring in their tanks. Simply stunning the amount of money that people spend on their tanks....I can only imagine. I was talking to the owner of Aquarium Specialty and while I was there, some guy called and ordered two $5,000 skimmers. And here I am mulling over and fretting over spending a measly $100 on something :) Nevermind that this guy was involved in the oil business....guess that's where the $3.60 gas is going -_-

Anywho, ranting aside. The fixture that I have has 5 bulbs total. It has two switches, one that control 3 bulbs and one that controls the other 2 bulbs. Right now, this is the lighting cycle I run:

-Actinics ON at 1 pm (2 Aquablue Spezials, 1 UVL 75/25)

-2 Blue Plus ON at 4:30

-2 Blue Plus OFF at 7:30

-Actinics OFF at 10

I have cut down the amount of time that the Blue Plus bulbs are on. These bulbs, with individual reflectors, put out some huge PAR values so I have just cut these back and run the higher K rated bulbs. I will just have to observe how things react. The only thing that really has shown any fading/bleaching is the Tort....everything else is nice and content.

Since I was lazy and didn't take any pictures last night, here are some pictures of my 10 month old puppy, Aspen.

CRW_7598.jpg

woah Adam, those lights are really giving you some strange growth, you coral and fish kind of look like a dog now.. THATS AMAZING!! haha.

but yeah, I know what you mean about the tanks on RC, they are amazing! but even thought they are nice to look at, I would never really want much over 30 gallons. but anyhoo, those must be some crazy powerful lights you got there!! you go almost 3 hours without turning on all the lights!! haha.. ahh.. light.. so cool so cool..

Hey Adam,

I've been out for awhile due to insane travel with work but finally catching up a little over the weekend. Your pics look incredible! Looks like that light is really working out well for you. I've noticed a lot of growth in your recent pics and everything looks so colorful and healthy! The pup is growing too!

Even though I've been traveling, I haven't neglected my tank. I just did a water change and everthing is growing like crazy. I'm still wanting to add a few more sps frags, but I want to wait until I go to Columbia so I can visit Aquarium Speciality.

Need any chaeto? The small ball you gave me is out of control and I need to split it in half. Just let me know...

Your pics look incredible! Looks like that light is really working out well for you. I've noticed a lot of growth in your recent pics and everything looks so colorful and healthy! The pup is growing too!

Even though I've been traveling, I haven't neglected my tank. I just did a water change and everthing is growing like crazy. I'm still wanting to add a few more sps frags, but I want to wait until I go to Columbia so I can visit Aquarium Speciality.

Need any chaeto? The small ball you gave me is out of control and I need to split it in half. Just let me know...

Glad you stopped by and took a look at the thread Karen. Been a while since I've seen you around these parts :)

It's always hard to tell if things are growing in my tank or not without looking back on old pictures. I am going to try and grab some more pictures tonight. I spent about 30-45 minutes taking out rocks and plucking off these blasted Neomeris again....it's getting a little old really. Oh well, guess they have replaced my least favorite reef critter, vermitids.

Whenever I start a new tank, I'm going to get all base rock except for one or two pieces of live established rock. Not messing around with these pests anymore :)

Unfortunately I don't really have anywhere to put the Chaeto or I would take some from you. I've gotten used to not having the soap dish in the display and don't think i can go back now :D.

Looking good man. Is the dog a boarder or a Aussie?

Thanks Dood. Aspen is a mini Aussie. A lot of people get thrown off with her colorations and sometimes think she is an Aussie Cattle dog. It's funny....either people really think she is cool looking or really weird looking with her colors. The best was when an older lady looked at her at the dog park and told me "She looks like a little hyena." I gave her the stink eye and walked away. :lol:

Hopefully pictures tomorrow.

airman_verde04
Hey Adam,

Is that the stuff you use for refugiums? I wouldn't mind having some of thats stuff..

oh and Adam, is Neomeris thats green stuff that looks like peas growing all over your tank?

oh, and whenever you start a new tank? new lights that would fit perfectly over a Solana that you want next time you get another tank? hmm... I think your secretly setting yourself up for something bigger and new?? hahaha!!!!!

Archived