Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Awesome....that does sound like a great idea for a fuge light...should work perfect for you and the tank.

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary for the tank!!!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to switch to the Phoenix 14k bulb...should have it running on the tank tomorrow.

I have really been keeping an eye on my parameters and they have been rock solid lately. I have noticed that I was starting to lose some color on some of my corals so I figure the switch was necessary.

I am selling the XM 15K for $20 if anyone is interested.

Comparison pictures to come tomorrow.

Good choice.

I think that I am going to end up liking it from everything that I've read. Sounds like it is about the same as a 20k with the PAR of a 10-14K. I am getting if for $20 since I sold the XM and Koralia.

Corals better be happy :D

Thought provoking musings about flux, Adam.

--Diane

I hear ya Diane....I feel like I am constantly musing about my tank :) Sometimes I fall asleep with corals rather than sugar plums dancing in my head.

I FINALLY got the flow right in my tank with the Tunze nanostreams. I ended up shooting the one on the left side more across the back wall and now the one of the right is directed more diagonally across to the front left corner. Everything, including the sand this time, seems really happy about the change. Thank the Lord since I was really getting tired of the constant tweaking to get it right.

I will have to get some pictures. One thing that I have noticed is how well the green acro frag that PodRod gave me has turned around. When I got it it was a nice flourescent green, I proceeded to put it in too much laminar flow with not enough random movement and it RTN'd to the point where there was a couple small pieces of flesh left. I'm glad I didn't give up on it since it has made about an 80% come back and it starting to grow and the polyp extension is incredible now. It is slowly getting it's color back.

One thing that I have noticed with SPS is that they can quickly turn on you (brown out, lose color, lose flesh, etc.) and it takes a LONG time for something to bounce back. The rewards of bringing something back to health is pretty cool though.

I feel like nUgZ nursing things back :)

Just got the new Phoenix hooked up and all I can say is WOW....talk about making the colors pop.

RoushRacer
Just got the new Phoenix hooked up and all I can say is WOW....talk about making the colors pop.

Pics, we need pics! :P

Haha...I just took about 40 pictures so I have a bunch to go through and post up. Probably will be Monday before I get to them.

I feel like nUgZ nursing things back :)

It's a good feeling isn't it?? It's even better when it's something really nice. ;)

daanggg itt... i guess your gonnna try and talk me into the phenoix14k too huh.... go ahead i might as welll here it...

i want before and after pics next too each other so i can compare

current usa bulb, xm bulb, phoniox bulb...

Nah man, I won't try and talk you into it. I have just been really really happy with the bulb so far. I know it will burn in a little more and get a little less blue/purple and then it will be really awesome.

Pictures to come and then I will add a reply that has all three next to each other. That will look cool.

airman_verde04

Hey man! cool reef! I just got started with my tank last week! I wish i had a bio cube! I hate myself because i went to fish shop to get all my stuff, but found a biocube at superpetz for $68 on sale.. to late now.. anyways, I have a 10g, the RO water and live sand cycled last week, and this week I've added my live rock. I have this strange white fuzz that looks like cobwebs.. anyways, I've have pictures up soon.. oh! I live in Charleston too BTW. In Hanahan.. about 2 miles from Tideline fish shop! my name is David.. Happy monday!

Hey man! cool reef! I just got started with my tank last week! I wish i had a bio cube! I hate myself because i went to fish shop to get all my stuff, but found a biocube at superpetz for $68 on sale.. to late now.. anyways, I have a 10g, the RO water and live sand cycled last week, and this week I've added my live rock. I have this strange white fuzz that looks like cobwebs.. anyways, I've have pictures up soon.. oh! I live in Charleston too BTW. In Hanahan.. about 2 miles from Tideline fish shop! my name is David.. Happy monday!

Thanks man....glad to meet another person from the Charleston area on here. There are very few people from South Carolina on here let alone from Charleston. Sounds like you are off to a good start on your reef as well. Do you have a thread going yet? That's your best bet in getting all sorts of help with things. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your tank sometime soon.

On to the pics

Well first off, I have to say that I am kind of kicking myself for not getting a Phoenix 14k right off the bat. I think my corals would be completely different and have a lot more growth had I of done this sooner. Oh well, still learning more every day about this hobby.

