Coral Vue Hydros

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Oh no my friend....definitely not planning on selling the tank :) I am just getting it to a point where things are starting to grow nicely.

I am looking at getting the Aquatinics TX5 5-24w fixture (http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/TX5.html). I had their 48" version that I used to run on my 55 gallon tank and I absolutely loved it. It was built like a tank, has individual 95% reflective reflectors, and has tons of lighting spectrum options. Oh yeah, and after running for 12 hours it was cool to the touch.

I had that $400 fixture chilling in the closet for about a year in the thoughts that I would use it again on a 55 gallon. I figure I might as well sell something that expensive and pass it on to someone else to enjoy instead of letting it collect dust.

I will post more about what I'm thinking with T5 :)

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04

So your thinking about T5! I love mine.. after knowing whats good in the hobby, I wish I would have at least 4 bulbs just to get a larger light spectrum. but I think it would be a bit over kill on my tank.. anyways, Next year, we're planning on getting a cube tank, not a All-in-one, but just the tank.. well, we might get a biocube or something, but I really like the cube tank I've seen on here. anyways

Lunch, tomorrow will work just fine for my, Friday may not, I wont know till, Thursday, we're doing so lame trainning thing that we've done like 8 times this year to do it again in 2 weeks. Its so they Air Force can see if our base knows how to deploy and all that gayness...

I'll hang tight. where do you guys work? on the west Ash side of town?

Hey David. Yeah, cube tanks are really cool and I'm sure it will be a nice progression for you when the time comes. It's kind of funny how I went backwards with the size tanks I used to have. Started with a 55 and now with the 29. Although I would like to have a larger tank again someday, I really just prefer smaller tanks, well at least to own. I can always admire from a distance others money pits :)

Just PM Karen and see if tomorrow works for her. I work down in North Charleston on the old Navy Base. About a 10 minute ride to where Tideline is.

airman_verde04

OH yeah!! haha.. where do I get my water.. theres a water tower along that road that goes behind towncenter, just go to front of the building where that tower is and they have little dispersers .. I have 4, 5g water jugs I fill up about once every month 1/2 or so. you can look up the water towers for Mount P on online, here is the link for the water quality http://environmental-compliance.mountpleas...om/wq_jun08.pdf

Hey David. Yeah, cube tanks are really cool and I'm sure it will be a nice progression for you when the time comes. It's kind of funny how I went backwards with the size tanks I used to have. Started with a 55 and now with the 29. Although I would like to have a larger tank again someday, I really just prefer smaller tanks, well at least to own. I can always admire from a distance others money pits :)

Just PM Karen and see if tomorrow works for her. I work down in North Charleston on the old Navy Base. About a 10 minute ride to where Tideline is.

cool stuff, I hate the roads around that area, yuk! my poor little bug and the moto dont like it so much. speaking of that, I'm kind heading that way now, time for a hair cut in the old village! I'll check for a lunch'n update when I get back .

Sorry man....been tied up here at work with loads of paperwork this morning with no end in site by lunch. :rant:

airman_verde04

haha.. no worries.. another time for sure.. I really dont know what its like to be tied to my job after hours.. or during work.. I'd been working 12 hour shifts for the past 4 years with non stop work, and now finally working 8 hour days, where boredom cant even describe how much we dont do.. anyhoo, don't work to hard!

Just a quick little non-picture update.

I was able to sell the Sunpod on here in the classified section so I went ahead and ordered the Aquatinics TX5 fixture from Aquarium Specialty yesterday morning. Since they are only about an hour and half drive away, I usually get things from them next day. Unfortunately I have not heard anything from them with a tracking number so I hope it just comes today and they missed sending out the e-mail.

Since I sold the light, I am keeping the buyer waiting til I get this new fixture. I'll definitely be bummed if I don't get it today but nothing too much I can do about that.

Here is the bulb combination that I ended up going with. It should give me a nice 14k look with a little more flourescence and pop to the colors. Can't wait :)

Front --> Back

ATI Blue Plus (20k)

ATI Aquablue Special (12k)

UVL 75.25

ATI Aquablue Special (12k)

ATI Blue Plus (20k)

Hopefully I will be updating this will some good news tomorrow and some pictures.

Other than that, I was looking at my Tort yesterday and I say all together I've gotten about an inch or two of new growth. The growth tips are a really cool light blue color.

Carolinapico

What were the factors for moving to T5s? I've never had T5s before so i'd be interested in hearing the reasoning.

Well, I got the bulbs in :) Yippee...guess I can sit here and stare at them for the evening. I guess the fixture is being sent from the manufacturer and not the warehouse here in South Carolina. Not sure when I will get it but hopefully tomorrow.