Green Pocillipora

CRW_7100.jpg

CRW_7130.jpg

Orange Montipora Capricornis

CRW_7120.jpg

Orange Monti Digitata and Unknown Acro (from PodRod that has a really nice Blue/Green hue to it)

CRW_7121.jpg

CRW_7107.jpg

Right side

CRW_7099.jpg

Left side

CRW_7111.jpg

CRW_7113.jpg

CRW_7124.jpg

CRW_7095.jpg

CRW_7096.jpg

Green w/purple polyp Birdnest You can see where it fell in between some rocks and lost its tissue. It has since been epoxied to a rock :)

CRW_7097.jpg

CRW_7119.jpg

One of my favorite shots in a while

CRW_7098.jpg

Full Tank Shot

CRW_7123.jpg

I also met up with PodRod again today and she was nice enough, I'm talking really nice, to give me a gold Maxima to try out since I lost the last clam. She also give me some wicked rics as well. I grabbed some pictures not too long ago but I haven't been able to process them yet. The clam is incredible. Thanks again PodRod.

Where'd you get those sweet monti caps? Really though, the tanks looks great. I neve see pocillipora and yours looks really kewl. I so want to set up a species tanks with poci and panda gobies. I think you're well on your way to an awesome reef tank. Keep it up.

Bill

Where'd you get those sweet monti caps? Really though, the tanks looks great. I neve see pocillipora and yours looks really kewl. I so want to set up a species tanks with poci and panda gobies. I think you're well on your way to an awesome reef tank. Keep it up.

Bill

Thanks Bill...I got those really nice Monti caps from this great reefer that lives Georgia and was incredibly generous ;) You know, I never really thought about it but you are right that you never really see too many pocillipora in too many tanks. I know that if they get really really large they will start budding off and then will spread in the tank but I'm not too worried about that at this point. Thanks for the compliments on the overall tank...I think it is slowly coming along as well.

Since yesterday's pictures just weren't enough, here are some pics of the Ricordea and Gold Maxima that I got from PodRod yesterday afternoon. Mind you that this was about 30 minutes after putting them all in the tank.

Rics

CRW_7135.jpg

CRW_7139.jpg

Gold Maxima

CRW_7136.jpg

CRW_7137.jpg

CRW_7137_02.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

Yeah, I might have gone a little overboard with 2 Nanostreams!!! :blink: I now have over 50X turnover in my tank which is great but the sand isn't too excited about it. The SPS are loving the flow though which is all I was worried about. It is a lot of flow but, like the Koralia, the flow is really nice and diffuse. What is different between the Nanostreams and the Koralia seems to be the shape of the flow. The nanostreams just get flow EVERYWHERE around then while the Koralia seem to be more direct in front of it.

What is crazy is that some people mod their Nanostreams and get them to push out +1000 gph per pump!!!

I hear ya about mixing up the sand bed too much....that is what happened as a result of all of this yesterday. I definitely don't plan on stirring it up any more now.

This is the reason I went bare bottom in mine. I have a K1, K2 and the Rio 6hf for the return.

K1 = 400gph

k2 = 600gpj

Rio = 350 gph

Total 1350

Total water volume about 25 gallons

Total Turnover = 54x

Everything is directed so that any detritus too heavy to be suspended in the water column is pushed to the far back right corner under the lower vent intake to the sump where it is easily removed during water changes.

Just sayin.........

I hear ya Spanko. I think I would give barebottom a shot if I did it over again, but then again I like the look of the sand in there. I could just blast my corals with a lot more flow if there was no sand.

Here is what I have:

2X Tunze 6025 - 660 gph

Stock Return - 316

Total -- 1636 gph or 65X Turnover

Yeah you are pumping it for sure. If you have gotten them so that you have no sandstorms should be good to go then. By the way I love the Neomeris in your tank. Have you had it long? Does it come and go? Never had any in my tank but I think it looks really cool.

I have minimized it and set it up now so that I don't have any sandstorms...now I am to the point where I have a pretty good idea where there are lower flow areas and where things like Rics and other softies are happy compared to the stonies.

It seems like the Neomeris that I have in my tank comes and goes. After it dwindled in that one spot, I didn't have it for a while. Now it seems like it is popping up here and there in the tank and has been doing a little better. I will of course harvest it in spots where it gets too unruly but I really like the addition of the bright green in certain spots.

wow dude... that Phonoix makes a world of difference... man you got alot new stufff.. i love those gorilla nipple zoas.. i used to have some.. im sure you remember.. that blue/green morph ric is awesome... keep up the excellent work bro

airman_verde04

Man, your pictures are so crisps, do you use a black light or something to bring out some of those colors? anyways, I thinking about getting a koralia nano pump before my tank finishes cycling, what do you think?

Archived