CarolinaPico - Regarding switching from MH to T5s. There were a number of reasons why I made the switch. A lot of these are up for debate (other than the PAR readings) so I'm not intending to turn this into the massive debate threads on other forums :)

The first and main reason why I made the switch is the flexibility that T5 allows you as far as coloration and overall look of the tank. With a 5 bulb fixture, there are pretty much endless combinations of bulbs that you can go with. This allows more flexibility in not only promoting growth of the corals but also better coloration. With the combination that I went with, it should be more around the look of a 14k with the growth of a 10k and the flourescence that is pulled out from say a 20k bulb. It's hard to achieve this with just MH along and thus why a lot of people with larger tanks will run MH and supplement with some sort of T5 actinics. They get the growth and power from the halide and coloration from the actinics....I can achieve that with just this one fixture. Also, if I ever want to change the look of the tank, I can replace just one $19 bulb instead of having to get a whole new MH bulb for $60-80. Another thing is the overall length of time that the bulbs last....some report that on non-overdriven ballasts that they have had better brand bulbs hold their spectrum for close to 2 years. Talk about cost savings.

The second reason is the overall efficiency of T5 bulbs themselves. For one, because it is coming out of a tube instead of a single light source (one MH bulb) you do not get any shadows on the corals, thus more coral tissue is exposed to the usable light thus better growth. Also, with the better fixtures (such as Tek, Aquatinics, ATI) you get better single reflectors for each individual bulb and this is really the key to being able to use T5s with SPS and clams. The fixtures that do not have individual reflectors for each bulb are still pretty good, but they are losing between 10-25% of the light from it not being directly reflected back into the tank. With this, a 124w T5 fixture can produce the PAR (usable light) that say a 250w MH can and possibly more depending on the bulbs.

So those are the main reasons. Another benefit is not having to run fans over the tank anymore since the Aquatinics fixture comes with a great built in fan. I used to run my T5s for about 9 hours on my old 55g and it was cool to the touch at the end of the day. This will reduce the amount of evaporation I have as well. Just some side benefits.

Lastly, down the road I plan on upgrading to probably the Solana. With that upgrade, it would have been wise for me to step up to the 250w MH instead of the 150w that I was running. I have seen PodRod's tank in person and the 250w really promotes some great growth and coloration in her tank. So with this fixture, it will fit the Solana and be plenty o' power for any coral that I would want to keep.

So you can see I haven't really thought through this too much :D . Another deciding factor was that I had the old fixture that I sold so basically I could get this fixture as a trade in more or less.

well ok dive......what an update for sure... man i bet the coral POP is gonna be rediculous with those t5's.. now you need to just get about 150 more gallons of tank :) :) :)

by the way what are you doing on here at this hour of the day... your usually a mornig guy ;)

now you need to just get about 150 more gallons of tank :) :) :)

by the way what are you doing on here at this hour of the day... your usually a mornig guy ;)

Yeah, the 150 more gallons will just have to wait until I'm retired....which is oh about +40 years away. The hobby just might change a little bit in that time period :) Bigger tank....more money.

I cruise here more in the morning while sipping my coffee and then peak in every once in a while in the afternoons. Not the evening or night surfer though....my wife just asks me "what the deuce are you doing back there" :D

Ah i see, nice. Looking forward to seeing it with T5s then!

Looks like the pictures will have to wait. I was relinquished to just staring at the bulbs last night. I finally heard back from Scott at Aquarium Specialty and I guess they just have Aquatinics ship the fixtures directly from their warehouse....not the ones in Columbia like I thought. Had I of known, I might have just ordered from another company and saved on the 7% sales tax I got clanged for. Still happy to support a local business but bummed that I'm not sure when it will come in.

Oh well, this hobby has taught me to have a little more patience.

Ha, I had a similar experience (bad communication, slow shipping) from Scott when I bought my 36" TX5 from him last year. He is kinda known for this thing from what I read over at RC. Anyways, in the end I do love the fixture and got a good deal price-wise. Can't wait to see it over your BC.

Ha, I had a similar experience (bad communication, slow shipping) from Scott when I bought my 36" TX5 from him last year. He is kinda known for this thing from what I read over at RC. Anyways, in the end I do love the fixture and got a good deal price-wise. Can't wait to see it over your BC.

First off, thanks for stopping by the thread. Always nice to have new faces....well avatars :)

I have had nothing but great experiences with him thus far but I guess I was just disappointed that he didn't let me know that it was going to be coming from the manufacturer and not his warehouse. I was hoping to get it next day and I'm not sure when it will get here.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait but I'm never really very patient when it comes to buying things.....there's still something that is really nice when say you can go to a store, buy something there, and have it when you go home. Shipping and waiting is always a drag in my opinion.

airman_verde04
I'm sure it will be worth the wait but I'm never really very patient when it comes to buying things.....there's still something that is really nice when say you can go to a store, buy something there, and have it when you go home. Shipping and waiting is always a drag in my opinion.

oh I feel you man, I've yet to order anything for my tank other than my float switch.. and When it comes to ordering, I can only find my mountain bike parts and stuff online. I hate it when I need something.. I always rush ship it. ugg.. anyways.. lunch tomorrow maybe? we dont start working double shifts till sunday or so.

Oh yeah! I cant wait to see your new lights.. thats cool your thinking up getting that solana, they are what.. 4g bigger that the BC? or something? I need food (random)

Well I finally got an e-mail with a tracking number. Says that billing has been received. Not sure where the deuce the light is being shipped from. Definitely not coming today though..... :angry: Probably coming from California so that would be awesome if I had to wait all weekend....lovely.

I guess if I order from Aquarium Specialty again I will make sure that they have it at their warehouse instead of having it shipped from the manufacturer. Not worth it otherwise.

Carolinapico

Oh man especially if its frags! LOL I hate waiting.

Looks like the big brown truck (UPS) won't be here til Monday with the fixture. Oh well....what's another couple of days :)

I don't know..... I think you should have researched those lights first...... :P . Seriously, I think you did the wise thing and I can't wait to see your tank with the new lights. Did you guys do the lunch thing today? I was slammed and couldn't break away. I'm basically on the road for the rest of the month so no play for me. I do want to see your tank though when things calm down at work.

airman_verde04

Hey Adam, it was nice meeting you today! as for the GSP and anything else.. I'll gladly take you up on your offer.. feel free to frag away.. Since my tank is barren, I really dont have anything to offer back.. BUT!!! I'm about to order a bunch LED's for future LED project.. and Since you have a new light coming along. If its the ones I looked up, you could use some moonlights! anyways.. I'd gladly wire you up a set as pay back! anyways.. I'm off to bed..

I don't know..... I think you should have researched those lights first...... :P . Seriously, I think you did the wise thing and I can't wait to see your tank with the new lights. Did you guys do the lunch thing today? I was slammed and couldn't break away. I'm basically on the road for the rest of the month so no play for me. I do want to see your tank though when things calm down at work.

Hey Karen. We did end up meeting up yesterday for lunch...nice to put a face with a screename and always great to meet another local reefer. Once things settle down with your work, you are more than welcome to come and see my tank....finally. Hope that all is going great with yours as well.

Hey Adam, it was nice meeting you today! as for the GSP and anything else.. I'll gladly take you up on your offer.. feel free to frag away.. Since my tank is barren, I really dont have anything to offer back.. BUT!!! I'm about to order a bunch LED's for future LED project.. and Since you have a new light coming along. If its the ones I looked up, you could use some moonlights! anyways.. I'd gladly wire you up a set as pay back! anyways.. I'm off to bed..

That sounds great David. I was actually thinking the same thing about the LEDs but didn't want to just up and ask you to try and rig something up for me :) I will try and frag a couple things this weekend but it just depends on how crazy things are around here.

What a whirlwind couple of days. Long story short, my wife's grandfather, who has advanced stage Alzheimer's as well as congestive heart failure, contracted double pneumonia late Friday night and was taken into the ICU in the early hours of Saturday morning. The doctors lost him momentarily but were able to put him on life support so that everyone could have some time with him. He was taken off life support around 2:30 PM on Saturday and is still hanging in there as of now....guess he wants to stick around for all of the stories that everyone has been telling while sitting at his bedside :) My wife has 8 aunts and uncles and combined there are about 29 grandchildren....it was a little tight in waiting room. Needless to say, not a whole lot of sleep has been happening over the last night or two. Send up a little prayer for his safe passing if you are so inclined.

Fixture comes in today so I'm sure I will probably take a little reprieve and hook it up. Nothing like having your tank to escape to at times.

my prayers are with him, sorry to here that adam..

well on a good note.. are you EXITED about the lights coming in or what :)

Thanks for the well wishes....I will let my wife know.

I am incredibly excited about getting the light in today and getting it hooked up. Feels like I have been waiting a long long time to get it. Just checked UPS and it is "Out for Delivery." :)

Plenty of pictures to come....

Archived